SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can Some Help on this One?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Can Some Help on this One?

A friend of mine is really having a struggle in his mind right now. It has to do with the idea of restitution. He took some things and the like but has since paid for them. He still works for the company. His question to me is, should he go to his employer and confess this. It will no doubt cost him his job as well and he will have to step down from a ministry position. (The act was perpetrated almost 5 years ago). I’m at a loss. Should repentance only be as open as the sin? Should we seek forgiveness where there is no knowledge of wrong and by seeking it will in a manner of speaking do more damage than good? Can someone help me on this one?

2005/9/1 17:50Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: Can Some Help on this One?

There is someone in my church, an elder who stole some stuff when he was young. Years and years later he came back and apologized and payed for the (silly) things..

My thoughts are, what if they would find out what he did so much years ago?
But to be honest I don't know.. ask God?
Would be terrible if your friend would make a choice that might cost him alot. That gives me the feeling I am responsible. (or some other person)

And really, if it was no big deal why hasn't he forgotten about it? (as he did payed for it)
Would it give peace in mind if he did confess it? even tho it might cost alot?
Well this might be kinde useless this reply, but I will pray for your friend.. That he will make the right choice. :-)

2005/9/1 19:02Profile
LetUsPray

Hi Inotof

James 5:16. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

If this man is in a ministry position he should go to someone of authority in his church. He should confess as we are called to do in James 5:16. We are commanded to bear each others burdens and restore a person:
“Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:1,2).

If true confession is made and repentance is real, than forgiveness is assured through the Blood of our Lord. It is up to the leadership of the church any further action, i.e., resigning a ministry position, is required.

If restitution has been made at his company, I would be comfortable with leaving it at that. The confessing is with a brother or sister in Christ before the Lord and forgiveness and healing are received from the Lord. Losing one’s job doesn’t resolve a thing if there is no loss to the company.

God bless you,

Hans Prang
www.thefinalcall.net

2005/9/1 19:48Profile
roadsign

Re:

There are times when it is not appropriate to confess sins to someone because doing so is damaging to the person. It may build walls rather than build bridges. Ex: A man doesn't confess to a woman that he had lust feelings to her. He confesses to God.

In this case it appears that something else is going on. If restitution is complete, then there should be no need to drag it up again. It's a done deal, in the past.

So why does your friend still have a guilty conscience? Was restitution not complete? Was there something left undone? If it was complete, then is he is feeling the need to confess in order to absolve the discomfort of his own guilt? If that is the case, then it is an issue between him and God, and should not involve his superior. He should ask God to reveal the cause of his guilt? God will do that, for he knows how important it is to have a clean conscience.

Another question, Why would he risk losing his job if he confessed his past sins? Is he worried about his image - fearing that the boss might hold it against him. If that is the case, then maybe it is the boss who is the problem: he is being pharisaical - like the unmerciful manager in Jesus' parable. If that is the case, then maybe that is not the job for him, and it is worth taking the risk.

Even if he is in Christian ministry, that should make no difference. Remember, Jesus' disciples, and Paul - they all did wrong things in their past. Remember King David. He was fully forgiven and restored as a king and spiritual leader.
Diane

2005/9/1 20:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

May I share a testimony?

Many moons ago, I mean many years ago, I short changed a store deliberately in paying for an item. I wrote a check for the amount and made it a few cents less then what I owed. The check was accepted as though paid in full.

Why did I do it? Because I was really aggravated at them for something which I have long since forgotten, but not my deliberate shortchange.

This act bothered me for years. Most of the time I had 'forgotten' it then it would come back to haunt me again of my foolishness which was sinful. Then one day the Spirit asked me a question: "you mean you would forfeit heaven over a few cents?" That did it! I called the owner up and asked if I could come speak with her, and she gladly welcomed me (she ws in the process of canning tomatoes, as I recall). After some small talk she asked why I came, so I told her how I stole a few cents from her many years ago. She had no memory of that and said I was forgiven many years ago and blessed me greatly for having come to speak to her.

The blessing I received from that visit so far exceeded the burden I was carrying all those years it today serves as a valuable lesson on the value of confession and restitution.

Ahh, the blessings of repentence and restitution....why do we wait so long in implementing it?

ginnyrose

2005/9/2 6:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Even if he is in Christian ministry, that should make no difference. Remember, Jesus' disciples, and Paul - they all did wrong things in their past. Remember King David. He was fully forgiven and restored as a king and spiritual leader.

This is a simple but important truth. Do the right thing even if the sky falls down. Before my conversion I had started on the route of so many young teenagers; petty shoplifting. The exitement was the draw and I gave away the few things that I stole, and forgot all about them. I was later converted and received some gracious movings of Spirit but the church of which I was part had regular prayer meetings for revival and there seemed to be little response to our prayer.

We prayed regularly using the Herald of His Coming as our fuel. One article centred on 'restitution'. It was amazing how vividly the remembrance of the shop lifting came back. I knew what I had to do. I visited the shops, sought a private interview with the managers and paid for the articles I had stolen some 5 or 6 years previously. They were mystified, I recall.

Meanwhile back on our knees... I never mentioned this to the prayer circle but a wonderful breath of God's Spirit moved through our church. The minister and his wife, then the organist and other 'officers' came into the fullness of the Spirit. The waves spread to other churches in the neighbourhood and beyond. The whole direction of churches and individuals was changed and many have faithfully served him at home and abroad for many years.

Was there a connection? I have my own thoughts, as will you...

2005/9/2 7:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
His question to me is, should he go to his employer and confess this. It will no doubt cost him his job as well and he will have to step down from a ministry position. (The act was perpetrated almost 5 years ago). I’m at a loss.

I re-read this and a verse came to mind...“When a man’s ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.” (Prov. 16:7, KJVS)

2005/9/2 7:29Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Meanwhile back on our knees... I never mentioned this to the prayer circle but a wonderful breath of God's Spirit moved through our church. The minister and his wife, then the organist and other 'officers' came into the fullness of the Spirit. The waves spread to other churches in the neighbourhood and beyond. The whole direction of churches and individuals was changed and many have faithfully served him at home and abroad for many years.

This is a wonderful testimony Ron. Thanks for sharing it.

2005/9/2 8:54Profile

Re:

Could these verses apply?

James 5:19-20 (Nasb)

19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,

20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

2005/9/2 11:34
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

I've heard good testimonies of people who have restored something from the past and I accept them as being good council.

One godly person once told me that people need to forgive themselves for what God has forgiven. Instead of being conviction, this sounds like condemnation and in that case would be coming from the enemy. {Romans 8:1}

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/9/2 12:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy