SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 22: Vengeance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 22: Vengeance

Hell and Everlasting Punishment
Part 22: Vengeance

God declares: "To me belongeth vengeance, and recompense, their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste" (Deuteronomy 32:35). This is the passage of scripture from which Jonathan Edwards preached his well-known and greatly-used sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God." His text was "their foot shall slide in due time."

In this sermon, Jonathan Edwards said: "It is true, that judgement against your evil work has not been executed hitherto; the floods of God's vengeance have been witheld. But your guilt in the meantime is constantly increasing, and you are every day treasuring up more wrath. The waters are continually rising, and waxing more and more mighty; and there is nothing but the mere pleasure of God that holds the waters back, that are unwilling to be stopped, and press hard to go forward.

If God should only withdraw His hand from the floodgate, it would immediately fly open, and the fiery floods of the fierceness and wrath of God would rush forth with inconceivable fury, and would come upon you with omni-potent power. If your strength were 10,000 times greater than it is, yea 10,000 times greater than the stoutest, sturdiest devil in Hell, it would be nothing to withstand or endure it."

"Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord" (Romans 12:19)

Christ will come again "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thessalonians 1:8).

2005/8/21 21:37Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy