SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The End Is Nigh!!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

The End Is Nigh!!

Strangely simple question: Must a Christian be apocalyptic? Can a Christian be prophetic without being apocalyptic?

By apocalyptic, I am not referring to a belief in the cosmic battle of good and evil, but the overarching fatalistic belief that this world must very soon be engulfed in a great catastrophic conclusion for mankind.

Can a Christian remain prophetic, speaking and acting as Jesus, without the presently accepted doomsday metanarritive? Is there the possibility of Earth’s continuation? I’m not implying any man-wrought Kingdom of Heaven on earth theology by any means. I’m simply asking, what if the Earth has another 100 years…or 500 years? What if mankind’s troubled history continues longer then our wildest expectations?

The question isn’t merely academic. From my Christian childhood, I grew up assuming the end is near. (I never thought I would see 40!) Even though I affirmed sola scriptura, I effortlessly projected contemporary geo-political and technological scenarios onto the pages of Revelation and Daniel. I was agog with Gog and Magog!

Although these various imaginary plots quickly become obsolete and disproved, newer ones were written and sold as bible lore. Today, in spite of countless missed predictions; the practice of mixing news paper and scripture as a credible area of serious bible study is only growing. End times fans are as mysteriously and stubbornly loyal as baseball fans!!

Now, as a parent of children myself, I feel responsible to at least question this widespread extra-biblical practice. What if fear and hopelessness is withering the church in an hour that calls for courage and hope? I sometimes wonder if Winston Churchill had shared our apocalyptic convictions, would England have survived? Can a Christian be counted on in the next Cuban missile crisis? Or will he faint under his fatalism?

Now we know that there is an end to this age with a promise of another to come...but what if there is no end in our lifetime? What if World War 3 does indeed come, but it’s not over Israel? What if the church doesn’t apostate, but arises in the southern hemisphere thriving for many centuries? What if America isn’t militarily destroyed but grows even stronger in the next 50 years? What if China becomes the world's largest consumer market by the end of this century? What if there is an energy revolution that moves the developed nations beyond fossil fuels?

What if history, though difficult and painful, doesn’t unfold according to our popular script? Can we handle it? Is our only vision for this generation a 3-act play of global despotism, societal collapse, and ultimate nuclear holocaust? In case the future is anti-climatic can we adjust, or will we keep pushing back the Armageddon timetable, retooling our fatalism to fit developments in the world?

I ask these questions as transparently as I can. I’m not angling or waiting to spring some theological mousetrap …just asking the question.

Can a Christian be prophetic without being apocalyptic?

MC

2005/9/18 20:18Profile

Re: The End Is Nigh!!

I'll try to answer the question in the way you asked it.

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Can a Christian be prophetic without being apocalyptic(By apocalyptic, I am not referring to a belief in the cosmic battle of good and evil, but the overarching fatalistic belief that this world must very soon be engulfed in a great catastrophic conclusion for mankind.)?

Or Can a Christian remain prophetic, speaking and acting as Jesus, without the presently accepted doomsday metanarritive?

Yes, I believe so. I know a few preachers that TRY (doesn't always suceed) to just stay away from End Time prophesy. Let the events unfold themselves and just focus on the Lord and His calling for their life. One example is my pastor. I don't remember when is the last time he talked about 'the end is nigh'. He has done lots of studing on it all, and as most people have a sense of urgancy in his heart(thinking truly the end is nigh, but doesn't preach on it). My pastor focus' on 'what does the sheep need to hear?'.

I (personally) think 'what if' all the time. "what if our interuptations are completly wrong, what if tomarrow Jesus could come back" (I think closer, just cause im a zealous kid

2005/9/18 20:44

Re:

A super quick answer.

Jesus said, "that" generation that sees these things begin, will see the whole sha-bang come to it's end or fulfillment.

And He Comes with a Bang. So ... I think "He" was both.

Love.
Annie

2005/9/19 1:40
ginnyrose

Mississippi

To answer your question I would think "NO". The reason I say this is because of Revelation. An idealist thinks he can have utopia here on this planet, but Revelation clearly teaches us otherwise as does history. The fact the church still survives is a wonderful testimony to the faithfullness of the the LORD and that it is the real thing. Jesus also promises there will be persecution.

Nope, life will be hard because the enemy is lose and will work hard to destroy us all and will not let up until he is cast into the fire and locked up for all eternity. So therefore the message will be apocalyptic in my opinion.

ginnyrose

2005/9/19 9:58Profile

Compton,

Your questions are why I pay no attention to the book of Revelation whatsoever. It is enough to seek out that of God in every person and follow Jesus' command to love and forgive one another. This is difficult enough without throwing in highly questionable and indecipherable prophesies about end times and pondering how we will act and what we will do during those end times. What a waste of time! Stick to the basics and it will all work out somehow.

Bubbaguy

2005/9/19 11:15

Re:

Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and many, many more, are what Jesus thought about eschatology.

If we say it doesn't matter, than we have to Rip Out a whole lot of His Words and tell Him, it just doesn't matter.

We can't feel that way. That's a sad way to feel.
Because His Second Coming is a Happy thing, even if it is preceded by a a whole bunch of "Stuff".

He said, to "watch the signs" and that He's going to show us things to come, by His Holy Spirit... so eschatology, To God, is as an important Doctrine of the Church as any other doctrine.

It's His Second and Final Coming. That's a big deal. But He said, to "know the signs" so we won't "be deceived" and miss the whole sha-bang.
We can't throw out any of His Word as Unimportant.

Love y'all.
Annie

2005/9/19 13:31
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Bubbaguy,

With all due respect, your post is completely foolish and ignorant. You said, [i]"I pay no attention to the book of Revelation whatsoever...what a waste of time"[/i]. This is absolutely perposterous!
A person does not simply throw aside one book of the Bible for whatever reason... Man shall not live by bread alone but on EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

[i]"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."[/i] - [b]Revelation 1:1-3[/b]

Can you honestly read that and then post something as incredulous as you did?

Dear friend, be mindful of your words and actions.

2005/9/19 13:43Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Brother Compton,

The tone of the New Testament seems to show a people who expected Jesus to come back in their lifetime. It seems to me, we are to be expecting his return in our own lifetime too. This really isn't fatalistic when you consider that we will be with Jesus at that time. Even though what you said is very true about the Church age going past our lifetimes, we still need to live our lives as though he were coming today and at the same time prepare our lives as though he wasn't.

Personally, I think that if it is at all possible, your children should be led to prepare for the future by getting an education. If they are married, they should try to make security for their family by purchasing a home if the Lord opens up that door. In either case, yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come; this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/9/19 14:07Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Great post, GaryE. Amen.

2005/9/19 14:28Profile

Re:

Eli and Granny,

it says:

"to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass"

So, the prophesies of Revelation must have already come to pass, if you are a person who believes the Bible.

Gary got it right and is essentially saying the same thing I did. Live for today; follow Christ in the most loving way you can and don't let cares of tomorrow impede you. That is sufficient.

Bubbaguy

2005/9/19 15:35

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy