SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Is Covenant Theology?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

What Is Covenant Theology?

I was checking out a recommended website on someone's xanga page - [url=http://www.apuritansmind.com/MainPage.htm]A Puritan's Mind[/url] - and saw 'Covenant Theology' on the Main Page's menu. I did a bit of browsing, but wasn't understanding what this particular theology was all about. In simple terms and in an understandable explanation, can someone tell me what this belief is? Thank you.

2005/8/23 14:50Profile
dougkristen

Re: What Is Covenant Theology?

Hi Yolanda,

http://www.freebooks.com/docs/21f6_47e.htm

Sutton has a book about covenant theology that you can read for free on the internet. It is of the reformed stream of theology, where God deals covenantly with his people vs. on an indiviual basis.

The basics is God deals with His people in covenants in all areas of life. I have read this book about 10 years ago.

I will write some more later on this subject.

In Christ,
Doug Renz

2005/8/23 16:00Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

[b][u]Covenant Theology[/u][/b]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In brief, Covenant Theology teaches that God has established two covenants with mankind and one within the Godhead to deal with how the other two relate. The first (in logical order), usually called the Covenant of Redemption, is the agreement within the Godhead that the Father would appoint his son Jesus to give up his life for mankind and that Jesus would do so.

The second, called the Covenant of Works, was made in the Garden of Eden between God and Adam and promised life for obedience and death for disobedience. Adam disobeyed God and broke the covenant, and so the third covenant was made between God and all of mankind, who also fell with Adam according to the Reformed understanding of Romans 5:12-21.

This third covenant, the Covenant of Grace, promised eternal blessing for belief in Christ and obedience to God's word. It became the basis for all future covenants that God made individually (with Noah, Abraham, and David), nationally (that is, with the Israelites as a people), and universally with man in the New Covenant. These individual covenants are called the "biblical covenants" because they are explicitly described in the Bible.

[b][u]Covenant Theology and the Biblical Covenants[/u][/b]
Covenant theology first sees a Covenant of Works administered with Adam in the Garden of Eden. Though it is not explicitly called a covenant in the Bible, Hosea 6:7 has been interpreted to support the idea. The specific covenants after the fall of Adam are seen as administered under the overarching theological Covenant of Grace and include:

• The Abrahamic Covenant, found in Genesis chapter 15.
• The Mosaic Covenant, found in Exodus chapters 19 through 24.
• The Palestinian Covenant -- an unconditional covenant enlarging upon the Abrahamic Covenant promising the seed of Abraham eternal possession in the land (Deuteronomy 30:1-10), and
• The Davidic Covenant, found in 2 Samuel chapter 7 establishing David and his lineage as the rightful kings of Israel and Judah and extending the covenant of Abraham to David's lineage.
• The New Covenant, predicted by the prophet Jeremiah in the eponymous book, chapter 31, and connected with Jesus at the Last Supper where he says that the cup is "the New Covenant in [his] blood" and further in the Epistle to the Hebrews (chapters 8-10). The term "New Testament," most often used for the collection of books in the Bible, can also refer to the New Covenant as a theological concept.

2005/8/23 16:21Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

[b]dougkristen[/b]

Thanks for the resource. I didn't want to spend too much time researching it. I just went onto this Puritan website and the first thing that caught my eye was 'Covenant Theology'. That sounded familiar to me, so I just wanted to be clear on what the belief was. I did a search on wikipedia and got the above result. Thanks for your help.

2005/8/23 16:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy