SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Understanding Katrina and Rita...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Rahman... speaking as a person who is a combat veteran, I dont fear much. My concern is for my children. I dont usually think of myself when I contemplate whats going on in the world. But with 4 young ones coming up, I'm a dad... I do get concerned for what they will face. I know they are in God's hands, but what kind of father would I be if it didnt bother me, ya know?

Krispy

2005/9/22 15:33
Rahman

Re:

Amen Krisp ...

i totally feel you on that one ... The most disturbing thing to me as a father and grand father is watching all the pictures of the missing children from Katrina ...

it's funny that you should mention the children because i started to include this as a part of my last post ... In the small (warning) ministry that i've had thus far i remember one night crying out to our Lord in desperation my major concern for my 9 grands, and my little niece and nephew ... i began saying to our Lord, "Lord ain't nobody trying to hear about a need for mass repentance, and this otherwise doom and gloom message you've given me ... In fact Lord, nobody seems to believe it - but Lord i believe You - And if it be Your will, for the sake of my children (meaning my grands, niece and nephew -for my children are 34, 32 & 30), will you honor my faith with your divine favor, by enabling me to keep them from having to face the harsh brunt of total need?" ... Then i kinda stuck in there that scripture that says "it's a good man that leaves a legacy to his children's children" ... That's the Jacob in me ...

But you're more than right on that one bro ... "What kind of fathers would we be"? ... From now on i will be sure to include your children in with my prayer request for my own ... As two patriarchs seeking to please Christ, let's touch and agree in our faith in Him to rest in His will for our little ones ... Amen

2005/9/22 16:06Profile
Compton

Re: Rahman

Quote:
Pure logic does in fact seem to cancel out God having any direct hand in these catastrophies ...

Rahman,

I guess I wasn't thinking that you were illogical...I just wanted to bring up the simple fact that hurricanes are not uncommon during hurricane season.

In any case, it seems the true source of your concern is not a reaction to events happening...but of some internal conviction or unction you are sensing. I certainly have no argument against that...especially when your aim is for people to become serious about their walks with God!

Bless you brother.

MC

2005/9/22 16:06Profile
Rahman

Re:

Brother Mike you wrote;

"I guess I wasn't thinking that you were illogical...I just wanted to bring up the simple fact that hurricanes are not uncommon in hurricane season."

i understand where you're coming from, and i know you weren't trying to say i'm illogical ... Actually you, or anybody else doesn't have to, because i have my moments where i try my best to tell myself how illogical i am in reference to this topic ... i've actually stood in front of my bathroom mirror and verbally said out loud, "Dude, you need to snap out of this!" ...

But what you said here is a real blessing to me, and totally answers why i can't shake this burden ... You said;

"it seems the true source of your concern is not a reaction to events happening...but of some internal conviction or unction you are sensing. I certainly have no argument against that...especially when your aim is for people to become serious about their walks with God!"

Eureka! brother Mike ... That's it!

God Bless you too brother ... God bless us all!

2005/9/22 16:15Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Christ's disciples asked Jesus, who sinned that this man was born blind?

Setting Christ's answer aside for a moment, the question was asked because his Jewish disciples believed (as was the common thinking at the time) that -any- sort of calamity was, in fact, a judgment from God. If you were born blind, it was God's judgment. If you came down from Galilee to sacrifice at the temple and Pilates Soldiers killed you at the altar - it was God's judgment. If you were in Siloam minding your own business when a stone tower collapsed upon you - it was God's judgement. That is what the Jews thought.

Christ's explained that this man's blindness wasn't a judgment.

That rocked their little world.

Christ went on - the slaughter at the altar, the tower in Siloam - these things didn't happen because these men were worse sinners...

That there is the key.

The people in New Orleans are not worse sinners than any one of us, the calamity that has fallen upon them is this - they died - and we will all face a similar calamity, so it behooves us to repent - that is, to settle with the judge as we are being taken to the court.

I don't deny that the calamity might be a judgment against your nation, or even against the city of New Orleans itself (especially considering the biblical precident set at Sodom and Gomorrah!) But I do not pretend that the people in New Orleans are worse sinners or more numerous than those found anywhere else in America. Frankly God could rain fire and brimstone down on any and every city in North America - and be fully justified in doing it - for all have sinned.

Whatever God's intention was (Naham 1:3 - God has his way in the whirlwind and in the storm), it certainly is significant that "Katrina" comes from a Greek word that means to "make pure" ...

Just my thoughts.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/9/22 16:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
...for the sake of my children (meaning my grands, niece and nephew -for my children are 34, 32 & 30)

Rahman... I appreciate your prayers, brother! I'm young enough to be one of your kids... I turned 38 today. lol

I'm w/ya in prayer, brother. I'll keep your grands, neices, nephews and your kids in my prayers as well.

Krispy

2005/9/22 16:53

Re: Understanding Katrina and Rita

Quote:
Christ went on - the slaughter at the altar, the tower in Siloam - these things didn't happen because these men were worse sinners...

That there is the key.

[b]The people in New Orleans are not worse sinners than any one of us[/b], the calamity that has fallen upon them is this - they died - and we will all face a similar calamity, so it behooves us to repent - that is, to settle with the judge as we are being taken to the court.

This thought had crossed my mind.

2005/9/22 17:57
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Setting Christ's answer aside for a moment, the question was asked because his Jewish disciples believed (as was the common thinking at the time) that -any- sort of calamity was, in fact, a judgment from God. If you were born blind, it was God's judgment. If you came down from Galilee to sacrifice at the temple and Pilates Soldiers killed you at the altar - it was God's judgment. If you were in Siloam minding your own business when a stone tower collapsed upon you - it was God's judgement. That is what the Jews thought.

Indeed, they tended to think such. Such was and is a common view for about any thing bad that goes wrong. Job's "friends" had bought into an entire retribution theology as well, that viewed all calamity as judgment for sin. Though because we live in a fallen world as a result of Adam's sin, such has a hint of truth to it- though is a bit naive to think such, for as Job pointed out to them, and as the Lord also said, the rain falls on the just and unjust alike.

We also must seriously heed the Lord's words in Luke regarding the tower of Siloam and the the mixing of Jews blood with the sacrifices, and consider condemning others out of a sense of self-righteousness- which is the point of the entire story/teaching regarding these things.

Indeed, there are probably much worse cities out there than New Oreleans, and some of us might be worse than many of them and much more deserving of God's wrath. So we should heed, consider, and repent just as the Lord said, lest something worse comes upon us.

Also for that matter, many probably think of New Orleans sins as primarily sexual, and see a great parallel between them and Sodom. However, there are worse sins than homosexuality. It is interesting to see that the prophet Ezekiel didn't condemn Sodom for homosexuality, but rather, for having an easy-going-life with many people who were wealthy, but also a lot of people who were poor and neglected by the wealthy. Was this not indeed the case in "The Big Easy?"

Jesus said the weigthier matters of the law are justice, mercy, and faithfullness. Hmm.... I didn't see homoexuality on that list. Remember, homosexuality is not the only sin in the OT called an abomination. Indeed, an unjust scale is likewise called an abomination!

Are you just? That is, are you fair? Do you treat your children with favoritism? Are you selfish? Do you look the other way in matters when it is in your advantage to do so?

Are you merciful? That is, do you treat others just the opposite as they deserve? When everybody else is ready to stone another person for their transgression, are you willing to show them compassion and mercy? Remember, it is the merciful who shall receive mercy. There are homosexuals and prostitutes going into the kingdom before the unmerciful. Sadly, many "righteous" people because they are full of an unmerciful spirit wouldn't dare help those who are are in the "icky" sins, and thus will shut them out of the kingdom of heaven with them e.g. the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Are you faithful? When you say something, does that seal the deal, or do you need a team of lawyers to write out a contract for you? Are you constantly late for work? Are you untrustworthy because of great inconsistancy?

Jesus said these matters are the more important things, and are much graver sins than homosexuality. Repent, or you will all likewise parish!

2005/9/22 18:42Profile

Re:

Quote:and we will all face a similar calamity, so it behooves us to repent - that is, to settle with the judge as we are being taken to the court.

Amen Dorcas and whoever you've quoted, because The Word says, Judgment must begin at the House of God first.

Would you all forgive me if I said, the Lord laid something on my heart last nite really strong, and I fear saying it, but I felt HIS LOVE for all at the same time too.

I got a bad buzz of the PM thingy.

I felt the Lord was saying that it is being used for backstabbing each other here.

Lord, if this is true, I pray you convict and forgive us and I pray for an open-ness between us and a sincere love between us, so that you do not judge us, and "with-hold" Personal Revival from us for speaking two-ways.

I love getting the PMs I've received from many here .... so that is not it at all.
I just felt the Lord saying, it has been misused. And fear judgment as much as any here would.

God Bless us all with His true Love and Open honesty and Unity.

His Love.

2005/9/22 18:49
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

There has been a time of sorrows in the Last months there has been hurricane katrina , the london bombin g, this hurricane but should not we repent first.

uke 13: 1 - 35 - Study This Chapter

1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners F35 above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

2005/9/22 19:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy