SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian or Humanist?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Christian or Humanist?

My church has a spot in a local paper and I was asked to write the article. I thought I would share it. Please pray God would bless this and bring conviction to all who read it. Thanks.

[size=large]Christian or Humanist?[/size]

Men have always imagined that whatever they perceived as truth is the truth even when it wasn’t. At one time men thought it was true that the world was flat. The Bible was always true in showing that the world is round (see Isaiah 40:22) even though men believed it was flat. Also, men imagined that the entire universe revolved around the earth. They were sure that all of the stars, the sun, and everything else known to man revolved around the earth. History has repeated itself. Even with all of the scientific discoveries, men are deceived in thinking that the whole universe revolves around them. The heart of the Bible clearly shows that all things revolve around the Son, not man. Humanism, by definition, is a doctrine or way of life centered on human interests. Christianity is a way of life centered on Christ. Is the modern church a Christian church or a humanistic church? Or better yet, are you a Christian or a Humanist?

In 2nd Timothy 3:2 is says that in the last days “men shall be lovers of their own selves.” Pride and the love of money have infiltrated many that name the name of Christ. Those that name the name of Christ should “depart from iniquity” (2 Tim 2:19). Pride in its purest form is a love of yourself or the things you have. So many today are being puffed up with pride from the very place most would agree it should be the farthest, the pulpit. Most Christianity preached today does nothing more to you than increase the love of yourself and money by telling you how great you are and how much money you can get. The word “you” is in that last sentence five times counting the word yourself and Christ once in the word Christianity. Christianity should be preaching repentance towards God, faith in Christ, life in Christ, and death to self. Do you see the shift of emphasis?

The late Leonard Ravenhill said, “Christ came to make dead men live, not bad men good.” Sadly enough, Christianity has been watered down to nothing more than messages of God making us happy and making us feel good. Where is the preaching of God’s holiness, God’s righteousness, God’s judgment, and God’s grace? Where is the preaching of God? Now all we hear of is what we want God to do or how He should help us fill our desires for money, success, and popularity. If that is what Christianity is then Jesus must have been confused when He said things like “it’s better to give than to receive”, “you will be hated of all men for my names sake,” and “a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

You may be saying, “Ok, so what happened?” The character of God has been distorted. Today men see God as nothing more than a jolly Ol’ Saint Nick, except that Santa wasn’t supposed to give good things to bad little boys and girls. Sin, righteousness, and judgment to come have been completely omitted. Proverbs 20:6 says, “Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness.” Just about everyone thinks they are a good person, but are you? If you murder someone you are a murder, rape someone you are a rapist, lie you are a liar. Most think that God should punish murders and rapist, but few think He should punish liars. Why? It is because they haven’t raped or murdered but they have lied and they do not want to be punished. They are justifying themselves. If you look at just a few of the Ten Commandments you will see that you are not as good as you think you are. When men don’t know they are guilty before God so they just shape Jesus into something they want Him to be. When men don’t think they need right-standing with God, they don’t think they need the Jesus of the Bible, so they make their own god to reflect their own interests. Their interests in most cases, as I stated before, are money, success, and popularity.

The beginning of Christianity is seeing you are guilty before God, repenting of sin, and allowing Christ to live in and through you or in other words letting Him be Lord over your life. Notice I said the beginning, it is not the end, but it is the first step in a walk with God. If you come to Christ, I can’t promise you a new car, a new house, or monetary gain, but I can promise you right standing with God. Proverbs 11:4 says, “Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.”

Christianity is not man centered, but Christ centered. Matthew 16:24 says, “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”

2005/8/25 18:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Christian or Humanist?

Preacher,
Thanks for posting your well thought out article.

You are so right in that man thinks of God as little more then a heavenly Santa Claus who would be too kindhearted to punish anyone, especialy them.

May God bless you.

ginnyrose

2005/8/25 19:43Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Christian or Humanist?

Great article.

2005/8/25 23:18Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Yeah I think its interesting using the Santa Claus analogy.... I remember when people use to talk about Santa they would ask were you a good little boy/girl? or were you a bad boy/girl? Because if you were bad you would get a lump of coal. Now its just like "What do you want Santa to get you this year?"

By the way I'm not pushing for Santa here. We can give gifts but lets do it in Christ's name not Santa's. ;-)

2005/8/26 9:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Preacher, I agree about giving gifts to loved ones. Some will go the extreme of saying this should not be done because it is rooted in paganism. As I understand the Scriptures all the devil does is take what God has created and pervert it. So it is time we reclaim from the enemy what originaly belonged to God.

You know the story of Santa Claus is rooted in a real person who actualy did a lot of good in his community. Since then people have idolized the man and they call him Santa Claus.

A friend of mine noted that if you switch a few letters around santa will spell satan. Interesting, is it not?

Now I got off on a rabbit trail! lol

ginnyrose

2005/8/26 9:17Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Yeah the guy was Nicholas something right? And they then called him Saint Nick?

Oh well.. we won't get off subject.. :-) Although some history on Christmas and how it has changed would be interesting.

2005/8/26 16:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy