SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Gay Marriage a Step in the Right Direction?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Is Gay Marriage a Step in the Right Direction?

Quote:
I have been forming some thoughts in response - it sure grabs my attention. I think he's right on, but before I say more, I'd like to ask you: Do you think this preacher, Bruxy Cavey, is echoing the heart of Christ?

I listened this morning, and was most impressed by the way he covered everything one could wish for, in an even voice for the most part, and clear steps of explanation.

I'm not sure I picked up on him advocating 'gay marriage' though. I rather thought I heard him say a lot about Christian marriage and what God has in mind for people who will go God's way.

His main point, about loving disagreement with the gay lobby, was very well put over. I liked his q+a at the end too, and how he turned it round to challenge people's personal prejudices.

A very accomplished presentation, which demonstrated a superb lack of ignorance of what is going on with homosexual Christians who are serious about pleasing God - the way he applied the same truths to the heterosexual community was also masterful. Have I answered your question yet? Somehow, I don't think so, but thank you for posting this excellent talk. 8-)

2005/8/29 19:48
roadsign

Re:

From reading some of the comments, I'd say that the title can be misleading. This is not a debate, but a carefully thought out sermon helping us to understand the issues around gay marriage.

Since this issue is a major hot bed these days, I believe that we need to take time to learn about it, or we might do a lot of damage to the testimony of Christ. (which has been happening)

This sermon is truely amazing - it gives carefully thought-out rebuttals to those who approve of gay marriage. It also compares homosexuality to other sinful lifestyles.
I was very impressed with his answer to those who say that they are born with it. He brings forth another issue to consider.
Diane

2005/8/29 21:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Paul said, "Judge for yourself what I say." 1 Cor 10:15. These words are often spoken by Pastor Bruxy to his congregation. I understand from Scripture that it is our duty to judge carefully - ie to discern, use wise judgment.

This is a fascinating little body-swerve! The full quotation is...
“I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.”
(1Cor. 10:15, KJVS)
The letter was written to the saints at Corinth who he describes earlier...“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. [u]And such were some of you. But you were washed[/u], but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1Cor. 6:9-11, NKJV) The saints at Corinth 'used to be' people characterised by these sinful behaviours, but are clearly no longer so characterised. So it is written to, among others, [u]ex[/u]-homosexuals etc.

Secondly his word was to 'the wise' (phronimos) the thoughtful ones. He invites such to distance themselves from sins which destroyed Israel... immorality (1 Cor 10:8) , idolatry(1 Cor 10:14). His counsel to the thoughtful to 'judge what he says' is not a call to independent assessment of clear commands from God. It is part of Paul's manner of engaging the minds of those to whom he writes. He does not expect any 'thoughtful' ones among the saints at Corinth to arrive at a different judgement to his own on these matters. It is a way of saying 'you know what I am saying is right, if you think about it'.

To set this verse up as a permission for everyone to come to their own independent conclusions on moral issues is a travesty of Bible exegesis. But I think those who use it as such are not the 'thoughtful' ones that Paul addressed his words to, but simply those who think they have found a good 'sound-bite'. In tearing this half verse from its context they are doing exactly what Peter refers to...“and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also [u]our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which [b][i]untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction[/b][/i], as they do also the rest of the Scriptures[/u].” (2Pet. 3:15-16, NKJV)

2005/8/30 5:10Profile

Re: Is 'gay marriage' a step in the right direction?

philologos,

Did you think Bruxy Cavey is talking to 'untaught and unstable people' in this wide-ranging exposition?

(I thought the questions they ask at the end, puts them squarely in the bracket you attribute to Paul's audience.)

2005/8/30 5:46
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I don't know what audience he was talking to. I just know that to isolate a single half verse 'judge for yourselves' is not good exegesis. When you say his audience is that same that Paul addressed do you mean people who 'used to be' what they are now no longer?

2005/8/30 6:01Profile

Re: Is 'gay marriage' a step in the right direction?

Quote:
I don't know what audience he was talking to.

I suppose I don't know either, but, it sounded like his regular congregation, as they were not backward in coming forward with questions.

The question which asked whether transformation (of homosexuals) is possible, indicated to me the questioner understood transformation is possible; but I realise, (now) being able to ask that question would not vouch for the questioner's own transformation. It was an assumption on my part.

Quote:
I just know that to isolate a single half verse 'judge for yourselves' is not good exegesis.

This I accept completely and your explanation of Paul's meaning, is instructive; thank you.

Quote:
When you say his audience is that same that Paul addressed do you mean people who 'used to be' what they are now no longer?

The ambience I felt while listening, suggested to me a group of believers with whom the preacher was familiar. But, as anyone using such an opportunity, he also spoke to those who may not have been familiar with Biblical language (eg, choosing a synonym for 'Pharisee').

2005/8/30 9:10
ccchhhrrriiisss

Strange Title...

Hello...!

Am I the only one who feels [i]uncomfortable[/i] with the [u]title[/u] of this thread?

I understand the underlying message discussed in this thread, but I just wonder what the first impression visitors to this website might have when they read it.

"Gay marriage" and "right direction" seem like conflicting ideas in the [i]larger picture[/i] of righteousness. Besides, I don't think that we should rejoice in sin (including [i]legal[/i] sin) -- regardless if some think that it can speed the Lord's return. The Church should never quit taking a stand against sin -- even if it is unpopular or seems to be political in nature.

:-)

2005/8/30 9:50Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I just know that to isolate a single half verse 'judge for yourselves' is not good exegesis.

There is a context within Scripture and there is a context within a conversation. I was responding to a brother whom I sensed was reluctant to judge the preacher, I'm not sure why.

If we refrain from an opportunity to develop good judgment, and don't even listen, think, study a topic, then we are in danger of making judgments ANYWAY - WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO THE MESSAGE!!! Only then we make bad judgments.

In my understanding, practising judgment is not limited to the more spiritual people. Everyone must take this responsibility to develop discernment - to THINK. That is how we grow. To say, "don't make a judgment because you aren't mature enough" is dangerous. That's why people follow after cultish leaders - they let the "mature" ones decide for them.

I think that the heading of this thread is misleading, so I will start a new one with a different heading. The original one works in Bruxy's church setting, as you will understand if you check out this unique church:
[url=http://www.themeetinghouse.ca/sermons_search.php]The Meeting House[/url]
(This page is a list of other sermons - and will help you get the drift.) I think Bruxy would fit in well with Sermonindex (my judgment)

Philologos, I know that you have a very deep understanding of Scripture. So, I challenge you to consider Bruxy's sermon in the light of Scripture.

Perhaps I'll see you again on my new and revised version of the thread.
Diane

2005/8/30 9:58Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re:

dorcas wrote:

Quote:
A very accoumplished presentation, which demonstrated a superb lack of ignorance of what is going on with the homosexual christian who are serious about pleasing God

There is no such thing as a homosexual christian, nor are homosexuals serious about pleasing God but rather pleasing themselves (the flesh). They are being decieved into what they consider pleasing God.

2005/8/30 12:43Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re: Strange Title...

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:

Quote:
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the title of this thread?

Nope and I agree with you.

2005/8/30 12:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy