SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Jaci Velasquez Divorced

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Quote:
Why is this even posted here? Seems like gossip to me... I'm sure both parties are hurting in this divorce. Why do we all need to know all about it?

I think it's good to know about it because Jaci Velasquez is a Christian, we're all Christians, and it's an opportunity to discuss where a Christian stands when it comes to divorce. Is it not that big of a deal? How does God view divorce? As Jaci stated, we all are humans who make mistakes, but is that an excuse to ignore how God views this matter? What was the mistake? That the marriage simply "didn't work"? That they got married in the first place?

[b]The World Says[/b]
"Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce."

[b]Jesus Said[/b]
"Whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery."

-- Matthew 5:31-32 (Jesus' Sermon on the Mount)

It is a sad thing when a Christian couple divorce each other or a Christian has to experience divorce happening to them unwillingly because the importance of holding a marriage together as a Christian in this world is that it's the closest picture the world has of what our relationship is supposed to look like with Jesus. Not only that, it's clear that divorce grieves the Lord, and the only Biblical recording of the grounds for it was only written because of the hardness of man's heart. It is not God's will or design. It's man's failure. And the failures of man are destructive and grievous. Christians have the Holy Spirit in them to help them live victorious lives that please their heavenly Father.

2005/8/23 17:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

From quotes of Yodi's post of Velasquez, and perhaps I am wrong in this, but it sounds as if she looks at her music more as something for the purpose of a musical career than it being a ministry. I've wondered about this a lot lately with Christian musicians. How many of them out there look at their music simply as ministry... and actually treat it as such?

Oh where have the Keith Green's gone?

2005/8/23 18:26Profile
arielle

usa

Re: Jaci Velasquez Divorced

Quote:
Oh where have the Keith Green's gone?

hmmm...i have to be asking myself the same question right now... :cry:

2005/8/23 19:23Profile
AsliEren

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I remember way back when Amy Grant divorced her husband and I started talking about it with christians. I said something about how I had put her up on this pedestal and had learned a great deal from her songs and now I feel very disapointed in her.

Some guy in the bible study bursted out at me that I should not talk about her and that that is not our business to be putting people up on pedestals.

The thing is that I know I shouldn't revere Christian role models above God but nonetheless I do revere them like a teacher. I admit I have teachers in my life I get help from that I believe God has blessed me with. Jam 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

She is teaching the entire Christian radio listening audience her views about God so I think she is due her condemnation by God whatever that might be and we who also want to be masters of people should see her life as a warning of what can happen to a master of people. We will get our punishment whether we think we won't or not it will come back to bite us. If I were to be in her shoes and divorced my wife I would rightfully be a cast away from any future leadership position and would be humbly accepting of my lower place in the Christian world without any bitterness. She unfortunately will probably still go on to be a great success and be accepted by most Christians as an example of God's grace inspite of her "silly little divorce." It's no less God's grace to step down from "ministry" and repent and do something in line with a repentant heart.

2005/8/23 22:33Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Numbers 32:23 - But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.

In Christ,
Doug

2005/8/23 23:04Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re: Jaci Velasquez Divorced

http://amygrant.offramp.org/info/2001/45.html

Quote:
Less than two years after her 2003 wedding made the news, Christian/Latin music superstar Jaci Velasquez's marriage has ended in divorce.

Quote:
"Somehow, things took a turn and we have ended up in divorce." A Word Records spokesman said Velasquez and Potuck had worked to save their marriage

Read the interview above by Amy Grant and Vince Gill about their 'joining'.........adultery started way before either of them ever got divorced/remarried. Jaci gets civilly divorced after less than 2 years of marriage and in that short time they "worked to save their marriage"? Very sad how little marriage is valued by some who profess Christ in their public ministries.

Should we discuss these things? Absolutely. When we look into other's lives who are public figures (professing Christians), we should be SO very aware that the enemy waits to cause the very same destruction in our own lives. We must always be on guard, lest we fall as they.

Quote:
After Grant's divorce became public, many radio stations stopped playing her songs and many Christian retailers refused to stock her albums. But Grant has made a comeback in Christian music circles in recent years, especially with her two hymns albums, Legacy (2002) and Rock of Ages (2005).

In 1999 fans/record outlets wouldn't buy/sell/play her music due to her divorce and then adulterous remarriage. What changed from then til now? Nothing........we have become desensitized to sin. Given enough time, enough niceness on the parts of those who sin.........we forget and accept, though nothing truly has changed. It is exactly how acceptance of homosexual marriages/blessed unions have made their inroads into the professing Church. Because it is becoming accepted/embraced by the world.............so goes the church. Just my observations. Blessings in Jesus, Cindy

2005/8/23 23:49Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

To me…this all is so obvious. Satan knows he can’t annihilate God or touch His righteousness and faithfulness. That’s why he is out to destroy every image God brought into being as a reflection and revelation of His character…

“The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.” (Psalm 19:1)

Satan tried to ruin this testimony of the awesomeness and almightiness of God by launching his master piece: the evolution theory.

“For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” (Romans 8:15)

…and we live in a time where many children don’t even have a daddy anymore, let alone a dad who makes sacrifices to spend quality time with his children and be an example to them. Oh yes, they (the parents) give the child whatever he/she wants: TV’s, computers, internet, games, money, clothes, tickets to all kinds of festivals etc. And yes, they allow their children to practice every sport they want. And you know what, they even dare to say that they “do it, because they love their children”. It’s all self-centredness.

They send their children to Sunday school and demand from the Church to teach and educate them. The very same people who are leading Biblestudies for teenagers at Church…to teach them and learn them…neglect their responsibilities as parents at home. They teach what they don’t practice. And the whole world is crying out: “what’s happened to the youth…they are so incontrollable, so disobedient, without respect…”.

“A son honors his father…” (Malachi 1:6a)

Yeah, right! “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy…” (2 Timothy 3:1-2)

There goes another symbol God uses to describe His relationship towards those who believe on the Lord Jesus and vice versa. No obedience. No respect. No authority.

And that’s 3 strikes people: we’re out!!! But there’s more…and I have the idea that more than ever, Satan is trying to attack this “symbol of God”. The image that reflects how Christ loved and loves the Church and laid His life down for it. A beautiful picture, yet severely attacked…and you’ll all know what I’m talking about: MARRIAGE! (see Ephesians 5:22-33)

“This is another thing you do: you cover the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping and with groaning, because He no longer regards the offering or accepts it with favor from your hand. "Yet you say, 'For what reason?' Because the LORD has been a witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.
"But not one has done so who has a remnant of the Spirit. And what did that one do while he was seeking a godly offspring? Take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth.
“For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.” (Malachi 2:13-16)

Just the other day, I read a post on another forum, which I shall not mention…but I will write the essence of what she wrote:

She has been married for a short period of time and is not happy at all. She’s a Christian, but she feels that it is wrong to stay in her marriage simply because he will not change. She knows almost for certain that he has cheated on her.

Then she says that she doesn’t feel that God expects her to say with him and be so unhappy.

Before she got married he wasn’t a true Christian, so she told him that she couldn’t marry him unless he would be(come) a Christian. She asked him again if he was a Christian. He said he was…and therefore she thought that everything was fine and married him…

Boy, o boy, o boy! How many times don’t you hear this argument: “God is love and I know He wants me to be happy…so I divorced him/her” (or: that’s why I am gay / that’s why I am married to an unbeliever). The woman I mentioned even got the following advice:

i advise you to get out of this relation as soon as possible
give him a divorce and begin a new life
get a good job that will keep you busy and make you forget your worries
all the best

Wow, man…thanks. Never thought about it that way!

Two things really “jumped out on me” (don’t know if that’s an English saying) in the testimony of this woman:

1. A lack of commitment
2. Total indifference

How on earth is it possible to decide to enter a marriage on the basis of a confession of these words: “I’m a Christian”. Man…you (will hopefully) spend months/years with each other before you make the decision to marry…you see no fruits of the Spirit, no Christian attitude or life, no love for God…and then you just decide to marry someone simply because he or she says: “I believe in Jesus”. I really can’t understand that…well, I think I can (a little bit). Love makes blind…and self-centredness leaves no room for Godly (by God Himself!) counsel.

How long will this go on? How long do I always need to explain to people that I’m not a “common” Christian? What’s a common Christian then anyways?

It’s my prayer that I (and we all) will honor God with my life. I know I have to guard my heart with all vigilance above all that I guard, for out of it flow the springs of life (Proverbs 4:23). I know that I have dishonoured Christ with my life at times…and I’m aware that I have to surrender myself to Him, asking Him to help me in being a faithful witness to this world. Let us hide the following verse in our heart…it will keep us from boasting and from pride and it will learn us to be dependent on Him alone. Everything we achieved, even our heart that may be tremendously on fire for Jesus…

“…by the grace of God I am what I am” (1 Cor 15:10).

“but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD…” (Jeremiah 9:24)

Let us stay focused, brothers and sisters...let our hearts be fixed, fixed on Jesus alone! Let Him increase as we decrease...

In Jesus Christ,

Paul

2005/8/24 4:30Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
God has been speaking that to my heart personally it does not matter if we are a public figure like Jaci v. or just a follower of Jesus Christ in nomial life "our sins WILL find us out" we need to live circumspectly for the days are evil

This is quite true.

[i]But if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the LORD, and be sure your sin will find you out.[/i] (Numbers 32:23)

It is interesting that God is often found shouting peoples sins from the housetops when they will not repent.

[i]Some men's sins are evident, going before unto judgment; and some men also they follow after.[/i] (I Timothy 5:24)

It is amazing how as human beings we tend to make known our good works and shield out shortcomings. In essence, we send our good works before us and allow our sins to follow after.

But the verse continues...

[i]Likewise also the good works of some are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.[/i] (5:25)

There are many whose sins are exposed in this life. Many who to some degree or another live in glass houses and make no bones about their sin.

[i]He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy[/i] (Proverbs 28:13)

Here is a general direction relative to conversion. 1. If the sinner do not [u]acknowledge[/u] his sins; [i]if he cover and excuse them[/i], and refuse to come to the light of God's word and Spirit, lest his deeds should be reproved, he shall find no salvation. God will never admit a sinful, unhumbled soul, into his kingdom. (Adam Clarke)

I have a saying that says, "The Christian's 'closet' secrets are Heavens headline news." We concern ourselves with mortal men finding out our sins, when all the host of heaven fallen and elect are privy to your sin. So who are we fooling here? Not just does God see- the enemy sees. God is already embarassed (as it were) when we fall and the enemy runs right to Him to accuse us. God saw it, the angels saw it, and the enemy saw it. Why deny it now? Why not humble yourself before God and confess it to Him. Why not beat the enemy to the throne and confess the fault before the enemy gets a chance to accuse?

Confession of sin should always be proportional to the parties affected. Nothing humbles a person like these words, "I have sinned against the Lord." no a 'mistake' or a 'mishap' - I have sinned! AGREE with God. If your sin is publicly known glorify God and agree with him in your condition.

Here we read:

[i]And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.[/i] (Joshua 7:19)

This is a solumn situation indeed. And I wonder if we ever consider how much secret sin hinders the work of God in the Church? Israel lost a battle of this mans sin. There is way to much at stake in the Body of Christ for us to ever consider falling into secret sins. What if the revelation came in the fact that God's glory lifted off of our work? What would we do then?

Beloved, why do you think we have sinner's prayers and all this mechanical stuff- its because God's manifest presence is gone and people have to try to make up with it with strategys and schemes and methods and programs. Now you know the rest of the story. So while we are thrashing the Rick Warren's and such we would do well to figure out how were going to get the candlestick put back into our ministries. I have learned that Finney's works can help us learn what NOT to do when it comes to counseling sinners and such- and some basic guidelines as to what God 'would' say to them. But NOTHING takes the place of God's Spirit showing up. And if He is not present- then why not? Could it be secret sin? Achan's tent type stuff? We need to be sensitive to the Spirit and be obedient to what God says to do and not do. Have we left our first love? What is it? Could it be a matter of simply obedience?

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/8/24 9:03Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...!

I have read through these posts (and even performed a couple of Google and Yahoo! searches), but I haven't found a [i]cause[/i] for the divorce. Does anyone know whether there was adultery committed by her husband (or even vice versa)? I'm not really a big Jaci Velasquez fan (not at all, really), but I just thought that it could just possibly be a [i]permitable[/i] divorce (as sanctioned through Scripture) because of adultery. If this is true, the finger should not be pointing at [i]her[/i].

Has anyone found any more information on this?

:-)

*EDIT*
I wonder if King David, as a public figure, ever had a group that talked in the same manner about [i]his[/i] sins and indiscretions. I know that many of you are already praying for Jaci and her husband concerning this situation, but let us continue to prompt one another to pray.

Oh, and I [u]do[/u] like one of her songs: "[i]I Will Rest in You[/i]"

2005/8/24 10:58Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Quote:
I wonder if King David, as a public figure, ever had a group that talked in the same manner about his sins and indiscretions.

[b]ccchhhrriiisss[/b]
But look at King David's reaction towards his sins in Psalm 51. David acknowledged that he had sinned, asked for God's forgiveness and repented from his mistakes. I did not read anything from the interviews with Jaci that expressed she was sorry for anything. She's heartbroken, that's it. Do Christians not realize that their lives are supposed to reflect Christ. I would think my heart would be more broken due to the fact that as a Christian my marriage ended up being a bad example to the body of Christ and the world, rather than just a personal injury. And I could be wrong, but in my opinion, if adultry were committed, it wouldn't be hidden as a cause for divorce in the interviews. I think as a Christian, if adultry was committed against you, you would clear your witness with that truth, and try your best by God's power to be forgiving.

I think the whole point of this discussion and this article being posted is a wake up call for Christians to evaluate their own lives to see if being a good witness to the world and the body of Christ is even considered important, or is the importance of a good Christian witness just excused away by the pleas of, "I'm not perfect. I'm only human." God has the power to help us live by a higher standard than that.

2005/8/24 13:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy