SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A hole in your heart?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hredii

Fresno CA

A hole in your heart?

Lately I have been questioning the message that is so frequently heard "Everyone has a God shape hole in their heart that only God can fill".

I dont see the scriptures that would back this up. I might be blind, but this is why I am bringing this before the SI community.

If any of you know of any scriptures that would point either way. I would appreciate anyones input. :-)

2005/9/24 20:05Profile
Compton

Re: A hole in your heart?

The question has come up before...here were my comments...

The original phrase "God-shaped hole in human consciousness" came from Jean-Paul Sartre, the French existentialist. He used the concept in several instances and had variations on it like this...

"...our existential dilemma would leave humanity conscious of a hole the size of God."

The concept was picked up and softened by evangelicals into "a God-shaped hole in our hearts" to reflect mans' need for God I suppose. 'Sartre never intend his concept as a prayful reflection about finding fulfillment in God. His philosophy was much colder and darker...

"Life has no meaning the moment you loose the illusion of being eternal....Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." (L'Être et le Néant / Being and Nothingness, 1943)

Along the lines of man's need for God, here is a slightly more famous and faithful quote by Augustine.

...Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee.

This is a beautiful quote in its' proper place. However, I think Augustine would agree that prioritizing man's thirst for personal fulfillment over and before Gods' right to glory is a weak foundation for preaching and accepting the gospel.

Blessings,

MC

2005/9/24 20:30Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re: A hole in your heart?

I have also heard this and wrote about it in the past. I thinks this (you have a God shaped hole in your heart) goes along with the ask Jesus into your heart to be saved message. I believe in many cases this message can produce what many refer to as false converts. Here are some brief comments I have written about this in the past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Countless of millions have asked Jesus to come and fill a “God shaped hole” they have in their hearts that only He can fill. Millions are bogged down with the weight of modern capitalistic life and the hectic shuffle and bustle that only creates meaninglessness and despair. Countless numbers of these millions are searching for some solution to the problems of modern life have invited Jesus into their heart in hopes of some relief. The preacher tells them “Give your heart to Jesus and invite Jesus into your heart”, "Let Jesus fill that God shaped hole in your heart", “Accept Jesus as your Savior” and that is what they do.

So, what’s wrong with that?

It presents God as a beggar just hoping you will let him into your busy and hectic life. This presentation robs God of His sovereignty, righteousness, holiness and justice. This is a misrepresentation of God. It is a lie, plain and simple! God is not a beggar just hoping you will let him into your busy and hectic life.

We are never told in Scripture to ask Jesus to fill a God shaped hole in our heart. You can and are told to make Jesus the Lord and Master of your life, thus your life as you know it will cease to exist. When Jesus is Lord and Master of your life you will live every second of your life in service and submission to the will of your Lord and Master, you will be a literal love slave for Jesus - only then will He become your Savior. Jesus is not begging you to accept Him as Savior and fill a God shaped hole in your heart - He is inviting you to lose your life, pick up your cross, deny yourself and become a love slave for Him making Him your Lord and Master.

What must I do? So what must a person do in order to be saved? Repent and be baptized for the remission of sin, have application orientated faith (believe), make Jesus your Lord and Master, pick up your cross, deny yourself, be obedient and follow Christ. (walk as He walked) Check it out for yourself - please look up the following Scriptures on salvation. (Rom 10:14-17; Prov 28:9; Isa 55:3; Acts 11:14; Rom 5:1; Heb 11:6; Jn 3:16; 8:24; Acts 16:31; Lk 13:3; 2 Cor 7:10; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; Mt 10:32-33; Lk 9:26; Rom 10:9-10; Acts 8:36-37; 1 Pe 3:21; Mk 16:16; Jas 2:24; 1 Jn 3:24; Jn 6:28-29; Heb 5:8-9; Mt 10:22; Rev 2:10; Acts 2:40; Acts 15:11; Rom 3:24; Eph 2:8-9; Tit 2:11-12)

The Truth. The truth is every man on the face of the planet has a “God shaped hole in their heart“. The lie is that that hole is contentment, purpose, financial security, peace, etc. The truth is that mans heart problem is righteousness. Instead of telling people that Jesus fulfills, we must tell people that God judges and Jesus’ work on the cross can satisfy Gods judgment and wrath that is currently upon them...only if they repent, turn from their sin and put their faith in Jesus by making Him Lord and Master and following His commands."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This God shaped hole in your heart preaching most of the time is part of a humanistic (God will make you happy and solve all your problems) message that has been wrapped around some Scripture and Bible stories disguised as Christianity.

2005/9/24 20:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy