SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : CHALLENGE: What is Revival? (No quotes or Bible verses)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gery

CHALLENGE: What is Revival? (No quotes or Bible verses)

Dear Brethren

If you had to explain Revival to someone, not using ANY quotes or Bible verses, ONLY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: what would you say???

In Him,
Gery

2005/8/31 19:15Profile
roadsign

Re: CHALLENGE: What is Revival? (No quotes or Bible verses)

spiritual awakening

Diane

2005/8/31 22:00Profile

Re:

I've had personal revival a few times. I think conviction, the presense of God, and TRUE 100% understanding that GOD IS REAL, more real than we are.

2005/8/31 22:18
HopeinChrist

The things of this world lose their signifigance. One becomes aware of the magnitude of personal sin before a Holy God yet embracing the great love God bestowed upon us. The tasks of everyday life and even things or events which once held signifigance and pleasure are meaningless and even a nuisance. The desire to just sit at the feet of Jesus is overwhelming. This is my personal experience and even though it is wonderful I know there is still a place in Him that I have not yet found. I have been on this road long enough to know that this relationship and burning desire to know more of him must be guarded and intentionally, purposefully sought after. If we are not careful, we will get distracted with other things, (even good things) and the fire will die quickly if neglected.

I would also like to add some thoughts about revival beyond a personal level even though I don't think this is what you were asking. This is not from observation or experience (yet) but some of what I expect to see when God pours his spirit out on my city and beyond. I believe the very atmosphere and culture of the region will be changed. Generational sins and strongholds will be broken as men realize their need for redemption and cry out to God. Husbands will love their wives and children and will abide as priests in their own homes. Wives will honor and submit to their husbands. Children will be obedient and honor their parents. Crime will be nonexistent. The complacency of God's people will be shattered. Strife, disputings and divisions will end. God's people will manifest the fruit of the Spirit, love and esteem one another above themselves. The name of Jesus will be exalted and reverenced. It is hard to put into words all that my heart desires and expects to see. Yet, I really don't even know what to expect because I expect God to do exceedingly and abundantly above anything I could even fanthom.

While it is refreshing to read about some of the great revivals and moves of God in the past I really believe we have no reference point as to what God will do when his people turn from their sin, humble themselves and pray. Come on church. Can we just do this? Let's start here. Let's wash our hands and remove the idols from our hearts and petition the throne of God for our community, our country and our world. Pray Christians! Pray! Society has and is deteriorating so quickly while God's people stand idly by and watch. How long will the church continue to blame everyone else for the moral decline all around us? You can hardly tell the church from the world anymore. God, have mercy on us and teach us how to pray.
Hope

2005/8/31 23:45Profile
jeremyhulsey

Quote:
If you had to explain Revival to someone, not using ANY quotes or Bible verses, ONLY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: what would you say???

I would quickly quote and stand on verses in the Bible and how God has spoken to me through them. Such things as Jeremiah 31:31, Ezekiel chapter 36, and the promises to the Churches in Revelation. Going on personal experience only is dangerously close to subjectivism.

I can honestly say I've never experienced personal revival--and I have experienced wonderful times of refreshing--outside of God speaking to me through His word, either directly through the Bible, a sermon, or devotional liturature.

2005/9/1 0:24Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

What is subjectivism?
Hope

2005/9/1 0:29Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Hope,

Subjectivism is relying on feelings. Feelings can be deceptive and are not always grounded in the truth. Having said that, I'm most certainly not against an experience with God. I've had them myself.

I came up with a saying during my short stay at Central Bible College in Springfield Mo. that goes: "Truth without fire is dead, but fire without the truth is deadly. God give us the truth on fire!"

Having said all that, I hope that Gery doesn't take me wrong. He seems like a serious brother intent on revival and the seeing the Glory of God.

2005/9/1 0:49Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Re:

I've had only one experience that was so profound and extraordinary that I would call it a personal revival.

It is a terrible, awful awareness of my sinfulness and an awareness of the Holiness of God. Awareness doesn't describe the experience, maybe 'reality' does. And it brought me to repentance and hatred of sin, it made me eternity conscious, and aware of the lostness of man. And I was able to stand up to my bosses about things I was too scared to do before.

But it was based on Scripture (Isaiah 6) and from listening (recording) to a man who rightly divided the word of Truth (Ravenhill).
I agree with Br Husley if there was no foundational truth, it was but a feeling.

An aside: though I've often prayed and yearned for such a reality with God, it's only happened once. And I still struggle with things, though I know I'm different.

I guess we don't live in the mountains, and we yet have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, out here on the plains.

I don't have answers to why the reality of God is so rare.
But I believe Revival changes things.
God bless

2005/9/1 2:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

God is here.

2005/9/1 3:59Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Jeremy,
Thank you for responding. I understand where you're coming from and I love your quote, may I share it? (giving you credit of corse)

I had an experience once that maybe fit this description, "truth on fire" I was in worship and thinking about the scripture in Isaiah (63?) I saw the Lord on a Throne high and lifted up...............Woe is me for I am undone; for I am a man of unclean lips and dwell in the presence of a people of unclean lips. It was like I had a glimpse, ever so brief, millisecond greater understanding/realization of God's holiness. I literally felt like my flesh was disentigrating on my bones. Although it was brief in "time" (because I don't think I could have lived)on the other side/realm it was like an absence of time. I don't know if this makes any sense. I don't know how to put it into words. I have only ever shared this with a couple of close friends because I think most people would think I was crazy.
Hope

2005/9/1 6:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy