· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Salvation Army Logo, what does it mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Salvation Army Logo, what does it mean?

I went to tune a piano here in rochester at the local Salvation Army headquarters in Rochester, NY and noticed the logo outside their buildling.

It is a wheel like a cog, with a Crown on top of it, inside was a cross and two swords. it reads

BLOOD and FIRE.

Anyone know the history of this logo, and it's true meaning?

Thanks!
In Christ,
Doug

2005/8/31 12:54Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Salvation Army Logo, what does it mean?

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/crest.jpg[/img]

The symbolism of The Salvation Army crest is explained in the Chapter 11, Section 3 of Orders And Regulations for Officers, 1997, as follows:

(a) The round figure 'the sun' represents the light and fire of the Holy Spirit
(b) The cross in the centre represents the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ
(c) The letter S stands for Salvation
(d) The swords represent the warfare of salvation
(e) The shots represent the truths of the gospel
(f) The crown represents the crown of glory, which God will give to all his soldiers who are faithful to the end.

These explanations go back to the 1900 edition of Orders And Regulations for Field Officers, which is the earliest description of the crest we have found. Although the explanations have not changed, the details of the design have varied considerably through the years, and from country to country.

The number of shots varies from five, in our earliest examples, up to ten or more. Seven did not become standard until around 1910. From all our research, we have concluded that, as far as the symbolism of the crest is concerned, the number of gospel shots is not significant, any more than the number of rays on the sun, or whether the stars on the crown have three, four, or five points.

“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” - Henry Blackaby

2005/8/31 13:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The children of Salvationists were dedicated by being wrapped in the flag and their parents giving their consent to their child living and dying for the sake of the gospel.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2005/8/31 15:02Profile

Re: Salvation Army Logo, what does it mean?

Quote:
and their parents giving their consent to their child living and dying for the sake of the gospel

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Isn't it a bit extreme to have to consent to the possible [i]death[/i] of your children as a [i]condition[/i] to dedicating them to the Lord?

Am I being too [i]soft[/i] here?

2005/8/31 15:20
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Isn't it a bit extreme to have to consent to the possible death of your children as a condition to dedicating them to the Lord?

You have to remember the Salvation Army metaphor is 'war'. Many a terrorist/freedom fighter mother will dedicate her child to the cause whatever the cost. Salvationists represented 'extreme Christianity' in the sense of 'extreme Sport' etc. This was Christianity 'on the edge' with a willingness to do whatever it cost to serve the Lord.

That leaves it free for approval or disapproval, but that is where it is coming from.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2005/9/1 3:51Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy