SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The LAW of Moses/ The LAW of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sscr01

The LAW of Moses/ The LAW of God

Ceremonial Law:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Ephesians 2:15.
2. Was spoken by Moses. Leviticus 1:1-3.
3. Was written by Moses in a book, 11 Chronicles 35:12.
4. Was placed in the side of the ark. Deuteronomy 31:24-26.
5. Was nailed to the cross. Colossians 2:14.
6. Was abolished by Christ. Ephesians 2:15.

10 Commandments:

1. Is called, the "royal law." James 2:8.
2. Was spoken by God. Deuteronomy 4:12,13.
3. Was written with the finger of God. Exodus 31:18.
4. Was placed inside the ark. Exodus 40:20; Hebrews 9:4.
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Psalms 111:7,8.
6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Matthew 5:17,18.

The ceremonial law was temporary, the Ten Commandments, were written by God, Himself, reveal His character (in contrast to ours), and are eternal. It is not possible, for any man or institution to over-rule and change God's law.

In Genesis we read, "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day, God ended his work, which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it..."Genesis 2:1-3a.

The fourth commandment reads, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God...For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11.

We have been told, that, the New Testament christians changed the Sabbath to Sunday, the first day of the week, in honor of our Lord's resurrection. That is impossible - what man or institution has the authority to over-rule and change God's "royal law"? No one.

The sabbaths of the ceremonial law are optional, the fourth commandment is not.

Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15. "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." John 15:10.

Some have been confused by Jesus' statement - "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (See, also, Deuteronomy 6:5;30:6,10.)"This is the first and great commandment." If we keep the first four of the Ten Commandments, we will, likewise, keep this commandment. He continued, "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." If we keep the last six of the Ten Commandments, we will fulfill this command. "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40.

In the book of Revelation, we hear the angel "saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water." Revelation 14:7. The wording here is very similar to that of the fourth commandment, which honors our Creator.

Some might say, "It's just a day," but, in The Garden, it was just a tree...and look what happened! Beginning in Genesis, all the way through the book of Revelation, the issue has always been about worship and obedience.

John said, "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4. These are strong words, but, God's Word, nonetheless. The Ten Commandments are the standard, by which our lives are measured. Under the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34), the finger of God writes His laws, once again, upon the fleshly tablets of our hearts, and enable us by His Holy Spirit, to love, worship and obey Him.

2005/8/20 1:32Profile

Re: James 2:8

Oh my ~ Here we go again.

[u]Please[/u] read Galatians sscr01.

2005/8/20 2:46
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: The LAW of Moses/ The LAW of God

I agree we should set aside one day a week. But the whole Sat/Sun Sabbath I think is dividing the body of Christ. Please read:

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

No one has a calendar that goes back to 0 AD. So I'm not going to fight anyone that loves the LORD who worships on a different day than me.

The key to understanding the Word of God is to understand the evidence of the trinity. From the 3RD sentence of Scripture, past the 3 crosses, and throughout the rest of Scripture. Notice the Christ slept on the Jewish Sabbath, and arose on the 3rd day. If someone wants to celebrate the day He slept by resting, go ahead. If someone wants to celebrate His resurrection on the 3rd day, go ahead.

We must use reason as well. Are Christian policemen, firefighters, and military supposed to rest on the Sabbath above all, and let crime, destruction, and evil-doers reign? Of course not. Pick one day and rest. We should be worshipping every day. We should be the same every day. That one day is set aside to put work aside, when reasonable, and gather ourselves and get ahold of God, read His Word, build each other, etc. If a family member is on their deathbed in the hospitol, or if your spouse is broken down on the side of the road in a rain storm, are you in danger of hellfire for missing church?

"What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?"

Even if you are right, and we can't see your point because we are weak in the faith, read what you are supposed to do:

"Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations."

You are supposed to receive us, but not in order to have someone to dispute with.

Someone told John R. Rice, "Brother Rice, when you get all the people agreeing together, then you can have revival." To which Dr. Rice replied, "No, then you've got the millenium, my brother." (Sermon: Paul Rejoices Over Enemies)

2005/8/20 6:38Profile

Re:

I know im supposed to be gone, but im online like a fraction of the time i used to be on.

I just saw this observation.

Jam.2:8 was a mis-quote on your part.

This is what i got in typing the verse in the NASB search thing.

8 If, however, you (A)are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "(B)YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

Cross - Refererances
A. James 2:8 : Matt 7:12
B. James 2:8 : Lev 19:18

If you follow 'royal' you get a humbling idea of how God had 'everything planned out'. We are called Princes and Princesses in His Kindgom, we have a ROYAL command, and thats NOT the 10 'big no no's'. But its the few big 'yes yes's'.

I'm tired of people saying 'we need to keep the orginal sabbath'. Ugh, DUH the sabbath never changed, but if your gonna try to follow what the Apostles did, i'd like you to go HOUSE BY HOUSE and preach the gospel to people also, instead of 'picking and choosing' what you wanna follow.

The bible is clear 'that no day is great than another'. We all need to set aside ONE day to God, but sometimes we DONT need to...why? Because we Enter into Him, and we feel as if we've already been thru a entire day when it was only 1 hour of worship or something.

The law wasn't abolished, but FULFILLED. The ordances completly, and the 10 commandment also. We have 'a new commandment'. Love God, Love others, Witness/Discipleship/Baptizing, Visit those that are in need (homeless, widows, etc), holiness, Lord's supper, Receving His Spirit...etc. The list goes on.

The law, the entire LAW, was to show people 'you are a sinner' and back in Jesus' time they were watering down the commandments (10)Moses gave to the Jews, so Christ 'magnified' them. (Look upon a women, hate a brother in your heart..etc)

The purpose of the law is clear, to SHOW they are SINNERS. Read romans if you don't believe me.

That's my buck fifty (not 2 cents..lol)

I'm out..

2005/8/20 10:56

Re:

YeshuaIsMyG-d. :-)

Here I sit, listening to my Hebrew Praise CD, and smiling at "The Royal Law" that JESUS gave.

Good post brother and go with G-d.

8-)

2005/8/21 23:18
sscr01

Re: The Law

The same author wrote, "Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: yea, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Romans 3:31

Jesus fulfilled the law. If He, truly, abides in us and we in Him, are we going to worship other gods, lie, steal, commit adultery, commit murder? How foolish!

"For the commandment is a LAMP; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life...That, is what sanctification is all about. "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul..." Psalms 19:7a Not, in our own strength, but, by the power of His Spirit within us. That, is what the new birth is all about - now, we have His power within us!

"O how I love thy law! It is my meditation all the day." Psalms 119:97

At the end of the book, we read, "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed (church - "Ekklesia" - "called out ones"), which KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, and have the testimony of Jesus"(spirit of prophecy - Revelation 19:10).

He does not force us to obey His commandments, but, He does say, that, if we love Him, we will.

2005/9/4 23:03Profile

Re:

But, remember His commandments are 2 fold.

1. "Repent, baptised, receive the Holy Spirit, make disciples, baptise others, pray for others, encourage others, communion, prayer, meditation on the word..etc". (Just look at the commands of God that He gave to His disciples, He commanded alot)
2. God will write His law, on our heart. (Heb. 10:15-18, Jer. 31:33, Ps.40:8, 2 Cor. 3:3, Ez. 11:19 ,Ez. 36:26, Pro. 3:3, Pro. 7:3, Jer. 17:1) His law is a law of LOVE. If you go thru all those scriptures each are tied with one another.

Amen.

::Edit:: those scriptures were linked with one another thru Biblegateway.com , i do not take the credit of searching thru the Word and finding those. But thank God for each of us, that we can glean from one another 8-)

2005/9/4 23:51
sscr01

Re:

"And on the SEVENTH day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the SEVENTH day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the SEVENTH day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Genesis 2:2,3

At the end of the book it is written, "BLESSED ARE THEY THAT DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14.

"Let God be true and every man a liar." Romans 3:4

2005/10/5 18:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy