SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Greetings from St. Athanasius Anglican Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Fr_Bill

North Texas

Greetings from St. Athanasius Anglican Church

Greetings. I was surfing around some blogs I regularly read and somehow wandered into here. So, I thought I'd check in and out from time to time to see how things go.

I'm a father of four, married 24 years to the same woman, and serve as vicar of St. Athanasius Anglican Church. I don't expect to find a lot of my ecclesiastical peers here, but stranger things have happened!

Fr. Bill

2005/9/19 12:20Profile
LetUsPray

Re: Greetings from St. Athanasius Anglican Church

Quote:
I don't expect to find a lot of my ecclesiastical peers here, but stranger things have happened!

Welcome Fr. Bill,

If we are in the Lord, aren't we brothers? That may be just as good as peers. I hope that we see a lot of you.

2005/9/19 14:03Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Greetings from St. Athanasius Anglican Church

Welcome Fr. Bill,

You would be surprised and hopefully, pleasantly so. This often resembles a M.A.S.H. unit around here at times but by and large we are all just trying to go on with the Lord helping each other along the way.

A practical stranger in one of those 'chance' meetings in a secular bookstore sent me a copy of "St. Athanasius On the Incarnation" a few years ago, another of those to put on the re-read list, it was appropriately timed as I had begun the path backwards towards our heritage and history.

Would love to hear your perspective here, perhaps we all might learn more from each other.

A warm welcome to you!

2005/9/19 15:32Profile
Fr_Bill

North Texas

Re:

Quote:
You would be surprised and hopefully, pleasantly so.

We'll see. I searched on the member database using the words "anglican" and "episcopal" and got nada ('cept myself!). I even tried "catholic" to see what would happen. Again, nada. But, I wasn't expecting a hot bed of Prayer Book faith :-? , so I'm not disappointed.

Quote:
..."St. Athanasius On the Incarnation"...

Yes, that is a challenging thing. I've always been fascinated that Athanasius' work was written for the man in the street, not the academics. Today, it's usually the academics in the Early Church History or History of Doctrine departments of seminaries who read it. My copy has an intro by C. S. Lewis. Yours too?

Quote:
I had begun the path backwards towards our heritage and history.

That's not a bad way to put it, I suppose. I came into the faith via a door opened by Southern Baptists at a summer revival in the deserts of Southern California. The path from there (a long one) has been leading "back" in many ways. I think I'm pretty well rooted now in the faith of the English Reformation, at least as it settled out in the 17th Century. But, those roots go way, way back, far back before the Reformation.

What's ironic (to me, at any rate) is that I've also retained most of the fundy-Bible-church theological convictions I acquired in my middle years and ministry. You have to back a ways to find Anglicans who believed, taught, and defended inerrancy, for example. Maybe I was born three hundred years late. :-P

Fr. Bill

2005/9/19 16:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy