· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : KJV and NKJV is there a difference?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 KJV and NKJV is there a difference?

Do not by confused with the The New King James Bible (NKJV) Which is copyrighted by Thomas Nelson Publishers. The NKJV is not a revision of the KJV, replacing archaic words for this is not enough difference from the original KJV to make the NKJV copyrightable. The NKJV is not even based on the same original manuscripts, it is a completely new translation with almost 60,000 word and textual differences. In the KJV there are only a couple of hundred words currently not used in English (wot, wist, etc), or words that have changed meaning. There are 773,692 Words in the KJV Bible.

"We out-thought the Lord here in America. We told His Spirit that we can do it all in our own cleverness or we told Him that He could not work that way anymore. Either way, we seem to have lost Him here in America. He took His fire to China." - anonymous

2003/11/8 23:41Profile
Jason

Tallahassee, FL, USA

Re: KJV and NKJV is there a difference?

I'm puzzled as to the significance of this. This is common practice for version updates. For example, the NASB is a revision of the ASV, which is itself a revision of the AV/KJV, but does not use the same critical text as the ASV and changes a good deal.

These newer versions are true revisions, not just rewordings. They are simply based upon the translation style of the older version. For the NASB, it follows the ASV, which was a considerably more literal (and better) revision of the AV/KJV. The NKJV follows the translation style of the AV/KJV in that it is fairly literal, but considerably more dynamic than the ASV.

Like I said, this is common practice; I'm not quite sure what difference it makes whether or not the NKJV is a rewording or a revision. The bottom line is that it's a much better version than the AV/KJV.

2003/11/9 3:39Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re: KJV and NKJV is there a difference?

Quote:
it is a completely new translation with almost 60,000 word and textual differences

I know you haven't made any comment on wheter these translation differences are warrented or not, your post seems to imply that you think they are not warrented but if I am wrong forgive me please.

Many (in fact any that I have looked into in any serious way) of the differnt renditions of various words in the NKJV are either waraneted or are an improvment in some way or at the very least are equally good translations. I am sure ther are exceptions. But somtimes people worry about how modern translatons have changed the original KJV as if the KJV was somehow a standard by which all others should be judged. But its not, its simply a translation , one of many, with its own strenghts and weaknesses.

Anytime I have heard someone reading from the KJV and I am reading along with the NKJV(or vice a versa) I have found it extremly easy to read along. The structure of sentences in both is extremly similar and the simlar words are generaly used, I think it merits the title of NKJV for that reason.

Stuart

2003/11/9 5:28Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: nkjv bible

Quote:
I'm puzzled as to the significance of this.

All I was trying to show Jason was that the NKJV is a totally different translation and that people who use KJV shouldn't think its just an adjustment of that version. I personally don't mind it, also I use other versions such as ASV, NIV, NASB, etc. It's just important for people to realize that NKJV is just like many of the new translations out there!

Quote:
I know you haven't made any comment on wheter these translation differences are warrented or not, your post seems to imply that you think they are not warrented but if I am wrong forgive me please.

Stuart, personally I like the KJV alot! but always struggle with readablility, it just takes more work. I know there are alot of differences between the KJV bible and the other newer translations but I side alot with the KJV. The best thing is usually to compare a few versions and take a look at the greek or hebrew yourself, that's a skill I am slowly (very slowly) working on.

"We out-thought the Lord here in America. We told His Spirit that we can do it all in our own cleverness or we told Him that He could not work that way anymore. Either way, we seem to have lost Him here in America. He took His fire to China." - anonymous

2003/11/9 20:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Jason

Quote:
Like I said, this is common practice; I'm not quite sure what difference it makes whether or not the NKJV is a rewording or a revision. The bottom line is that it's a much better version than the AV/KJV.

I prefer to see it as a very valuable introduction to the AV/KJV. ;-)

Currently my basic version is the AV/KJV, but this is only a temporary measure... just until I can find something better. ;-)

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2003/11/10 18:51Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Hi Jason,
The AV/KJV is based on the Masoretic text for the Old Testament and the Majority Text (Traditional Text) for the New Testament.
God gave the Jews the responsibility to preserve His Word in the Old Testament. In the 6th Century A.D.the tasks of preserving the Hebrew Scriptures was passed from the scribes to a group known as Masoretes who continued to preserve the text for hundreds of years. TheAV/KJV translators used a 16th century publication of the Masoretic Text to prepare the AV/KJV Old Testament.
The Majority Text (Traditional Text) is the Greek text reconstructed from the manuscripts copied by the Byzantine Monks.This is the text used and copied by the Greek speaking churches for many centuries.It is also called the Received Text.The AV/KJV is copied from the Majority Text.
The Alexandrian Text consists of a few manuscripts prepared in Alexandria, Egypt. The main two are Sinaiticus and Vaticanus copied in the 4th cetury A.D. and discovered in the 1800's. Westcott and Hort produced a Greek new Testament in 1881 based on those two manuscripts (The Revised Version 1881). There are substancial differences between the Alexandrian Text and the Majority Text; and substancial differences in AV/KJV and modern English translations(including NKJV). The differences are more than just updating the archaic language of the AV/KJV. 8-)
Clutch ;-)

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: Who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil, for God was with Him." Acts 10:38

2003/12/17 15:42Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy