Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Samuel's Ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
todd

California

Samuel's Ministry

Lars,

I didn't want to intrude on your Forthteller series so I started this new thread.

You wrote:
"To label him a recognised prophet is to disarm him and lock him into the system which he is sent to confront."

Are you referring here only to New Testament type of prophets? If no, what is your understanding of Samuel and his ministry? If yes, I would still like to hear any thoughts you have on Samuel and his ministry.

1 Samuel 19-20
"Thus Samuel grew and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fail. And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was confirmed as a prophet of the LORD."

1 Samuel 9:6-7
"...Behold, there is a man of God in this city, and the man is held in high honor; all that he says surely comes true... what shall we bring the man? For the bread is gone from our sack and there is no present to bring the man of God..."

So isn't it clear the Samuel was labeled a recognized (confirmed) prophet? And not only that, it seems he was paid for it.

2003/11/8 12:07Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Samuel's Ministry

Approval and recognition among men does not change the status of a vanity prophet before God. Respect for the office of the prophet and for the truth was still to be found among the people of Israel when Samuel walked along the paths of the old Israel. That kind of recognition is hard to find today.
One Elijah does away with hundreds of the prophets of the Ashera in a single blow because God judges differently from men.
A prophet receives his meals from the hand of God because God chooses to care for him.
A false prophet takes what he can get, and more, and praises the Lord for it.
The words of a false prophet may seem right in the first place, but the inner core will eventually be revealed.

2003/11/8 13:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy