SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Wrong Emphasis ?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Wrong Emphasis ?

Here is a piece from Random Articles, which I thought might be an interesting discussion. I'm particularly interested in the verses the author quotes in defence of his thesis. Do you agree with him?

The Wrong Emphasis by AW Pink

Once a man makes the conversion of sinners his prime design and all-consuming end and NOT THE GLORY OF GOD, he is exceedingly apt to adopt a wrong course. [b]Instead of striving to preach the Truth in all its purity, he will tone it down so as to make it more palatable to the unregenerate[/b]. Impelled by a single force, moving in one fixed direction, [u]his object is to make conversion easy[/u]; and therefore, favorite passages (like John 3:16) are dwelt upon incessantly, while [u]others are ignored or pared away[/u]. It inevitably reacts upon his own theology; and various verses in the Word are shunned, if not repudiated. What place will he give in his thoughts to such declarations as, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?" (Jer. 13:23); "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw Him" (John 6:44); "Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you" (John 15:14)?

He will be sorely tempted to modify the truth of God's sovereign election, of Christ's particular redemption, of the imperative necessity for the super-natural operations of the Holy Spirit.

2005/9/21 18:51
LetUsPray

Re: The Wrong Emphasis ?

I believe that what AW Pink writes in this article is correct. At least, I agree with what he writes. An Ethiopian cannot change his skin or a leopard his spots. But God can change the heart of man by His Spirit, man cannot.

My experience is that often the emphasis is on “easy” conversions, that aren’t conversions at all. Many people who “pray the prayer,” aren’t really saved. They are drawn by a message loaded with promises about troubles that will disappear and happiness that will come.

If we aren’t drawn by the Father we cannot come to Jesus. Since He said it, I choose to believe it. It is the work of the Holy Spirit that brings us to real conviction and repentance. A smooth talking preacher may get a lot of people to the front to pray and may be even cry, but if it wasn’t from the Spirit, it likely is all in vain.

If all conversions were real, the Church wouldn’t be in the state that it is.

2005/9/21 19:42Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Once a man makes the conversion of sinners his prime design and all-consuming end and NOT THE GLORY OF GOD, he is exceedingly apt to adopt a wrong course

This short article by A. Pink is like a dagger driving into the very essence of so much of what we call evangelicalism.

These words need to be shouted from the roof tops.

It's time for us to stop playing God, to stop trying to set our own ends - our objectives, and let God be in charge.

Evangelicalism has become like a commercial industry: We have something to sell, and we'll do whatever advertising we think we should to convince you that you need it now.
And God gets to take the back seat.

We know we should bear fruit. But in the Bible I don't think that fruit is the number of souls we "win" but the character of godliness produced in us as a result of the Spirit working within us.
Diane

2005/9/21 21:05Profile

Pink is a strong teacher of Calvinism, so though he starts out sounding like most of what we read about 'proper' emphasis in Evangelical methods ... the quote below, is Pink referring to "Election".

Understanding that "John 3:16" is brought out by him because it says "whosoever".

Calvinists sort of choke on the "whosoever will" parts in Scripture.

(No offense if we've got any 5 points/TULIP folks here :-o )

Quote:
What place will he give in his thoughts to such declarations as, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?" (Jer. 13:23); "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw Him" (John 6:44); "Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you" (John 15:14)?

He will be sorely tempted to modify the truth of God's sovereign election....

Don't want to debate Calvinism here, just thought I'd share why I won't read Pink.

He was probably a very nice man and had much else good to say ... but as a few of the Reformed group do, they can over-hit on it.

The conversation always go back to the 5 points, no matter what the conversation started out about.

2005/9/21 23:42

Dear Annie,

Your post shows exactly what makes SI such a very interesting place! I did notice his reference to election and wondered how he'd made the quantum leap. Another article of his I've read, was not about this at all. And it really was useful.

Quote:
Calvinists sort of choke on the "whosoever will" parts in Scripture.....

The conversation always go back to the 5 points, no matter what the conversation started out about.

Thank you for this observation. I find it very helpful.

EDIT: come to that, I was also hopeful that

Quote:
Pink says '... of the imperative necessity for the super-natural operations of the Holy Spirit.'

might mean there was a fibre of liberty in his doctrine. EDIT end.

2005/9/22 7:46
rookie

Re:

Methods, methods, methods all are vanity. I believe that those who witness Christ are most equipt to sow and water. What I mean is that those whose lives glorify Christ will be able to water and sow with power. It is Christ who gives the wisdom to those who speak to those who are lost.

One preaches God loves you, another preaches the Law, but it is Christ in you that reflects the light that draws men and women to Christ.

Christ both came to save and to judge. If only we would listen.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/9/22 11:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy