Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ian Paisley comments on the KJV

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
taco

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
hmmm? Krispy perhaps you don't know that the vast majority of evangelicals over here would not touch Ian Paisley 'with a barge pole', as the saying goes. (It means they would keep their distance) I would personally disassociate myself from almost all that he has represented over decades. His fierce tirades and implacable attitudes have caused enormous offence to many. The fact that it is his voice which opens the compilation on revival means that I, and I suspect many others, could never use it in the UK.

As an Irishman, I have to agree with Ron.

2005/8/29 6:16Profile

Re:

Bennblake... we were asked last week not to continue the conversation we were having. This thread was not a continuation, but your response was. I would ask that you abide by the request that sermonindex made. Having said that... I will ignore your post, and I'm asking others to do the same so that this thread doesnt get locked.

[b]Philologos and Taco[/b]... I have only been introduced to Ian Paisley fairly recently, and am not aware of the controversy. Not saying there isnt any, just that this was the first time I have heard of it. Since he does not consider himself an evangelical, but rather a fundamentalist, I can understand why there would be a controversy... and I'm certainly not trying to cause controversy by using his name.

To be honest, it really doesnt matter whose thoughts I use concerning the KJV... someone, somewhere, isnt going to like them.

Krispy

2005/8/29 6:26
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Is it because he said things like this:

"The church of Jesus Christ is largely sleeping, like a great bedroom and you have all the Christians in bed and they’re all sleeping ... and they’re saying "Please, don't wake me up! I want to sleep on!"

Or is he dodged because of his stand against the Roman Catholic Church? If this is the case then Wesley, Ravenhill, Comfort, and many great preachers have the same stand.

I haven't heard that either. Why is Paisley avoided? I heard John Rice say in one of his sermons that he and Ian preached in each other's churches. I know Rice had a heart the size of Texas. So could you guys that are saying Paisley should be avoided give a BRIEF list of why he should be avoided? Thx.

In all honesty in sounds like he is avoided for speaking what he truly feels is right. I don't know whether he is wrong of right, but I get the feeling Paisley is avoided just like Jack Chick is avoided. Because he speaks the truth, even though his theology might not be 100% true.

2005/8/29 8:12Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
To be honest, it really doesnt matter whose thoughts I use concerning the KJV... someone, somewhere, isnt going to like them.

Aw. c'mon Krisp... this was not about the KJV. There are names which come up in the forums and we folk over here have never heard of them although most folks from the US are up in arms about them. This is just the same shoe on the other foot. I am aware that many folks love the rasping sounds of the opening of the Revival Hymn, but it would be interesting to do a little poll of the UK SIers and get their reactions to this. Ian Paisley is a militant protestant; I don't describe him as evangelical or fundamentalist. Others may.

2005/8/29 11:14Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
In all honesty in sounds like he is avoided for speaking what he truly feels is right. I don't know whether he is wrong of right, but I get the feeling Paisley is avoided just like Jack Chick is avoided. Because he speaks the truth, even though his theology might not be 100% true.

It is true that the Chick booklets give me the creeps but it is not Paisley's doctrine I object to, but his spirit.

2005/8/29 11:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I have only been introduced to Ian Paisley fairly recently, and am not aware of the controversy. Not saying there isnt any, just that this was the first time I have heard of it.

Sorry Krispy
Just another bit. This was why I posted. Simply because I knew there would be many who do not know the reputation of Ian Paisley. This wikipedia will give you a flavour. You can take a short cut by going to the quotations. It is because of his willingness to advocate 'taking up the gun' to defend his view of protestant Northern Ireland that he has offended many evangelicals and almost everybody else.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley]Ian Paisley[/url]

2005/8/29 11:24Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

phil,

I know what you mean. Reading Chick's stuff is heavy, and I don't agree with everything he writes. But honestly, is Chick's stand on the Roman Catholic Church true or not?

2005/8/29 11:25Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi philologos...!

I'm reading this thread with great interest, because I am not at all familar with Mr. Paisley.

Quote:
"In all honesty in sounds like he is avoided for speaking what he truly feels is right. I don't know whether he is wrong of right, but I get the feeling Paisley is avoided just like Jack Chick is avoided. Because he speaks the truth, even though his theology might not be 100% true."

As much as I enjoy many of Jack Chick's publications and tracts, I couldn't bring myself to say that he "speaks the truth" in much of what he publishes. Alot of the material available from his company are quite controversial because of its [i]doctrinal content[/i], not because it preaches [i]truth[/i]. Remember, Chick publishes the [i]Alberto[/i] series of books and comics that claim that everything from the [i]NIV[/i] to [i]Kathryn Kuhlman[/i] are part of a [i]vast Roman Catholic conspiracy[/i]. Chick also endorses and publishes several very controversial books, like [i]He Came to Set the Captives Free[/i], which tells strange tales that range from [i]humans changing into [u]real[/u] werewolves and vampires[/i] to [i]Christians being demon-possessed[/i].

Saying that Jack Chick is avoided because "he speaks the truth" is like saying that Pat Robertson is avoided because "he speaks the truth" as well. While both of their messages contain underlying elements of truth, both men mingle their message with controversial subjects and comments. Remember, water with just a little dirt added, has become unclean. It is now [i]dirty water[/i] -- no longer pure.

While I doubt we will ever find someone that everyone completely agrees with on doctrinal matters, we can still "[i]prove[/i] ([i]test[/i]) [i]everything[/i]" and "[i]hold fast that which is good[/i]" (I Thessalonians 5:21). Regardless of whether the words that we are testing are from Ian Paisley, Pat Robertson, Jack Chick or even Leonard Ravenhill -- we should always use the Word of God as [u]the[/u] litmus test about truth. I suspect that any true man of God would delight in such noble caution on the part of believers.

:-)

2005/8/29 11:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy