SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Has this ever happened to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Has this ever happened to you?

A few years ago, I was asked by my pastor to speak with him in his office.

I attended an Assembly of God church that was experiencing a metamorphosis, seemingly from a church that emphasized righteousness -- into a more modern, non-offensive, "seeker-friendly," charismatic/prosperity type of church (as seen on TV). Programs were replacing simplicity, fellowship was replacing prayer meetings, and unashamed worldliness was taking a hold of many church leaders. Not everyone was happy with the direction that the Church seemed to be taking. Many wonderful people prayed that the Church would return to preaching righteousness. But as is sometimes typical, the voices of those who gladly accepted (and even pushed for) these changes was quite a bit more vocal than the "silent majority" who were displeased with the changes. Those who did not agree with the many changes were often accused of having a "religious spirit."

In his office, the pastor asked me a few questions about my beliefs, including my "favorite" preachers, musicians, and christian books. After a while, the pastor sternly warned me about listening to some of these ministers (like Leonard Ravenhill, David Wilkerson, Bill Wilson, Keith Green, and A. W. Tozer). He told me that listening to such men would produce a "judgmental spirit" in me, and that I would become unable to be used by God. He even told me to not "spread their messages or books" around the Church. Although the pastor acknowledged that I was sincere and "practicing what I believed," he said that someone had told him that they felt uncomfortable with the influence that those men of God could have on me.

After the meeting, I felt deeply hurt by the confrontation. I have always been filled with compassion for all people -- especially those who might be in sin, or those that the Church has turned its back on. I don't feel that such messages have made me judgmental. Rather, I have been filled with a greater understanding of the grace and power of God. Such messages have caused me to judge myself -- and realize that if I have flaws (as much as I deeply and passionately love the Lord), then I should be patient with others.

Has this ever happened to you?
It would be encouraging to know that I am not alone with this experience.

:-)

2005/8/24 1:32Profile
Compton

Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Quote:
...he said that someone had told him that they felt uncomfortable with the influence that those men of God could have on me.

Hmmm, I wonder who told him that? :-(

MC

2005/8/24 2:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Compton...!

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Quote:
...he said that someone had told him that they felt uncomfortable with the influence that those men of God could have on me.

Hmmm, I wonder who told him that? :-(

MC

I'm not really certain who told the pastor that, and the pastor never let me know (even when I asked). However, I sort of suspected that it might have been a man in the church who had tried to convince me that David Wilkerson was a "false prophet." I listened to his argument, but I politely disagreed with him. He seemed strangely frustrated that I did not "accept" his warning. Of course, he didn't call Wilkerson or Ravenhill "men of God" either. The pastor called me into his office a few weeks later.

:-)

2005/8/24 2:29Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re:

Consider yourself blessed that you were able to meet with your pastor.

I've tried to just hand out some sermons I've downloaded from here just to let others get some of the wonderful truths I've gotten here and I can't even get anyone to listen to them. I've tried to talk to some elders about the same truths and it's like talking to a brick wall.

What makes people so comfortable that they hate any new truth or change?
You could put all services in a bag, shake them up, and you couldn't tell one from the other.

Order of service:
sing 2 fast songs
sing 2 slow songs
sing 1 fast song
tithe and offering\stress how you must tithe
preaching
alter call with plenty of emotion/invitation to accept Chirst may be given or not

Didn't mean to complain so much but just wanted to let you know you were not alone!

In Him
geddingsm

2005/8/24 8:42Profile
Nellie

Re:

I haven't been called into the Pastor's office, but have had remarks made from the pulpit that I knew was meant for me.
I have given out David Wilkerson and Carter Conlons tapes, and have shared their Video's.
When we obey God, we can expect to be persecuted .
They didn't want to hear Jesus either.
I have grown in the Lord by listening to Preachers on this web site, and was riding the fence, until God sent to me, the DW and CC Video's.
I get them every month, and I also listen to their Sermons on this web-site.
I despise a watered down Gospel.
May we all get bold as lions, wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
To God be all Glory, Honor, and Praise.
In His Service
Nellie :-)

2005/8/24 11:06Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

I haven't yet had this situation happen to me, but a confrontation is slowly becoming inevitable. Here are some quotes that have been helping me:

"It's better to be divided by truth than united in compromise."

(unkown)

"When priciples that run against your deepest convictions begin to win the day, then battle is your calling, and peace has become sin; you must, at the price of dearest peace, lay your convictions bare before friend and enemy, with all the fire of your faith."

Abraham Kuyper

"May He enable us together to stand as a rock in the raging seas all around us. We must, of course, never pride ourselves on our stand, or become self-righteous or small-minded persons. But in humility and obedience, let us follow the apostolic exhortations, always coming to know more deeply our glorious God, remembering that He has redeemed us, and aware of what a glorious faith it is to which He has called us to bear witness. Here let us take our stand."

Martyn Lloyd-Jones

2005/8/24 11:47Profile
gpet17

Re:

It is for freedom that Christ set us free.......not the sunday clubs across America, that gather for a feel good session...of I'm ok your ok...pulp that is fed to the masses...so their club house can have a new parking lot, and maybe even let homeless people sleep there once a week.
Thanks to all of you ...who dare to seek the TRUTH..
David Wilkerson etc. is WAY OVER little stone hearted congregations of joy boy thinking...his sermon on anguish is very hard to hear...when your looking for that next fun song to sing.....How bout a dose of Ian Thomas....his grain of wheat sermon sent me to my knee's.....try playing that one to the Easter dressed congregation.....that would clear the place.
God bless all of you for understanding the truth in your hearts.
Small groups of truth seeking individuals will always meet with the world's resisitance..for this all started with a small group of Christ's own.

No rock bands....no internet...no tv...no radio..just.....Christ

2005/8/24 13:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Sure has....I was told there are people who are scared of me! and I never knew that. I love people, am vocal about what the scripture says, and have tried to be kind to everyone. So, I have concluded some must have been convicted of their sins and they see me as a rep of the absoluteness of God's Word. I abhor New Age thought and can discern it quite easily...perhaps that may be why? In any case, one needs to be so led by the Spirit of the LORD that opinions will not matter...easier said then done.

ginngrose

2005/8/24 17:16Profile
Tears_of_joy

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

2 Timothy 4

2005/8/25 3:13Profile
Nellie

Re:

Amen and Amen, Tears of Joy.
Nellie

2005/8/25 11:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy