SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Has anyone heard about this prophecy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

PTywama3 wrote:

I don't quite understand how we can "practice" prophecy.

I believe ALL GIFTS can be excerised. You say 'how' well, God might give you a little at first like 'I want you to tell the lady in the RED that she is going to go through terrible pain in the next few months and friends will leave you, but God is reaching out to you now and says "I wanna help you thru it".'

Something small then larger.

In my life Prophesy is the 2nd most evident gift in my life.(More WORDS from God than 'foresight', but still SOME of that also) I don't always look at someone and say 'such and such is going to happen', it normally happens if i pray for someone.

Like example I feel as if God might want me to pray for a friend of mine and so I just say 'God let Your words ONLY be said and Your power to flow'. Then id lay my hand on that person, wait, (if i had not already got something to say before God on behalf of them) and just truly WAIT on God, praying within side, doing jumping jacks saying 'YOUR WORDS JESUS' then bam, id just start exaulting His name if I wait forever, and then outta no where id lose my train of thought (as if i left and the Holy Spirit just speaks, and i just listen, but my lips are still moving) and bam things just happen. Most cry or are amazed.

And like, now God is building me up soon (hopefully) to be able to truly just look at someone and have a 'Word' ready. Which i HAVE gotten in the past but on a smaller basis.

OKAY, in summerary if you didnt get much outta that. God will teach you how to excerise your gift IF YOU ASK HIM.

Here might be a better example, there is this 10 yr old kid in my youth group, he gets DREAMS, like SOLID DREAMS of FUTURE EVENTS. Now the events are just simple 'someone said such and such and this happened'. Some happen in a few days, others weeks and rarly months. But this kid is 10 yrs old, and still learning about this and 'what to do'. I believe in the future God is going to grow that gift into maybe a Warning Call saying 'Soon, there is going to come a time where a plane will hit,...such and such..at such and such time, so repent so that God may withhold this...'

I HOPE this kinda cleared things up, its late and im not exactually awake.

2005/9/3 1:21

Re:

Back before the Lord led me out of the Word of Faith Charismania movement, we attended a church for a year or so that was soooo into prophecy it was just down right silly. Tho at the time we bought into the whole thing. I mean they had 10 or so people sit in different places in the autitorium, and you would move around to each one and receive your prophecy from that person. And out of 10 different people prophecying over you, you just know contradictions arose. But oh... it's ok... cuz after all, a NT prophet only needs to be correct 60% of the time. Thats the prominent teaching among those who believe in this style of prophecy. That comes straight from the Kansas City School of Prophets (or whatever they are calling themselves now).

Do I believe in prophecy today? Yes I do. But not the fortune telling or future telling kind that we see today. I firmly believe that Keith Green was a prophet much like John the Baptist was. I believe Ravenhill was a prophetic voice.

I dont go for the "someone here is struggling with cancer" type of prophecy. I dont go for the "I see you standing in a dark suit on a cloud preaching to millions..." type of prophecy...

We went into a meeting a year or so ago, and someone came up to me and started to "prophecy" over me... and I stopped them. I politely told that person "You dont know me... and you have no right into my life until you do."

Now, I have had friends who have come to me and said something like "The Lord has really impressed upon me that ... etc." That I will accept, but it's not usually anything futuristic or anything like that. It's usually applicable to a particular situation I'm going thru. See what i mean? I believe God speaks to us that way, and He speaks to us thru teachers... but most importantly He speaks to us thru His Word.

I think today people seek out these "prophetic words" more than they seek out GOD's WORD... and that is a recipe for disaster gumbo. (little cajun lingo for my friends in Louisiana)

Krispy

2005/9/3 6:54
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Hey YeshuaIsMyGd,

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I do understand what you're trying to say. But I think my inferrence was slightly lost.

Yes, if we really persist, God will give us the ability to participate more heavily in our desires - and this is a really cool trait of God (to let us focus ourselves). But I don't always quite capture if it is really what God wants. Like Elijah and Elisha. Was Elisha really a necessary prophet and miracle worker? He did marvelous things, and performed twice as many miracles as Elijah did. But who is mentioned in the New Testament? Elias, Elijah. Elijah prayed for someone to take up his ministry, and God allowed it. This is mainly about my thinking to explain why I am not into attempting prophecy. Much like Krispy's experience (except less dramatic and formal), this was a major push where I have been.

I really thought that this was something God wanted everywhere - propheciers to bring out His voice, and it seemed mainly about encouragement and helping His children's self-esteem. And then I met a dreamer. It is quite unique, meeting a prophet (as such.) She is now just 20, and yet she could pin her prophetic dreams. It is interesting how her dreams affected us. She pinned the time of conception for a couple in our midst who was having a hard time bearing children. This prophecy was not about self-esteem, but was quite literally God's word through her. Its effects were immense. I think this one small voice with quiet asperations and a sureness of effect forever disillusioned me.

There was no practice, sir. There was no effort to better control her gift by asking God to... throw it at her. But He gave it to her, and she was quite aware of it.

How can we practice God's word? How can we stand up and say "I think this is what God is trying to say?" turn around, and use a very concentrated "the LORD saith" style delivery? It is God's word, much like numbers on a paper. We can then deliver it or not. And as such, it seems to me that a prophet often finds himself receiving information he has not been permissed to share.

I still wonder - how much was Jeremiah told that never left his lips?

2005/9/3 23:09Profile

Re:

So that everyone knows. Isaiah made a false prophesy. I'll look it up later. If i cant find it by 24 hours, ill retract my statement. But i DID read it and it was FALSE.

Now, thanks for saying you got lost. So did i when i wrote that. I do that sometimes, but hopefully now i have a clearer mind to describe my intentions.

God doesn't always give someone a gift all at once.

Now, let me be specific. God, didn't give a person vision after vision after vision that all required pondering and dwelling on.

In some cases, dreams (prophetic), need to be interpreted. Figures, colors, scenes, etc. And maybe you in a baptist (not bashing them, i love the baptists, i was one) church, and no one can embrace this gift and help you use it to edify those around you. So you pray and seek God. And God starts showing you over time, 'this means this' and 'this means this'. But this is still one little dream. Now that you learned 'oh the sky means this' and other things. The next time you have a dream, you know half the answers and can almost in about half time say 'this dream meant......blah blah'. And so on and so on, till you can have a dream and just almost instantly just say 'i know what it means'.

It's not always that way, just a better (hopefully) example.

2005/9/3 23:34
Compton

Re: Stop the bus

Quote:
So that everyone knows. Isaiah made a false prophesy. I'll look it up later. If i cant find it by 24 hours, ill retract my statement. But i DID read it and it was FALSE.

So this is how it works. Our prophets can't rise to the biblical standard, so they lower the bible to their experience. This is the stop where I get off of the unity train. Have a nice trip.

MC

2005/9/3 23:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
So this is how it works. Our prophets can't rise to the biblical standard, so they lower the bible to their experience.
MC

What? No, they can, THRU LEARNING. and Practice. Only the Lord can teach such gifts. It's not like lifting weights where you KNOW YOUR TRAINING YOUR MUSCLES. It just happens as you follow God and when some 'word' comes out, after a while more come and you understand that 'oh, those are GOD's Words and not mine'.

Exercising all the gifts is also like Riding a bike, in the beginning its tough and hard to learn but with the aid of someone it can be easy and not painful.

2005/9/4 0:07
Compton

Re:

Quote:
It just happens as you follow God and when some 'word' comes out, after a while more come and you understand that 'oh, those are GOD's Words and not mine'.

Dear brother, I appreciate your sincerity. I even relate to the experience you are describing somewhat...However, I doubt that Isaiah ever had a word from God just come out and then say, "Oh".

Surely anyone who witnessed angels covering themselves in the presence of a "holy, holy, holy" God was very aware of the situation he was in. The problem is that some of our prohets need some coal to touch their lips as well, before they say "Thus sayeth the Lord."

Why can't people be content in the honor of sharing the character and heart of God...why does everyone want to speak for Him?

MC

2005/9/4 0:29Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

YeshuaIsMyGd,

This is interesting. So now a dream needs to be interpreted in order to be understood. I'm sure Joseph would agree with you. *Edit* - The impact of this statement was based upon the institution of learning, it wasn't meant entirely cynically. It does sound a bit Freudian.*

If I were to train my muscles in Israel, I should be stoned. God's exacting justice did not stop with the presence of Jesus Christ. He is the Alpha and Omega - (not just) a "giant" Father "in the sky." He is swift and sure as well as forgiving and merciful. Jonah was swallowed by a whale not because he disobeyed God, but because God wanted the prophet to do exactly what He had ordered Jonah. Jesus Christ himself took the time and fashioned a whip to clear the temple. He harrased the pharisees and ridiculed the saducees. He insulted gentiles and Samaritans. He called a woman a dog - to her face, in front of a large crowd. Coincidentally, both of these individuals had no doubt about what God wanted them to do, there was no wavering in their understanding of His word for them to carry.

God is not merely kind and loving. He is foremost loving, which comes with more than just a price tag of happiness.

And sir, there is one whale of a difference between speaking with a bit of the heart of God and the Word of God. It would be very gracious of you not to confuse the two.

2005/9/4 1:52Profile

Re:

I retract my word about Isaiah false prophesing until I can find it.

Sorry, i repent of 'speaking without backing' which i have kinda been doing resently. (Only on this and john calvin). I ask that you'd pray for me that I wouldn't speak 'ahead' of the time God has prepared for me.

I ask for everyone's forgiveness in saying that without having been prepared to give an answer on why I said that.

Learning when shut my mouth and when to speak,
Joshua

2005/9/4 21:44

Re:

Wow, wow. For some reason, i contacted the ministry that i learned it from. and for SOME REALLY WEIRD reason, it (the email) was in the BACK of my email...very bizarre. But no excuse for not being able to defend the stance i took.

Here are the three links. (You can go from the first to the rest, or just click from here)

http://www.christianmediaresearch.com/prophets_of_the_lord-01.html
http://www.christianmediaresearch.com/prophets_of_the_lord-02.html
http://www.christianmediaresearch.com/prophets_of_the_lord-03.html

I'll be waiting for replies.

2005/9/10 0:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy