Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Moratorium on Activity -tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Moratorium on Activity -tozer

[b]Moratorium on Activity [/b]

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. --Psalm 139:23-24

I suppose my suggestion will not receive much serious attention, but I should like to suggest that we Bible-believing Christians announce a moratorium on religious activity and set our house in order preparatory to the coming of an afflatus from above. So carnal is the body of Christians which composes the conservative wing of the Church, so shockingly irreverent are our public services in some quarters, so degraded are our religious tastes in still others, that the need for power could scarcely have been greater at any time in history. I believe we should profit immensely were we to declare a period of silence and self-examination during which each one of us searched his own heart and sought to meet every condition for a real baptism of power from on high. The Pursuit of Man, 94.

"Lord, I do pray that You would move in the hearts of leaders in churches everywhere to prompt this time of silence and self- examination. So often activity feeds on itself and it takes a conscious effort to step off the treadmill to re-evaluate. Stimulate our hearts, and quiet us today to hear from You. Amen."

2005/8/31 17:48Profile
roadsign

Re: Moratorium on Activity -tozer

Quote:
I should like to suggest that we Bible-believing Christians announce a moratorium on religious activity

I'd say that this is exactly where God is leading many of his people - to come apart from it all.

As much as I value Tozer's suggestion, I'd have to add that I think this decision should be according to the Spirit's direction and timing.

On the other hand many Christ-followers are finding themselves right outside the church, not by choice, but because they were shown the door in some way or other. (no doubt also in God's timing)

Either way, God is helping individuals surrender their empty religious routines and is drawing them towards himself.

I can't imagine that too many religions institution would willingly choose to shut down their functions for the length of time it takes to bring about the radical change needed. Probably it will be God that shuts the "temple doors" - through such means as financial collapse, disharmony, or whatever.
diane

2005/8/31 19:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy