SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Impartation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nellie

Impartation

I was in a Church Service. recently, where emphasis was placed on impartation of the Spirit.
This being, imparting Spiritual Gifts of God, to others. By this, I mean, imparting the Spiritual Gifts that God has given to you.

The Bible says in 1 Cor. 12:7-11.
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit: To another faith by the same Spirit: to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit: To anothere the working of miracles: to another discerning of Spirits: to another divers kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues:
But all these worketh that one and selfsame Spirit; dividing to everyone severally as he will.

I do not believe another human being can impart to another human being, the gift or gifts of the Spirit that God has given to them.

I would appreciate some input on this.
Thank-you.
God Bless
Nellie

2005/9/5 11:54Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Impartation

I share your concern with this idea of impartation, there certaainly seems to be a great potential for abuse and excess in this area, however, what are we to make of these verses?

(Act 8:18) And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

(1Ti 4:14) Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

(Heb 6:2) Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/9/5 14:05Profile

Re:

Nellie, Your discernment is "right-on".

There are many good articles out there that speak more of this "impartation phenomena" come more lately, since Brownsville, etc. that can be read on the web.

A simple search will dig those articles up for you... I would try the "Discernment Webring", and any site off of that web-ring could probably answer this quite plainly.

God Bless you and your ear for God. :-)

Annie

2005/9/5 15:02
todd

California

Re: Impartation

Nellie,

Check this verse out:

"And for this reason I remind you to kindle afresh [b]the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands[/b]." (2 Timothy 1:6)

2005/9/8 23:47Profile

Re:

Actually, I was wrong. It didn't start in Brownsville, so far from what I've read, it was more a Latter Rain thing, but I'm sure, someone else could trace it back even further, that knows their Church history, better than I.

What started in Brownsville, basically, was the heavier use of that word "impartation". Where they had to lay hands on you for you to get "that spirit" experience.

I know it was part of the Way International's thing, to "give" gifts.

I'm Pentacostal, all the way, but Acts chpt. 10 shows that it's not a "necessity" to have hands laid on you to receive the Baptism ... and certainly not up to anyone to give the gifts that follow.

That's entirely God's choice, what gifts He will use us in.

Paul's reference to Timothy was of the Baptism, and not of his ministry.
That part was "prophesied" over him by the presbytery 1Tim 1:18 and 4:14.

To be "prophesied" over, is just a 'confirming' of a gift(s) that the Lord has already given or chosen you for. Not something you didn't have any idea that you were chosen for, until 'they' told you were, type thing.

I reckon the best way to decide for oneself is to type in "impartation of spirit" into Google or some other Search thing, and decide for oneself, anyhow.

Love,
Annie

2005/9/9 0:40
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

The laying on of hands (Hebrews 6, 2 Timothy 1, Acts 8, Acts 9, Acts 19, Numbers 27, Deuteronomy 34...) found here and in several others places is referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, as I have always understood it.

[i]"The gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands"[/i] is the Holy Spirit, I had thought.

Check out Acts 8,9, and 19 regarding this.
Thus it is listed as an elementary teaching in Hebrews 6.

What do others here think about this?

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/9/9 9:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The reference quoted by todd “Therefore I remind you to stir up the [u]gift[/u] of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” (2Tim. 1:6, NKJV) has to do with things 'charismatic'; not in the modern sense but in that the word 'gift' here is 'charisma'. When the Holy Spirit is spoken of 'as a gift' a different word is used - dorea' as belowJohn 4:10 (KJVS)
Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the [u]gift[/u] of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Acts 8:20 (KJVS)
But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the [u]gift[/u] of God may be purchased with money. When Paul speaks of salvation as a gift he uses a linked word - dOron - “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the [u]gift[/u] of God:” (Eph. 2:8, KJVS)
The Timothy reference, however, is to a 'charisma' and as such is what many would call a 'gift of (from) the Spirit' rather than a 'gift of (which is) the Spirit'. It may well be, and personally I think it most likely, that Timothy received this 'charisma' at the time he received his Spirit Baptism. However, it is unlikely that this reference is to the Spirit himself. Timothy is encouraged to 'kindle into flame' the 'charisma of God' which was in him. The picture is of dying embers of a fire being stirred into flame; this is not usually the way we would speak of the Spirit. Would it not be an impertinence to 'stir Him up'?

One of the things which we can notice about Timothy himself is a certain tentativeness, perhaps lack of confidence. This encouragement would certainly be in line with that aspect of his character as Paul reminds Timothy that it is Timothy's responsibility to 'stir into flame' the gift that God has put within him. This is tantamount to saying 'don't neglect your gift from God'.

I know nothing, first hand, of the Brownsville or even of the Toronto phenomena but the laying of hands to produce 'the manifestation' is certainly not a biblical perspective. The pattern of regarding this 'impartation' as 'the ministry' is definitely not a biblical perspective either. The idea of 'the ministry' coming at the end of a meeting and being characterised by spectacular evidences is very strange.

2005/9/9 9:51Profile

Re:

"Imparation".hmm.

Depends what you mean by it. If you mean 'i wanna give you a gift of tounges/healing..etc'. Then run away from that doctrine.

But, if by "Imparation" you mean the Gift of the Holy Spirit, yes, i believe thats a Biblical way to receive the Baptism of the Spirit. Can you receive the Spirit another way? Yup, PRAY PRAY PRAY, santification, turn away from EVERY hint of sin and Ask/Pound on the door of the Lord for it.

^^It took John G. Lake 6 months to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, it took me about 3 weeks. Not in just a 'one night prayer meeting'. And i've prayed over others (laying my hand on them) and they received the Holy Spirit thru that.

2005/9/9 14:40
Nellie

Re:

THank-you all for responding.
I choose to let God give me the Gifts of the Spirit He chooses to give to me, to further His Kingdom.

I have been in too many Services where the flesh is in charge, and men just want to control.
I feel like, this is just my opinion, that we need the Gift od Decernment today, more than ever.

I ask God to bring us all into a greater Knowledge of Him.

May He bless all of you.
Nellie

2005/9/10 16:14Profile

Re:

The gift of discernment is a very interesting gift. If you ask for it, be ready to see things you only could dream of seeing. And at other times, it will cause you to weap, seeing the sin in others, lies, and many abominations. It WILL break your heart as it has/doing in mine and others.

2005/9/10 22:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy