SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I visited a Quaker Meeting yesterday

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Ron

I'm well aware of the spectrum of beliefs that run through Quakerism. It's not any different than the erosion of truths from many Main Stream Denominations today. When compromise begins, there is no stopping it.

I will never be swayed into any other theology but Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I will not exclude those evangelical and Christ centered Friends because of the liberal universalist. I know what each teaches, I have my eyes open. I do so appreciate your caution however. First of all it shows you really care. Second, there may be others reading that think all Quakers are alike. That is no more true than to say that all Christians are alike.
Finally, I sure didn't intend on seeing a firestorm debate explode as it has. Just let it be if you dont' mind. If bubbaguy hangs around long enough the truth will either convict him or send him packing. I hope it convicts him.
God bless you all as you go on with Jesus.

In Him,

Lahry

2005/8/16 21:37
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The Bible is the foundation of Christianity; with the Holy Spirit at hand, we are still building the home.

What hope is there for the 'building' if the foundations are mostly missing? The concept is an interesting one. If an architect had provided the plans for the foundation and the builder says 'yes, I agree with some of this, but some I reject and other parts I will interpret to my own light' would you want to live in that building? Me neither.

Quote:
The Inner Light IS the Holy Spirit and presence of Christ in the here and now. It has nothing to do with one's personal thinking or position.

No, it is most definitely NOT the Holy Spirit and the presence of Christ. By this definition every man is already Christian.

2005/8/17 5:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Finally, I sure didn't intend on seeing a firestorm debate explode as it has. Just let it be if you dont' mind.

Lahry, it was because this is a public forum that I felt I ought to make my post. Don't feel bad about the 'firestorm'; you did not cause it. I have been contending with Mark/Jake/Bubbaguy for a long time now. His views, though expressed usually with courtesy, are not Christian and to be refuted. I bear him no ill will; it is always the ideas that I challenge. I have never accused him of malice or wrong motivation.

2005/8/17 5:21Profile

Re:

Thanks Ron, I agree.

Lahry

2005/8/17 7:17

Re:

Let me rephrase what I'm hearing: It's God contained in a box. The need for certainty about the entire Bible being literally true underpins your belief system, and it also hobbles it and places restrictions on God, as well as scientific discovery. Everything must fit into the box or it is untrue.

I don't think so.

Bubbaguy

2005/8/17 8:52

Re: Quaker meeting - re Bubba

Quote:
it also hobbles it and places restrictions on God, as well as scientific discovery

As one who studied science at school and worked in a paramedical profession, no way does my Biblical faith interfere with my receptance of scientific development or discovery, honestly presented. It would be crazy to separate God, who was curing leprosy (just one example) for generations before Jesus came and before we had 'medicine', from science. He set it all up. All we are doing is discovering His creation and systematising our knowledge of it. What we cannot alter, however, unlike the way we can revamp scientific theory, is His word, which WILL endure FOR EVER.

2005/8/17 9:22
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The need for certainty about the entire Bible being literally true underpins your belief system, and it also hobbles it and places restrictions on God, as well as scientific discovery.

Jake
I think you know that this is a 'straw man' of what I actually believe. The Bible contains narrative, poetry, parable, allegory, apocalyptic, instruction and other genres of writing. But I do believe the Bible is without error and that God has inspired every word. My position is essentially that of the [url=http://wikisource.org/wiki/Chicago_Statement_on_Biblical_Inerrancy#I._SUMMARY_STATEMENT]Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy[/url]
I. SUMMARY STATEMENT

1. God, who is Himself Truth and speaks truth only, has inspired Holy Scripture in order thereby to reveal Himself to lost mankind through Jesus Christ as Creator and Lord, Redeemer and Judge. Holy Scripture is God's witness to Himself.
2. Holy Scripture, being God's own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: It is to be believed, as God's instruction, in all that it affirms; obeyed, as God's command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God's pledge, in all that it promises.
3. The Holy Spirit, Scripture's divine Author, both authenticates it to us by His inward witness and opens our minds to understand its meaning.
4. Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God's acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God's saving grace in individual lives.
5. The authority of Scripture is inescapably impaired if this total divine inerrancy is in any way limited of disregarded, or made relative to a view of truth contrary to the Bible's own; and such lapses bring serious loss to both the individual and the Church.

2005/8/17 13:25Profile

Bro Lahry

I love you brother. Here's my thoughts on "worship-sharing". I too went to the Quaker site and was stunned at how lax they've become on issues of holiness, and the inerrancy of God's Holy Scripture, how lax they've become on sin issues.

so....I believe we shud take worship sharing unto our own, into the Full Gospel churches of Jesus, Let the Holy Spirit have full reign in the meetings of the saints.

we did it here ONCE, and it was a heaven sent meeting.....at the end of it, we were washing each other's feet...Praise God!!

2005/8/17 15:15

Jake Bubba guy

Please brother, listen to me...please...repent now in Jesus' Name. I understand your struggles, you know I do. But every Word in that Bible is without flaw.

please, for Jesus' sake, repent now, and stretch out before the Lord, and He will teach you everything........

didja ever notice that It always says: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart.....all your strength....all your soul"

but it never says with 'all your mind'

please....turn, I beg you, in the Name of Jesus.

2005/8/17 15:20
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Jake Bubba guy

Quote:
but it never says with 'all your mind'

Brother... I agree and hope that Bubbaguy gets the truth but I have to correct you..

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.

2005/8/17 16:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy