SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Air Preaching; what bible version to use?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Open Air Preaching; what bible version to use?

Hi Brothers and Sisters,

I am just wondering for those of you that are open air preaching on a consective basis or for others to comment, what version of the bible do you think is best for open air preaching and the proclamation of God's word to this generation? I use KJV as a prefered bible now.

2005/8/22 11:22Profile

Re: Open Air Preaching; what bible version to use?

I'm with ya... KJV. Nothing is as clear and in your face as the KJV.

Krispy

2005/8/22 11:35
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

wen'a street preachin on saturday, read from Jeremiah, was going to modernize what was being said.. take out the thee's and thou's etc..

didn't... got half way through the reading before i noticed too.. lol

KJV defnintely, think people hear the thee's and thou's and know your reading from the Word of God

2005/8/22 11:41Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Hey Greg,
I use the KJV, because that's the version I am reading/ studying myself.

In open air preaching I will read throught the passage (in the KJV), then I go back and go through the text verse by verse, keeping within the context of what God is saying/addressing, but I will put it into simple language that the people that come can relate to and understand.

I really don't think it's the version that matters, primarily...it's the heart of the person opening their mouth.

2005/8/22 11:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

In my mind I have the KJV because that is 'my bible' but like others I am ready to paraphrase or even to just state biblical truth. Paul's encounter with the pagans in Athens finds him quoting neither Masoretic text nor Septuagint ;-) but heathen poets.

2005/8/22 12:59Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

The Holy Spirit

2005/8/22 15:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

I take my NASB with me, but when doing open-air, I tend not to preach like I do in a pulpit... as most heathen don't care about what version you are using, nor do they generally care where verses are located. If you say it is in there, they generally believe you. Sometimes I have read passages out loud in length, e.g. the sermon on the mount. But, since NASB is my prefered translation, I use the NASB when reading passages.

Fact of the matter is, most Christians have a hard time reading the KJV and comprehending it. Most heathen will have an even harder time understanding it. Perhaps though, they might be more interested in it if they were to walk by and hear somebody speaking KJ english.. then again, they might be turned off.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. It simply matters if the preacher is being faithful to the message.

2005/8/22 15:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thanks for all the comments, the main reason was my small inkling that felt it would be too hard for people to understand the KJV if read in public. But I do think the trend is that if the text becomes real to me then sharing with others will only be a bi-product of what it has already done in changing my heart.

I think it is easy enough as brother Josh said to modify some of the langauge in KJV on the "fly" when preaching open air if that is needed to clarify the verse.

2005/8/22 16:52Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I even modify the language when preaching from the NASB on the fly, and sometimes paraphrase parts that might be a little less important to my audience, and jump around and the like. I feel free to use the "King Jimmy" Version of the Bible. All preachers, even strong KJV only advocates, regularly paraphrase from the Bible when preaching. Even the writers of Scriptures felt free to paraphrase some of the verses they quoted from the OT. As long as the essence of what you are saying is the word of God, and what you say agrees with Scripture, and that you are being faithful to the gospel message, and following the leading of the Spirit, then it really doesn't matter.

2005/8/22 17:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
beenblake wrote: The Holy Spirit

If you're preaching out of the Bible... then you ARE preaching from the Holy Spirit!

Krispy

2005/8/23 9:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy