Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival: To the Individual Only

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Revival: To the Individual Only

This daily devotional by Tozer was posted today September 15 ...

Revival: To the Individual Only

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
--2 Corinthians 5:10

No church is any better or worse than the individual Christians who compose it....

One consequence of our failure to see clearly the true nature of revival is that we wait for years for some supernatural manifestation that never comes, overlooking completely our own individual place in the desired awakening.

Whatever God may do for a church must be done in the single unit, the one certain man or woman. Some things can happen only to the isolated, single person; they cannot be experienced en masse.

Statistics show, for instance, that 100 babies are born in a certain city on a given day. Yet the birth of each baby is for the baby a unique experience, an isolated, personal thing. Fifty people die in a plane crash; while they die together they die separately, one at a time, each one undergoing the act of death in a loneliness of soul as utter as if he alone had died. Both birth and death are experienced by the individual in a loneness as complete as if only that one person had even known them.

Three thousand persons were converted at Pentecost, but each one met his sin and his Savior alone. The spiritual birth, like the natural one, is for each one a unique, separate experience shared in by no one. And so with that uprush of resurgent life we call revival. It can come to the individual only. [i]The Size of the Soul[/i], 14-15.

"Lord, make me sensitive this morning to my 'own individual place in the desired awakening.' Whatever work needs to be done to this 'isolated, single person'--do it today, I pray. Amen."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This recurring mailing from the daily Tozer devotionals from Literature Ministries International. For more information about LMI:
http://lmi.gospelcom.net/

Again, Tozer asks, "Why look for acceptance 'without' when all that matters is within?"

Nothing else [i]in this world [/i] matters but your relationship with Christ and how the right relationship positively affects those that surround you.

2005/9/15 7:06Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: Revival: To the Individual Only

I would agree that I need a revial because how are we going to preach if we are not revived are selves

2005/9/15 14:18Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

That was something I realized, out of ignorance, that I was looking for revival in others for quite some time, and not myself. When I turned inward I was revived in a mighty way. Orr's words echo exactly those of Tozer. Though, when revival hits it does affect multitudes, we should be ready to be convicted and broken ourselves. Those comments Ravenhill made about preachers breaking down in tears at meetings is sad, but good and refreshing, too, as that is what we need.

We need congregations and pulpits and every one in between cleansed by the Holy Ghost, myself included. If we look past ourselves, we probably already missed the boat. I believe when we turn inwardly, we'll see the revival boat of the Spirit headed right at us.

2005/9/16 1:12Profile

Re:

I loved the message by Tozer about personal revival.

And LGB, this one should be your signature.
Did you concoct it yourself ... it's Fantastic, to say the least.

Quote from LGB: [b]If we look past ourselves, we probably already missed the boat. I believe when we turn inwardly, we'll see the revival boat of the Spirit headed right at us.[/b]

Wow ! I'm impressed sir. I sure do like it.

Thanks all also.

Annie

2005/9/16 5:59
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Continuing on the theme of personal revivial here is Today's Tozer Devotional ...

September 16

Revival: Meet God Alone First

But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
--Matthew 6:6

Nothing can prevent the spiritual rejuvenation of the soul that insists upon having it. Though that solitary man must live and walk among persons religiously dead, he may experience the great transformation as certainly and as quickly as if he were in the most spiritual church in the world.

The man that will have God's best becomes at once the object of the personal attention of the Holy Spirit. Such a man will not be required to wait for the rest of the church to come alive. He will not be penalized for the failures of his fellow Christians, nor be asked to forego the blessing till his sleepy brethren catch up. God deals with the individual heart as exclusively as if only one existed....

Every prophet, every reformer, every revivalist had to meet God alone before he could help the multitudes. The great leaders who went on to turn thousands to Christ had to begin with God and their own soul.

The plain Christian of today must experience personal revival before he can hope to bring renewed spiritual life to his church. The Size of the Soul, 15-16.

"Lord, I pray this morning the words of Jonathan Edwards: 'Resolved...that all men would live for the glory of God; resolved, second...that if nobody else does, I will.' Amen."

So again he asks...so what is stopping you from breathing life back into a cold frame? he's raised the dead before, shall we doubt Him now?

I love the quote from Edwards ... had that as my signature for about a year until I discovered [ on this site] C. T. Studd's [b][i]Let us not glide through this world and then slip quietly into heaven, without having blown the trumpet loud and long for our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Let us see to it that the devil will hold a thanksgiving service in hell, when he gets the news of our departure from the field of battle. [/i][/b]

2005/9/16 6:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I enjoyed this devotional.

Here is a quote from your post:

One consequence of our failure to see clearly the true nature of revival is that we wait for years for some supernatural manifestation that never comes, overlooking completely our own individual place in the desired awakening.

It seems to me this is a real problem: we expect large masses of people to repent and entire communities make a turn around. While it has happened in the past, it more often happens one at a time.

A few years ago I did aome research for a genealogy book I was composing. In the interviewing, i was surprised to learn of a revival that had come to one small rural community and how it effected my grandfather's family (his siblings) and their families. I was awed, filled with wonder and delight. And I am a beneficiary of this revival! Now this family is in great need of another revival...and it may be happening one at a time..starting with me.

ginnyrose

2005/9/16 13:19Profile

Re:

Amen ginnyrose and freedbyjc.

These have been good and worth a second and third glance.

If you have any more on personal revival, I would like to read more.

Thank you freedbyjc.

Annie

2005/9/16 23:21
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Two of the individual prayers that brought about Holy Ghost revival are documented in Duncan Campbell's testimony.

Duncan Campbell expected his life to end during WWI. After being put on the back of a horse with blood pouring out of his body, he then realized he was not fit to meet with God. Expecting to soon meet with the Lord, he prayed:

"God make me as pure as a saved sinner can be."

He then witnessed many conversions under his personal ministry.

Years later, one of the young men on the isle of Barvas was praying with others for a revival. He addressed the others, telling them that he did not see how God would answer their prayers for revival if they themselves were not rightly related to God. So, in accordance with Psalm 24, he prayed:

"God, are my hands clean? Is my heart pure?"

I cannot explain what happened better than Cambpell did himself: "The moment that that happened in the barn, a power was let loose in Barvas that shook the whole of Lewis."

Campbell explains that while he did not personally bring revival to Barvas, he claims that the movements of God in extraordinary soul-winning power that he witnessed could be traced to these prayers of individual people, and traced to an individual occasion of prayer.

2005/9/24 17:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy