SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Testimony of Christ - My heart

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Testimony of Christ - My heart

On a Friday night, April 2, 2004, my life changed forever. I had no idea what was coming from above. I had looked toward the heavens many times only to receive empty answers that left me second-guessing. Sometimes, I doubted there even was a God.

I had been raised a Jehovah’s Witness. We were officially converted when I was a little tyke, about the age of four. I remember my mother sitting me down to tell me we would never celebrate holidays again. I said to her, “That’s okay Mommy.” Years would pass and our family would become good little workers in the community of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Our family became seeded in their doctrines. We were told that all other religions were false and controlled by the Devil. Christians especially were controlled by the Devil. I remember looking at Churches and being afraid because that was where the Devil lived.

The phase of goodness and fellowship did not last long. Life seemed to take devastating twists. The religion we had accepted would be the same one to cast us out. Power hungry and prideful men excommunicated my parents on false grounds. Afterward, I began to see serious holes in their teachings. In my heart, I knew Jesus said that we should put love first above all things. I knew this was right. However, I had to see this kind of love shown anywhere on earth, especially in myself.

My life and integrity took terrible twists. I started doing drugs, skipping school, and drinking. My life had always seemed empty and lost. I could not pinpoint why. At age nineteen, I gave into my depression and attempted suicide. God saved my physical life that day after many pleas for help. At that moment, I gave myself to God, the God I knew, not Jesus, and tried to live a decent life. I tried to be a good person. I gave up drugs and confessed my faith in God. However, I found life to still be a struggle. I discovered that trying to be good was even more of a struggle.

At this point, my parents had divorced and my father had remarried. I had gone off to college in Cincinnati. My brother went on to live with my father and my new mother enforced a rule that he must attend Church so long as he lived in her house. A year later, my brother was saved and his life was changed dramatically. At the time, I was really proud of him thinking that he was a good man to change all his bad habits. I did not know the truth.

In Cincinnati, I grew into a terrible sinner. Smoking, drinking, lusting, fornication, pride: those are the prominent ones. I was never much of a lair; it just never suited me. I am brutally honest, so much so, that when one of my dates asked me to rate her on a scale of 1 to 10, I told her what I really thought. That was the last date.

Eventually, I would graduate and move in with my parents who lived in a small town stashed away in the mountains. There, my brother, took the opportunity to start preaching to me about Christ. We debated constantly. We argued and argued over scripture and philosophy. He kept telling me “Jesus is God.” I would not listen to him. He would not give up on me.

So what happened that Friday night?

Earlier that week, Bobby, a guy from my brother’s church, asked me join him at a study group the following Friday night. I had completely forgot and when he called I almost told him no. I wanted to stay home and drown my sorrows in a six pack. However, I have this thing about sticking to my word. If I say I am going to do something, I try to do it. He asked me, so I went.

Bobby didn’t tell me we were going to a Church. He made it sound like we were going to a casual gathering of friends. When he pulled into the Church, I was a slight bit angered.

For the first few minutes I just sat there listening with a chip on my shoulder. The group of thirty young adults was quiet and no one knew what to talk about. I became quickly bored. I started thinking about my brother and how he would talk about being saved. I could not figure out why he would say such a thing. So, I decided to ask them what it meant to be saved.

Everyone lit up, like candles. They began explaining it to me just as my brother had so many times. It seemed like they were talking in code. They told me those that were saved knew they were going to Heaven. Being saved meant your were saved from Hell. To me though, that didn't seem like enough of a reason to jump up and run to God. I thought, if God was going to condemn me, that's His choice not mine.

Two preachers who were there had drawn themselves in closer to me. They kept asking me if I had ever broke any of the ten commandments. They also asked, “Do you want to go to Hell?” I then said to them, “I have been to Hell. My life is Hell. I am not afraid of Hell. I know I am a bad person. What I can’t figure out is why all you people think you are going to Heaven? What makes you so much better than me?” In a very loving and humble way, they quickly told me that they weren’t better.

They started to share their personal stories and the conversation deepened. I began to question myself and started asking more questions. Something wasn’t right, but I couldn’t figure it out.

They told me in order to be saved; I had to give everything up to Jesus. They explained that prayer could only be heard if it was through Jesus, as he is our mediator or representative for God. They said Jesus was the truth, the light, and the way. Still, this all didn't make any sense to me. I needed something more concrete. Jesus isn't here on earth, so how was I supposed to love him or follow him? I loved God, or so I had thought. How was it I wasn't saved? What was so different from me and these people where they could possibly think I was lost and they were saved?

At some point, it finally occurred to me what I had been doing wrong. Firstly, I was prideful. I believed in God. I just didn't believe He was a part of our lives. I couldn't understand how God could let so many terrible things happen in the world when He has the power to change them. My answer was that he had left us to fend for ourselves. In essence, I thought God had turned His back on us.

The second thing was not accepting God's love and forgiveness. Sure we must forgive and love others, but we must also realize that we are loved. We must realize that even though we have sinned, God loves us. With that love comes trust. We must learn to trust him. That means that even though these bad things happen in the world, we must trust that God is doing the right thing.

Thirdly, we cannot fight sin on our own. In other words, we do not have the power to stop sinning. We must accept that we are sinners and no matter what we will sin. We can overcome our sin by letting Jesus direct, guide, help, and control us. True salvation comes only from Jesus. He was a perfect man who died for us, so that we may live. He saved us from God's wrath. Being saved, means we accepting Jesus into our hearts. He carried our sin on the cross for us so that we may live. Simultaneously, if we don't let Him carry the burden of our sin, then how can He? We must give it all to Him, and let Him help us overcome our sin.

Lastly, when we say Jesus has saved us, we are saying He is our Savior. This means Jesus is our Lord and God. We have recognized and accepted that Jesus has all power and authority over earth. He has the power to forgive sins. He has the power to change lives. He has the power to help us.

After this, I still said to myself, “sure, it sounds good and all, but how can you actually do something that is so abstract? Jesus isn't here.” While sitting there thinking about all this, one of the preachers asked me if I wanted to be saved. I told him "yes" and then asked "how?"

He took me up to the altar and we kneeled down. The rest of the group circled around us. They all started praying. My eyes were closed and my ears were open listening to his prayers crying out to Jesus. I could hear people crying in the background. My fists were clenched, and my body was shaking with fear.

It all seemed hokey and fake, just like watching it on TV. I kept thinking that I should just get up and leave. I thought, “I don't belong here. All these people are nuts.” Still, I prayed. I prayed to God asking him for help. I prayed and asked God to save me from all these strange people. I kept praying until finally something in me broke.

My clenched fists opened flat against the altar and tears came streaming down my face. Jesus was standing before me. “I am sorry Jesus. I am so sorry. I am such a horrible person.” I cried and cried. Then, something entered into me. It was a new peaceful feeling. A new relief entered me and all the bad inside of me let go. All my anxiety, my pain, my fears, my frustrations, and my sins had been lifted off of me. Then, I heard the preacher ask me if I had accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savoir. I said “yes”.

We all stood up. Every person walked up and hugged me, telling me how much they loved me. Thirty different people, I had never met, poured their hearts out for me that I might be saved. They welcomed me to a new life. I don't remember half their faces. My mind was in eclipse.

Afterwards, I went to use the bathroom. I had this new feeling like nothing I've ever felt. It was as if someone was standing behind me looking over me. I kept turning around thinking someone was there, but no one was there. Even standing in the bathroom stall, it felt as though someone was watching me. Upon walking back to the group, I realized what it was.

It was Jesus following me. I was now a member of his flock, and He my Shepard. He was watching me as my protector and giver of life. I now know, the difference between being lost and saved. To be saved means to be with Christ. To be lost means to be without Christ. When you are with Christ, you have no doubts. You feel His presence in your life, you know He's there, and you know He loves you. You are His. Without Christ, you are without purpose, you live for death, you feel pain and loneliness, you feel a void that many attempt to fill with the pleasures of the world like drugs and sex. Without Jesus, you carry a great burden of sin that traps you in guilt and makes you hide yourself from the world behind materialism and a false sense of beauty. This all came to me that night. As Jesus said in the bible, “I am the truth, the light, and the way.” When I found Jesus, I then knew the truth.

Being saved didn't solve all my problems or instantly make me a holy man. I still sin. I feel Christ is with me, and I'm willing to do whatever He commands of me. I have many new friends. Jesus has really opened new doors for me. The best way I can put it: before Christ, I was living to die. I was trying to make a home here on earth. Trying to build my house on the hill. Trying to find security in a career and build my empire like so many people do. A large part of art is all about that, becoming immortal by carving your soul into stone, or canvas. I'm trying to change that. I'm living to live. God has promised me everlasting life. I am saved from eternal damnation. Instead of living everyday worrying that tomorrow I will die, I'm living every day as though time has no end. Enjoy today, for today, as today will never end. I know that I will die, everyone must die and it is a debt we all owe. However, death does not have to be the end.

Another way to say it is that life is no longer about rewards. It’s not about what I can get or how good I am. It is about giving and love. It’s not about trying to earn anything or prove anything. It is about saying, “Thank You” and letting God love.

2005/9/4 21:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Testimony of Christ - My heart

Dear Blake,

Thank you brother for sharing your heart and testimony. Read this last night and was too tired to respond adequately. What really gripped me was your honesty and pursueing of something real, heartfelt...

Quote:
It all seemed hokey and fake, just like watching it on TV. I kept thinking that I should just get up and leave. I thought, “I don't belong here. All these people are nuts.” Still, I prayed. I prayed to God asking him for help. I prayed and asked God to save me from all these strange people. I kept praying until finally something in me broke.

Reminded of that bumper sticker;

"Lord, save me from Your followers" :-D

But in all seriousness, can recall being in those 'squirmy' kinds of settings, sometimes because it was just a maybe well intentioned but just ... programatic, sales pitch like thing and at other times it was just out of pure conviction and shame. Funny though, even in the former that sense of knowing still despite it all, that inner "[i]ought[/i]", meaning, I know that I am wrong (a sinner at the core), 'I ought to repent... I ought to give up... I ought...

Quote:
My clenched fists opened flat against the altar and tears came streaming down my face. Jesus was standing before me. “I am sorry Jesus. I am so sorry. I am such a horrible person.” I cried and cried. Then, something entered into me. It was a new peaceful feeling. A new relief entered me and all the bad inside of me let go. All my anxiety, my pain, my fears, my frustrations, and my sins had been lifted off of me. Then, I heard the preacher ask me if I had accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savoir. I said “yes”.

That sent chills again re-reading it... Praise God Blake!

And this...

Quote:
Afterwards, I went to use the bathroom. I had this new feeling like nothing I've ever felt. It was as if someone was standing behind me looking over me. I kept turning around thinking someone was there, but no one was there. Even standing in the bathroom stall, it felt as though someone was watching me. Upon walking back to the group, I realized what it was.

:-D

Awesome testimony brother, am so glad you shared it with us all.

2005/9/5 12:53Profile
Nellie

What an awesome testimony!
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow.

God Bless you.
Nellie :-)

2005/9/5 15:14Profile

Thank you for sharing your testimony. I must ask would you mind if i shared this with someone who is a morman? This person happens to be a long lost family member i have recently been in touch with and have been sharing with but your testimony i know will speak volumes to him. Would you mind at all?
In His Love, Geraldine

2005/9/5 15:52
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Please share my testimony.

Luke 11:33 - (NLT)
"No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a basket. Instead, it is put on a lampstand to give light to all who enter the room."

The following story is an excellent addition to my testimony:

The night I was saved, I wrote out my testimony and e-mailed it to everyone I knew. I was so excited. My best friend from Junior High wrote back saying, "Well that's great and all, but just don't become one of the those bible thumping Christians trying to force your beliefs on everyone else."

This response really disheartened me. So, I wrote back, "I wasn't trying to force my beliefs on anyone. I was merely sharing with my best friend the best experience of my life. If you are so fearful of me sharing my faith with you, then you should stop for a minute and reconsider your faith. What kind of faith do you have if you are so afraid of me talking about mine?"

Even still, I kept quiet whenever I spoke with him.

About four or five months later, he suffered a major tragedy in his life. His girlfriend of 10 years left him for another man. His world revolved around her and this left him devastated. Of course, he quickly turned to me for love and support.

For the first few phone calls, I did nothing more than listen. I let him do the talking. We talked nearly every night. After so long, I finally said, "My friend, I know you don't want to talk about faith, but let me propose something to you. Do you think it's possible that through this event God is trying to reach out to you?"

He answered "yes." This lead into deep discussions about Jesus for the next few weeks. I didn't even have to initiate a conversation about faith, he quickly jumped into a conversation about God every time.

Then, one night, I was tired and didn't answer my phone. He was left alone at home with no one to help him. He silently cried out to God, and turned to the bible. He was lead to a scripture in Psalms, and in that instant, He was saved.

It was a very different experience from mine. At first, I didn't believe him. I told him he needed to get to a Church. However, after a long conversation that night, the Lord confirmed in my heart He was saved. My friend had just experienced the worst heartache of his life, but that night, He was over filled with immense peace and joy like I had never seen.

Since then, our friendship has grown and blossomed. I thank the Lord for that gift.

This also really taught me a lesson as I had been establishing a formula for how people get saved. This taught me that Christ is a personal God who will come to people whenever and however He chooses. For me, it was a big explosive experience with 30 people giving me thier love. For my best friend, he needed to be alone, in a place where he could turn no where else, but to Christ.

Isn't Jesus awesome, and great, and wonderful. Praise the Lord!!!

Thank you all for your loving words.

Blake

2005/9/7 21:40Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Dear Mike,

"But in all seriousness, can recall being in those 'squirmy' kinds of settings, sometimes because it was just a maybe well intentioned but just ... programatic, sales pitch like thing and at other times it was just out of pure conviction and shame."

You know, Jesus said our love for each other will be our greatest testimony. (Or something to that effect.)

I think sometimes it does come off as a sales pitch, but only when we don't back it with love. A billboard doesn't quite say, "Jesus loves you" like a person's voice who is speaking with Jesus in thier heart. I feel like these message boards suffer the same problem. When we can't see into a person's eyes, and hear thier voice, it is difficult to hear the sincerity or love in our voice.

Other times, though, it probably is conviction causing people to flee. I see that many times with people who grew up in a Church and then get saved later in life. They seem to be afraid to go back to Church because they didn't feel right when they were there in younger years. I often times wonder if it was the Church that caused this negativity or thier own negative reaction to the Holy Spirit convicting them. I don't know???

For me, it was years and years of propaganda pumped into my head saying that all of Christianity was controlled by the Devil. I was afraid those people who were trying to show me love were really under the influence of the Devil. I was living a lie being afraid of deception.

I praise the Lord for my testimony. For my faith is more real to me than anything else I know. I have an experience that no one can take from me.

I also have learned (a difficult lesson learned quite recently I must add), that the only truth I know is Jesus. For everything else, there is much debate and only Jesus is the judge.

Anyway, thank you for your encouragement.

Blake

2005/9/7 21:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy