SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : John 3:30

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
i want it to be said of me one day that i was a spiritual midget.

I feel our stature may be only be considered that of a midget because we are found on our knees. Thats where we derive our strength from.

"You must GO forward on your knees."
-J. Hudson Taylor

"Let us advance upon our knees."
-Joseph Neesima

2004/2/3 20:15Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

I always find it hard to understand how God's 'reward system' works in heaven.

Since anything I do through the flesh whether good works or bad works is enmity to God and everything I do through the Spirit is of His doing then what will I receive reward for?
To put it differently, everything I do which is of any use to God, it's Him who does it anyway.

2004/2/4 3:11Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I always find it hard to understand how God's 'reward system' works in heaven.

just listen to this complimation:
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3639]Crowns (compilation) [/url]

2004/2/4 3:32Profile
moreofHim

Re:

pfr24,

I heartily agree with you. I have spoken about "spiritual giants" before. I suppose those are ones who God has raised up to point to HIM- without their knowledge of it really being done. We can only be used of Him when we are bringing attention to Him only and not ourselves and our abilities.

I really believe those who were "quiet" and humble in their ways are probably the ones who bring the most glory to the Lord because there is nothing of themselves showing. If any good thing comes about from them- it is only by God's good grace and strength.

If we are really becoming less of ourselves and more of Him- which is our/His whole goal- then we must let Him lead us in any way He sees fit. If this is being brought into hiding for some reason, or being brought low, or whatever- it will be pointing to Christ and not our "selves". It id very hard for someone who is in the "spotlight" or loud and boisterous, to be pointing to Jesus alone and not bring attention to "self".

This really makes me think.

In Him, Chanin

2004/2/4 5:00Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

On the issue of self-image, I find the books by some Christian teachers/counsellors quite helpful:

"How People Grow" by Cloud and Townsend
"Inside Out" by Larry Crabb

In my view, a healthy self-image from a Christian perspective means on the one hand, recognising that we are nothing but dust apart from God (John 15:5); and on the other hand, that we are God's beloved and chosen one, precious in his eyes (Psalms 8:4-8). It also means that we should derive own worth and value not from any other human (including ourselves), but from God only. In God the father, there is full acceptance and affirmation.

2004/2/4 5:15Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: John 3:30

by Chosen7Stone on 2003/11/8

"D.L. Moody once quoted Dr. Bonar, saying, "Dr. Bonar once said that he could tell when a Christian was growing. In proportion to his growth in grace he would elevate his Master, talk less of what he himself was doing, and become smaller and smaller in his own esteem, until, like the morning star, he faded away before the rising sun."
John 3:30 says, "He must increase, but I must decrease."
The world has many self-help books out and places so much value on the self. The world values high self-esteem and confidence, high self-worth and self-image. Pride is paramount, and you can only be successful in the world if you are confident and ambitious and believe in yourself. You must believe in yourself to be successful in the world. How many times have we seen or heard the "motivating" phrase, "Believe in yourself!" How has it slipped by our radar as a concept that is obviously against God?

"....I've heard Christians say you need to have a lot of confidence and self-esteem, but just make sure you're very humble.
What is this compromise? Can we sincerely lie to ourselves? What subtle conformity with the world are we buying into?"

Mary,
I just saw your original post. "Amen", sister.

Roger

2004/2/4 5:22Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This might be timely:

[i]Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous, so as to forget your work and the labor of love which you showed toward his name, in that you served the saints, and still do serve them. Heb 6:11 We desire that each one of you may show the same diligence to the fullness of hope even to the end, Heb 6:12 that you won't be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherited the promises. [/i]

2004/2/4 5:25Profile
moreofHim

Re:

I have come from a background of self-help book (Christian and non) and my Mom is still very caught up in that. I have come away from that where as my mom has not, and refuses to because it makes her feel better about herself and her "stuff". Because of this- she is at a place where she refuses to "Surrender" completely to God everything in her life. She is still hanging on to those "rights". Consequently she is very depressed and in denial of much that is wrong in her life.

I think that the John 3:30 verse and the subject of Surrender and Obedience all go hand in hand- which is why i like to discuss, talk about, and focus on them. In essence they all mean to be obedient to God and lay everything of ourselves at His feet. Our rights, our dreams, our wants, our bodies, our minds.

Those are all things of our "selves" which should decrease- and in turn they will be replaced by more of Himself-His right to do with us as He wishes, His desires, His wants, His will.

I will never get tired of going over this because it is so vital to the Christian life. That is the Christian life and many people fail to recognize it.

It's not about us in any way- it's all about Him. We are just His vessels to be used for His glory - and we get the privalege of going along for the ride. :-D

In Him, Chanin

2004/2/4 5:40Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

:oops:

2004/2/4 7:02Profile
rookie

Re:

For those who follow Christ, He will replace us with His life. As Paris Reidhead declared in Ten Shekels sermon, Our hearts should cry out, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessings!' Revelation 5:12

We who cry out are His reward. We won't have any desire to think about anything else.

Also, Thankyou Gregg for the compilations, ie Revival Hymn. I have started to share them with others in the church. I gave one to a new family in the church that just moved from Texas. I found out that they attended the prayer meetings held by Leonard Ravenhill. God's at work.
In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/4 7:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy