SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mentorship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Mentorship

Each day this grows in conviction in my life. I hear great men/women of God 'mentored' by another great man/women of God. It seems they are all linked together. Somehow someway.

So, I'd like to ask, Really what is mentorship.

Let me give you a little background on my life(maybe in a paragraph) so I can get deeper responces instead of just sentances.

From birth to 2nd grade I was a 'hell raiser'. My PRESCHOOL teacher retired because of me. And then kicked outta school in 2nd grade. I then had a change from the 'bully to the loser'. Or 'shunned one'. Most of my life, i've never had 'one above me' to really teach me. (No father EVER around) Mom can't/couldn't answer the deep questions I had. Spiritually and school-wise.

I pretty much have been going off myself and TRYING my best to learn from others lives. Most of the friends i've had, were really not able to 'teach' me, and for some weird reason, i can almost 'teach' them a thing or two. (Cool..but still no one to help me).

I've always struggled with having a good friend. Even today, i don't think i could say i have 'one true friend'. I have a bunch of 'one class friends'. But thats it.

First off, I really don't know TRULY what it means to be a friend. And it seems that being 'mentored' by someone you two must be bonded somehow. Friends.

So, i guess, i have 2 questions. What does it mean to be a friend? And what does it entail when you have a mentor?

2005/9/12 17:35
Conqueror

Re: Mentorship

I have a mentor...or a discipler. He is a missionary with Campus Crusade for Crusade and is currently in China....makes my mentorship difficulty sometime...but we make it work.

A mentor is someone that takes an active interest in your spiritual maturity. Someone who who is himself spiritual mature or at least growing spiritually who can help wash you with the Word...show you how to get out of the rough patches, and encourages you.

New Testament examples of this are....

Jesus and the desciples.

And my favorite...the Paul/Timothy model of discipleship. Paul was Timothy's spiritual father.

If you do not have a mentor/discipler in your life pray that the Lord brings you one. Don't just pick someone. Pray the Lord gives you a specific person.

And remember, that its the responsibility of every discipled person to disciple others as well.

Ever hear of the Amway pyramid scheme? The New Testament was the first pyramid scheme. Jesus discipled 12 people, they each discipled people... Paul discipled Timothy, Timothy discipled people.

So, You disciple two people, those two people discipled four people, those four people disciple 8 people...etc...

My mentor took this new testament method of discipling to China. With that method, he discipled a man in china who in turned discipled others. Using this method they have brought 10000 people to christ. Seriously, not an exaggeration.

2005/9/12 17:48Profile
Conqueror

Re:

Oh, and remember...a mentor/discipler is more than a friend and an accountability partner.

I would say he is an earthly version of our heavenly Father... someone who is not afraid to point out the sin in your life...and always encourages you to continue the race. He tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

And remember, as a person being discipled you need to be....

Approachable
Submissive
Teachable
Obedient
Reproductive.

If you only listen to your mentor but do not act on what he shows you or tells you...or you don't produce fruit...you might as well not be discipled.

Good luck! I pray the Holy Spirit brings someone into your life!

2005/9/12 17:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

Conqueror wrote:
Ever hear of the Amway pyramid scheme? The New Testament was the first pyramid scheme. Jesus discipled 12 people, they each discipled people... Paul discipled Timothy, Timothy discipled people.

So, You disciple two people, those two people discipled four people, those four people disciple 8 people...etc...

My mentor took this new testament method of discipling to China. With that method, he discipled a man in china who in turned discipled others. Using this method they have brought 10000 people to christ. Seriously, not an exaggeration.

Never heard of the 'pyramid' thingy. But makes it simplier to understand.

This is specifically, something God has convicted me of. Christ had disciples (we are included, but im talking about His life on earth), Paul, Peter, John the Baptist, John the Revelator and so on. THEY ALL HAD PEOPLE "UNDERNEATH" THEIR WING.

I wont be on for a while (maybe like 3/4 days) but i'll be looking forward to the advice of the brethern.

::Edit Below::

Also, how often do you meet with your mentor? What exactually goes on during that time? How long? Can it be over the phone? Etc..etc..

2005/9/12 19:16
Conqueror

Re:

Quote:
Also, how often do you meet with your mentor? What exactually goes on during that time? How long? Can it be over the phone? Etc..etc..

Nothing beats face to face contact. Period.

However, thats not possible sometimes. With my mentor who is often in SE Asia we have to make due with email quite often. When he comes to town we usually get together for a couple hours. I share the my joys and struggles. he listens and rejoices with me over my joys and prays with me concerning my struggles. Not only does he pray but offers me Biblical advice on those struggles. He gives me tasks to do. I submit myself to his authority and to God by being obedient to him.

For example, for awhile I was having difficulty being a servant to my wife. When I come home from work I am completly beat. The last thing I want to do is meet my wife's spiritual, emotional and physical needs.

He then pointed out to me that the reason why I am having difficulty is because I have forgotten where my home is. My home is not the house I live in. My home is Jesus. I am to find my rest in my true home, by abiding in Jesus. He then suggested that on my way home in the evening I pull over and spend a half an hour reading my Bible and praying for rest so that I can serve Him and my family.

Then my mentor will hold me accountable to that. He checks in on me a week or two later to see how I am doing.

I have some book recommendations for you...

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.
The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard
Transforming Discipleship by Greg Ogden.

If you are interested in discipleship read those books and pray the Lord brings a Godly man in your life who can mentor you.

2005/9/13 9:51Profile

Re:

Anyone else, I could use all of your experiences.

2005/9/17 0:02
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Well I guess I'll have a go at this one..
About the friends part, I do have much friends especially compared to my non-converted days.
But little friends where I can very much identify myself with. (spiritually)

Being a good friend means that you are willing to standup and help the other. Well apart from that that it very much helps if you both have like the same view on things, like faith or God.

I only have one not-christian friend left and I didn't felt any desire to meet him or such since our interrests are far from the same.
Lately I discovered that he had a mountainbike so now we have a common interrest again.. I hope that God can reach him through this or any other means!

Quote:
So, i guess, i have 2 questions. What does it mean to be a friend? And what does it entail when you have a mentor?

About the mentor part, I don't really have one.

There is a very God fearing man which I know through Herikon Biblecamp, but somehow the Lord didn't let me have contact with him with email and things like that. It's very cool that he could hear how God used him to reach me while he never had to hear the problems and things I was entangled in. Would only be a burden to his heart.

That plus the absence of anyone mature with God closeby forces me to get to God directly... which admittedly doesn't always goes like I want it to be. (Thanks to 'I')

Somehow God didn't let me follow a person..
Perhaps its because there are no people nearby that can mentor [b]and[/b] point to Jesus and God...
I certainly don't just want to follow a person or a group.. or perhaps its just not the way God wants to teach me.

It seems like that I have to do it without a mentor somehow. Apart from the King of Kings Himself! :-D

2005/9/17 6:02Profile

Re:

For me a Mentor will do me good for the simple things.

I'm very much about the 'simple' things in life. But sometimes, I don't know about them and someone has to tell me (At times, the Lord told me).

Example: For the LONGEST time I had no idea how to color code my cloths, seriously, it took me YEARS to understand it. Even nights of crying. Seriously, this sounds stupid, and dumb but it was something that defeated me in the inside, till one day that it 'clicked'. Now, i CAN do it, and sometimes just don't choose to 8-) cause im weird like that :-P .

Another example, I didn't know how to shave. For months i'd shave my ENTIRE face. Why? No father, no brother, and too 'prideful' to ask my mother. Until ONE NIGHT where i was shaving my face at a friend's house and he is like 'what is wrong with you, are you really gonna shave your face?' I said 'Uh...no! I think it looks cool' (He bought that, hey anyone would, cause im just VERY weird :-? ) He then said, after sometime 'really though...did you shave like that for a while?' And i confessed to him and his dad also said 'ya man, you dont wanna do that..etc..etc'.

These things, and many more that i can't remember, BROKE MY HEART. Within it would be like someone just nailed me with a dagger.

Jesus is sufficant. Yes, there have been times God would say 'Josh, you don't need to do it that way, do it THIS way'. God is my ultimate mentor. But, I still feel within that [i]maybe[/i] I need one. I just want whatever is God's Best.

2005/9/18 0:11
Nellie

Re: Mentorship

Reckon I would have to say that Jesus is my Mentor.
I keep a Journal, and write to Him.
He gives me things to write, and Scripture to read, sometimes.

I had a Friend who died in 87.
She told me to keep a Journal, and then when things get hard for me, that I can go back, and see what God had done for me.
This is true, if you want to try it.

Anyway, I must have been very hard for her to mentor, for she was so Spiritual. God had really brought her through a lot, and I was a new Christian, so much she said then was foreign to me, but I thank God for her now.

She always wanted me to sing the Song, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful Face,
And the things of Earth will grow stranfely dim,
In the Light of His Glory and Grace.

What a wonderful friend she was to me.

There are Mentor's on SI.

God Bless
Nellie :-)

2005/9/18 16:21Profile

Re:

A brother in the Lord, who had to move because of Katrina has been going to our church for 2 weeks and suggested a book to me. I think i'll read it. He said its only about 50 pages.

I told him I wanna be completly filled with the Spirit in everything that I do. And he suggested to me "A Practice of the Presense of God" by Brother Lawerance.

He said 'it basically says "Do everything unto Jesus" like your dishes, clean them for Jesus, like everything just for Jesus'. So, it sounds like a great book, something that I think I need to hear.

STILL UP FOR OTHERS ADVICE ON MENTORS!!

2005/9/18 20:33

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy