SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BridgetG

Repentance

Hi guys,
I'm new to this website, but I thought I'd ask you a question and I'm sorry if this belongs on a different thread, this is the 1st or 2nd one I found.

My pastor says that repentance is not necessary for Salvation. I've quoted him several scriptures supporting the fact that I believe he is wrong, (especially 2 Cor. 7:10) and many others.
He says that I'm reading the verses out of context, and whenever it says "salvation" we should ask "salvation from what?"
Hell, of course!!! DUH!!! (Well, I didn't say that in so many words, but it was implied.)
How can I get him to believe that Repentance IS necessary? I've asked God twice if I should change churches, and He gave me the same response each time. NO.
He thinks Ray Comfort is an "arminian" who "proof texts" his way around the Scriptures, and came close to calling him a Calvinist! He refuses to listen to "Hell's best Kept Secret" or to read the book.

HELP!!!

2005/9/26 16:05Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Repentance

Is your pastor a calvinist? If so Spurgeon was a calvinist and he demanded repentance.

Reading this makes me want to weep. A person must repent or he/she will perish... Thats coming from the Master himself. You cannot be born again without repentance.

2005/9/26 16:19Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
How can I get him to believe that Repentance IS necessary?

Answer: You can't. It is the job of the Spirit to convict him of his own need to repent. He can only hide behind this Calvin/Armenian verbage for so long.
He is disrepecting you by accusing you of taking scripture out of context. Really he may be running away from God for some reason, and is refusing to heed God's warnings through one of his flock.

If God has called you to stay there, then God will also be your Shepherd. Thankfully you don't have to rely on the Pastor to get to heaven, or to grow in the Lord. Perhaps God is using your situation to teach you a deeper reliance on Him.

In the mean time - just watch how God deals with the situation. And PRAY for divine enlightenment.

You've come to a great place here for food. There are lots of outstanding sermons - articles and audios - enough for a lifetime.
Diane

2005/9/26 16:45Profile
BridgetG

Re:

Thank you both for your comments, I'll be coming back here for regular sustinence!

Gotta go! Way of the Master is on now!!
Be back soon!
In Christ, Bridget

2005/9/26 19:01Profile
BridgetG

Re:

(Darn, it's a repeat!)
Anyways, no, my pastor is NOT a Calvinist, or Arminian, he says these things of Ray Comfort of the website [img]www.livingwaters.com[/img]
One of the things I was wondering, is that my pastor has an MA in Theology from a major university, but Comfort does not. Which makes me think who is right here. I've prayed and prayed about this issue, and studied several (many) Scriptures in context about the whole issue. I can't understand why his thinking is so "off."

2005/9/26 19:12Profile
BridgetG

Re:

the website is www.LivingWaters.com.

2005/9/26 19:13Profile
dullrainbow

Iowa U.S.

Re:

Hello and Welcome

Quote:
One of the things I was wondering, is that my pastor has an MA in Theology from a major university, but Comfort does not. Which makes me think who is right here.

this should answer the above question:-)

1 Corinthians 1:25-27
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

peace and grace

2005/9/26 19:19Profile
BridgetG

Re:

PreachParsly:
By the way, I enjoyed your stories about your Open Air Preaching! AWESOME!!!! That took a tremendous amount of COURAGE!!! I took a class last year training me in the WOTM method of evangelism, and I loved it! It really got me out of my "comfort" zone. (pun intended!)
I love talking about Christ to people!
Keep up the good work! God will bless you!
In Christ, Bridget
:-) :-)

2005/9/26 19:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy