SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone have 'panic attacks'?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Hi, Doug, bravo to you for sharing your struggles!!
You have more courage than you may think.

I don't have any answers, just some thoughts:

I think that our conscience sometimes won’t let go of its tyrant rules of the past – even though we may know a new and better truth.

You know what I found very freeing? To view myself as a messed-up sinner, and just accept that. It freed me from the bondage of my desperate efforts to try to fit in – be good enough, acceptable, etc. I remember envying the developmentally disabled because they seemed so free of the bondage of having to fit in. I worked with them one summer and just saw myself as one of them. It was awesome! I made great friends. We did some crazy things together. And I felt so free, free, free. They loved me to bits. And never once did I fear being rejected and judged by them.

I believe that the following quote is far too simplistic for you, but I’ll share in because it points in the right direction.

“Do the thing you fear, and death of fear is certain.“

Diane

2005/9/7 14:16Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Hi Annie,

You can order the book from Livingwaters.com.

I am learning to face my fears head on with God's help. I can see God using this season to test me... so He can use me for something... not sure what yet.

I am going through alot right now so I can see God using these panic attacks for his chastisment and His purposes.

Yes the book has helped.

In Christ,
Doug

2005/9/7 15:55Profile
baruch_48

Re: good scriptures~

Quote:
It would be good maybe for some people to post scriptures that would help them against this situation?

I had a period in my life where i was suicidal and felt like jello ....

here are some scriptures that help ( anything about God as [b]Rock, Fortress, Stronghold, Deliverer in the psalms[/b] )

ps 61 - 'lead me to the rock that is higher than I ... you have been my refuge .. a strong tower against the foe '

ps 18, 28, 31, 46 , 59, 62, 71, 91, 94, 144 --- [ fortress ]

it's interesting ( or a great blessing, is perhaps a better way to put it ) - that our Lord Jesus himself would have read these same verses, growing up as a boy .. as Abba Father was unfurling the divine understanding of His redemptive mission to Him

he ate these verses as 'bread' ... and these were his sustenance, most especially in the Garden of Gethsemane

read the classic psalm 91 - picturing Jesus intaking these words, as a young boy in the Nazareth youth group

( austin sparks is the vessel that passed on this very blessed insight to my ears )

bro baruch

2005/9/7 18:07Profile

Re: Bless God !!!

Thank you Doug for answering. I appreciate your honesty and yes, again, I do believe that God will use you to comfort others, wherewith you've been comforted and has and will increase your "compassion" for all of humankind !!!
Bottomline.

I know I said that all on page one, but what I hadn't said, is something that brother Greg brought up.

I guess I was hesitant to bring up "childhood" stuff, not wanting to get near psychology of sorts.

I'll do this as quickly as I can.

When I was 2 mo.s old, my mom left my wonderful dad and us 5 kids.

Dad couldn't find anyone to watch "all" of us, so I was shipped out, being the youngest and no one wanted to care for a 2 mo. old.

By time I was 13, I had been shipped around to a total of 5 different homes.

Each more abusive than the next.
I joined the military to get away, and met, who I thought would be the 1ST Love I'd ever have.

He almost physically killed me and never worked,he did drugs, crime, etc. adultery plus worse stuff, though before we married, he said he had asked Jesus into his heart and acted like a Godsend to me. Found out, he only wanted a meal ticket.
I got an annulment after 3 yr.s by God's deliverance only, to marry again, and more trouble then I could ever post here after that.

With all of that came an anxiety attack (finally) where they thought I'd never live a normal life again. All of this may play a part of why I am physically disabled now,(at least maybe the heart problem part), but the beauty of the testimony, is that I "believed" God can give ANY of us, a Sound Mind, and no matter what ... the Lord will see us through it.

It may take a little time, but you'll smile as you look back, one day.

So what I wrote on page one, was not just from someone who studied psychology for years, but someone who the Dr.s almost gave up on. I was so severely abused, from 2 mo.s old onto adulthood, that they called it PTSD, or severe anxiety reaction, and few Dr.s give a favorable prognosis for that degree of trauma.

But Glory To GOD Alone, I proudly have a sheet of paper I cherish as a testimony to God, by a Dr. who basically said, it's a MIRACLE that this lady is even Sane. And when he said 'sane', he really meant 'sane', because He was awed and I just smiled as we spoke and gave all the Glory to a 'Living' God. And the wonder of the Saints who were praying for me at the time. Wow ! The Lord spoke to them, that I would be O.K., when no one else thought that could happen.

The kinda smile I gave that Dr., sorta makes others need sunglasses to see. HA ! Even though I smile without showing my teeth. We call it a "frog smile". This kind -> :-D , HA.

Please read my 1st post again, 'cause the main point is "no condemnation" to anyone going through this .... just 'patient' endurance and allowing Jesus to see you through, 'unto the end'. :-)

I feel a little exposed now, for sharing, but all who have posted on this thread here, have made me feel it is worth it.

Nothing shall pluck us out of HIS HAND !!!
Rom 8:28,29 are my "life verses".

God Bless you all who've posted here.

Annie

2005/9/7 21:59
rocklife

usa

Re:

about scriptures to back up fighting panic attacks, I believe more christians really need to study the bible more in-depth and prayerfully, with the willingness to hear God and do what God says. One way to renew our thoughts, grow in knowledge of God, is bible study, with bible on audio tapes, like listening on walkmen, and watching bible movies, and of course reading the bible. Get to know God and His will, spoken through His Written Holy Word, and allow Him to change us on the inside.

People need the whole bible. We need more than one scripture, we need God, His Spirit, and the whole of His Holy Bible. Here is one serious scripture: "But the COWARDLY, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters, and all liars- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur." rev 21:8

If we have fears, we need to give them to God. Get encouragements if needbe, by reading and learning from other christians who have done this, and ask God to give you the strength. One source of great encouragement for me, was first reading "Foxe's Book of Martyrs." And the bible. We need the strength of martyrdom for Truth, which is impossible outside of God, even Jesus sweated blood in obedience to God. Our flesh comes into slavery, subjection, to us, not us to our flesh. Paul says he beat his body into submission, I do it too, and its not easy, but suffering and hardship are good for us (Romans 5:1-5)

2005/9/8 8:08Profile

Re:

Rocklife, as I said on page one, if you've never had what this thread has spoken about, happen to you, you're better off not trying to help.

To call folks who have had or have clinical or general anxiety, the "COWARDLY" of that verse Rev 21:8, is pretty hard, and you don't know that everyone of these people who have posted are very dedicated Christians, Every one of them.

Anxiety can be as medical as ulcers, arthritis, colitis, migraines or any other host of things.
It can be neurological in nature, from neuro-toxins that people are exposed to or from extended high-level stress, and several medical conditions that are documented to predispose people to anxiety or depression.

Some of our Christian soldiers over in Iraq are coming home with PTSD and anxiety, but that doesn't make them worthy of having "their place in the fiery lake of burning sulfur."

Your broad brush is only from a lack of research on this topic and your post could be condemning to some, who are innocent of what you think they are 'not' doing.

What I do agree with, is that Jesus is more than able to see us through unto the end, and surprise us with a sound mind at the finish, and ALL the Glory will go to HIM. That in our weakness, HE is made strong, though outwardly we may appear weak, Christ within, will glorify Himself through even the weakest among us who LOVE Him.
And knowing those who posted, I know they will be willing to give their lives for Christ, regardless of the anxiety, that even the apostle Paul said he had experienced. 1 Corth 2:3.

Don't think that in the Foxe's book of Martyrs, that some martyrs knees never shook, though they gladly laid their lives down. We don't need confidence in 'the flesh' to get us through, but Faith, in He Whom we'll throw our crowns down at His feet, for good reason. Anxiety can give people stronger faith in the end, then those who trusted in their works.

With all due respect & His Love.

Annie

2005/9/8 8:58
Elisabeth67

Re: Anyone have 'panic attacks'?

Doug,

I can totally relate to panic attacks. For years i suffered with them, But mostly when i backslid they got terrible.. Went to hospital many times. Was also on xanax yrs back.

Well as i got right with the Lord they had went away, Until last yr. I developed a sudden intense fear of death and God. I felt i had screwed up so bad in the past there ws no way God could forgive me..

I went through months of ABSOLUTE TERRORIZING FEAR. I was afraid to wake up afriad to go to sleep i was afraid of everything.. It was overhwleming. My husband kept saying to go to doctor and get on medicine. I refused because i knew the root of the problem had to be dealt with and not masked with meds... During this time I was literally driven to my knees.. I knew the only place i could find peace was in his presence in his word... I memorized many scriptures. When a panic attack would come everyone got out of my way and i began to quote these scriptures.. every time no matter how Big the panic attack was i could calm down pretty quick... I not only quoted them i believed them. I also would go into worship. No matter how shaky i was or dizzy or heart pumping from my chest i would offer my sacrifice of praise.. and Praise God He always showed up and comforted me... But they kept coming back all last year i was crippled with fear.. It was a vicious cycle.. The very one i was so scared of (Jesus) was the very one i ran to in my fear.

I cant name a time or place but i finally felt forgiven and at peace with God.. But the most astounding thing was what the Lord showed me in all this... In my 18 yrs of being saved i had a besetting sin.. I would fall over and over again , I would be ok for a yr fall again it was terrible.. I wanted freedom from it..

Well needless to say the Lord showed me he allowed me to go thru this fear/[panic thing to teach me how to overcome this struggle... He showed me how i would react to the fear with great tenacity and fight it off right away and seek him for help...

He spoke to my heart and said i need to react the same way to this sin that would creep up.. No matter how good it felt or how good it looked i needed to treat it like i did panic attacks ... Because this sin was the deadly one and not the panic attacks that felt deadly but really arent...

For the most part i am free, yeh the devil tries to attack me in this area (panic) but thru much time on my knees and finding comfort and power in prayer I am free not only in the panic area BUT NOW I KNOW FINALLY HOW TO BATTLE MY BESEETING SIN IN MY LIFE AND I SEE THE DEALINESS OF IT.... I pray you find freedom brother and i will recommened u start memorizing scriptures that deal with fear.....
I purchased a book titled " Overcoming Fear Worry and Anxiety" Its geared towards women but has so much scripture in it

Author is Elyse Fitzpatrick

God bless you

2005/9/8 9:05Profile
dougkristen

Re:

I agree...

This situation I am dealing with has not made me more "confident", but more dependent on God.

What I am going through for me is 2 part, physical and spiritual. I am doing what I can to work on the physical part through better diet, exercise, sleep, etc. and the spiritual side... more scripture, prayer, fellowship, hearing God.

What I do believe is God is testing me greatly and bringing me in a valley for a reason and part of this is panic attacks. I would not consider myself cowardly at all, but more depentent on HIM. Do I fail? yes. I have decided not to go the route of medical drugs, but to try natural methods first and God to help me through this. I believe that I have to endure for a while here and that is ok! I am learning to trust God, be thankful and have joy in the midst of trials.

Ray Comfort who I trust greatly said that when he first did open air preach he was "terrified". now is that not cowardly? no, it is trusting in God in the midst of fear.

In Christ,
Doug Renz

2005/9/8 9:10Profile
GodsPeace

Re: Anyone have 'panic attacks'?

Hi,

This will help for a few people who suffer from panic attacks. I used to have some really miserable panic attacks. Mine would come every day and last for hours. I sought medical and alternative medical help. One doctor played a hunch and gave me a shot of magnesium. I actually felt some relief the next day. Later tests for minerals revealed that I was low in many. They are essential for establishing electrical pathways in the body, among other things. I am poor at absorbing nutrients from foods, so daily suppliments are essential for me. You could jump start the process by getting a vitamin mineral drip (IV) at a hospital or clinic. As I said though, this will heip in rather few of the cases. If you feel you are having problems due to malabsorbtion or foods it might be worth considering. God's Peace to you - Jeffrey

2005/9/8 9:24Profile

Re:

Jeffrey, I'm sure glad you added that.
That is one I had forgotten and you are right.

Magnesium is the mineral that relaxes muscles and calcium, is the one that helps us tense them for work. Magnesium is one of the most essential minerals, and very helpful for cardiac and even woman's PMS problems.

The B vitamins are also essential for nerves.

Like you said, it may not be a cure for all, but even like Doug said, it's good to go nutritionally and supplementally, and do that body care. Good advice from you and Doug for everyone at that.

thanks !

2005/9/8 9:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy