SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matt. 19:12

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Matt. 19:12

(NASB)"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

(In context, the topic is divorce, check it out; Christ said 'some wont receive it' cause its hard to bear)

Greek = [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/2/1127704219-7687.html]eunuchs[/url]

Did Christ condone cutting your....um.. thing off?

Reading the Greek, I also understood He could've meant 'staying celibate', but another person can't 'make you celibate'. So, um, Ouch?

??

2005/9/25 23:19

Re: Matt. 19:12

Mark 9:43
And if thy [u]hand offend[/u] thee, [u]cut it off[/u]: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

45 And if thy [u]foot offend[/u] thee, [u]cut it off[/u]: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

I suspect we find it quite hard to believe Jesus was completely serious when He made these suggestions.

2005/9/25 23:35

Re:

I've heard many say that's 'not literal' but instead more suggestive. (Suggestive is the only word i could think of, but they use another word, and its NOT alligorical; even though I heard that word used with this, and they used it quite well to prove their point).

I don't think Christ would say 'hey cut out your eye!' but instead encourage self-control. A fruit of the Spirit, to all those who are born of it(Spirit), should produce such.

::edit::

But, Christ DID say it was a HARD statement...so...idk. Very complex. (To me at least)

2005/9/25 23:42

Re: cutting away of the flesh

YeshuaIsMyGd quote:

Quote:
Did Christ condone cutting your....um.. thing off?

Thee most important thing that we have to remember is that what Christ is talking about is the kingdom of heaven or the Kingdom of God. This is very important, because if we literally interpreted His words than we create cults, sects, denominations and seperations. And this is why Jesus said that this road is narrow, because the carnel mind is at enmity with God it's not subject unto the law of God neither indeed can be.

Jesus said, "the words that I speak they are Spirit and they are Life".

The very words that Jesus spoke were profound, just mentioning the word TRUTH caused Pilate to ask, "What is truth?" Today with so many so called truth's littering this world, many would just laugh at you when you say that "I have the truth".

Think about it, listen to the words of Jesus, "If your hand causes you to sin cut it off"

Every person on planet earth since the fall would have no hands, because "all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God", so Christ was not talking in the literal sense.

So what was He talking about then?

I have no idea!

LS

2006/1/1 11:00

Re:

Quote:
So what was He talking about then?

Jesus was talking about choosing to remain single - unmarried - strongly suggesting that there are some who are particularly [i][b]called[/b][/i] to [b]be single[/b], although the call goes out to whoever will receive it.

2006/1/1 11:47
groh_frog

Re:

I was just the other week having a conversation with a short-time mentor of mine. We were discussing homosexuality, actually, and the excuse that often comes of "God made me that way."

The simple reply, as evidenced here, is that true- we are all predisposed to sin against God in some form or another. But, we are also called to be made holy. Where one brother might have been particularily predisposed to Alcoholism, another might have been a slave to sexual immorality. Does this mean that we continue on in this way? That the theif, because he was given hands, should continue to use them in this way? No! Rather, we cut off our sin. The Alcoholic should become devoid of Alcohol. The sexually immoral person should control his body. And likewise, the homosexual must control himself.

Grace and Peace...

2006/1/1 12:20Profile
groh_frog

Re: Matt. 19:12

Regarding eunuchs, Paul talks further on about this, saying "I wish all men could be as I am..." but further that not all are strong enough- therefore it is better to be married than burn with desire. Simply put, if you are strong enough, you have much freedom in being single. Once you are married, you will begin to have many more cares and worries than if it was your life alone that you command. Some will choose to remain single for the kingdom, giving up their rights to marriage to instead serve wholeheartedly the Lord.

Grace and Peace...

2006/1/1 12:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy