SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mentorship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ellie

UK

Re: Mentorship

YeshuaIsMyGd,

May God your Father be your Mentor, your friend, your Father. That would fill the empty void within you.
And that your Father (God) who loves you his son, would bring to you the human friendship, that HE would have for you.
As you let him lead you, relying on him and in him as the Father who loves you and wants you to look to him.
This that I give to you, is what has and does and is doing in my life.
He has taken me through many things where I had only him to look to.
People don't always know the best for you.
God does because he knows everything about you.
Seek prayer for all these things, be prayed for by your church. Thats all part of what God your Father, wants for you.

ellie

2005/9/19 7:29Profile

Re:

I resently had 3 things going on.

One is I got a cool verse. When I was discouraged and was like 'im walking in the desert' I stumbled on an awesome verse.

Deut. 32:10 (NASB)
10 "He found him in a desert land,
And in the howling waste of a wilderness;
He encircled him, He cared for him,
He guarded him as the pupil of His eye.

"as the pupil of His eye". Hmm.

Also, about 2 mins ago, a brother in the Lord clearly explained to me what a Mentor really is. He mentors many brothers in the Lord. He kinda said 'teaching, encouraging, challenging, and knowing the "secret stuff" within their lives'. He then explained to me, how he cut off someone in traffic and how he was 'torn up in love' with his mentors.

I have 4 in mind. My Senior Pastor, one of the elders of my church, A deacon in a Pentacostal Holiness Church, and him. (not God, the brother in the Lord) God is my ultimate mentor. But, it is always great for someone to build you up. Paul was with Barnabus for a while. Timothy had Paul. Elisha had Elijah ? (Maybe?) The apostles had Jesus. Need more?

Thanks brothers for your attempt. Please lift up a prayer on my behalf.

2005/9/29 14:14
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Mentors

Quote:
I told him I wanna be completly filled with the Spirit in everything that I do. And he suggested to me "A Practice of the Presense of God" by Brother Lawerance.

Hey Joshua,

Here is an online copy of "Practicing the Presense of God"

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/lawrence/practice.html

Highly recommened and highly encouraged to put into practice... This is one of those books that can stay with you for the rest of your life, it radically changed what I understood prayer to be... in the sense of "[i]without ceasing[/i]" a number of years ago.

Speaking of mentors, there are quite a few here as well, depending on your perspective.

2005/9/29 15:30Profile

Re: Mentors

A few things brother. One you, by the Grace of God, answered my prayer. (I REALLY REALLY wanted a copy of it, but when i searched for it online, a source came up but they 'messed' with the book, I didn't want a read a book that I HEARD about and end up reading a 'modified version'.)

Two, I forgot about it, and I felt like God wanted me to read this, but, forgot. So yea!!!

About a mentor, I kinda need a person I can see. I know there can be mentorship thru a distance, I just, personally, need someone around me. Thanks brother. Great help

2005/9/29 21:52
dohzman

Re:

Hi Bro!
Your persistance in seeking a mentor and knowing what one is reminded me of a story I heard about a little child whose mother had sent them to bed late one nite while it was storming out. The child protested that they were scared so the mother ,thinking fast on her feet, told the child that if they would just call on Jesus he would be there to protect them. To that the little child replied with a question/statement, "mom do you think I could have Jesus with skin on there?" I love that story!

I can see you applying God's word to your life. You've asked, you're very specific in your request. You are in the process of seeking, and I know God will honor that in your life. One thing I might make mention of, as you continue to do random acts of kindness in the ministry the Lord has placed you in, don't forget that someone is looking for Jesus with skin on and that my dear brother is exactly what God has called you to be in thier lives , by His grace. God Bless, Bro. Daryl

2005/9/29 22:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Grace

What edifying words Dohzman!
Think it is wonderful as well to be seeking a mentor and perhaps it was with a slightly different perspective where I was heading.

Joshua, I understand what you mean brother. I would love nothing more to sit under an older (spiritually) saint and glean from, learn from, to hear of their experience, to just share in what they have found. Especially as this walk goes on and find the further I go the less I truly know.

Was alluding to what you likely know already, that through these old timers who have left such a great legacy for us, in the messages and in written words as well as just the fellowship that goes on here... But it does lack the inflection and contact of being present. That the Lord fills this desire for you, have faith that He most certainly will.

2005/9/29 23:21Profile

Re:

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
reminded me of a story I heard about a little child whose mother had sent them to bed late one nite while it was storming out. The child protested that they were scared so the mother ,thinking fast on her feet, told the child that if they would just call on Jesus he would be there to protect them. To that the little child replied with a question/statement, "mom do you think I could have Jesus with skin on there?" I love that story!

That was encouraging, but I don't think I TRULY got 100% of the last sentance. Maybe I did, and i'm over looking it. Please explain further. (Sorry, im at my college campus...1 million things going on)

2005/9/30 9:54
dohzman

Re:

A Jesus felt was better than one telt'. The child was asking the mother for her to be the presence of Jesus to comfort in the storm. In the same way , you are The Jesus men will first see, or as the case may be , because of your ministry, What those children in those schools see in you will tell them what Jesus is like.God bless.

2005/9/30 15:19Profile

Re:

Wow, im glad I asked, cause I DID get it all wrong. Gracias

2005/9/30 18:52
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Beware the Pyramids!

Quote:
Ever hear of the Amway pyramid scheme? The New Testament was the first pyramid scheme. Jesus discipled 12 people, they each discipled people... Paul discipled Timothy, Timothy discipled people

Woah, there are some powerful implications in this statement. Who 'discipled' Paul? Who says 'Paul discipled Timothy'? Why do you say that 'Timothy discipled people'? What happened in 'Jesus' discipling of Judas Iscariot'?

I suggest you always treat 'pyramids' with suspicision; they come from Egypt, which is the biblical type of the world. The Bible concept of discipling is NOT a pyramid but is one in which each 'member holds fast the head'. In other words each one is discipled to Jesus Christ. Discipling is a relationship word. Wherever there is a disciple there must be a master. "Call no man master" might just as truthfully be expressed as "Do not call yourself any man's disciple". This pyramid discipling/mentoring is not a biblical concept and has some ominous precedents..

2005/10/1 5:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy