SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: When I look at a cd I ask where is it source!!

Where did it come from, How did it happen to be there? What is the source of the music , where is my money going?
Because what you reap is what you sow.
I also find that music produces an atmosphere it was amazing when I was playing some albums down the youth club to see the change in atmosphere when i was down there I stuck to only praise and worship music! it was amazing to see the kids not even fighting!!
I find it is the atmosphere produced by the music that is important!!
I we showed jesus are cd collection what do you think he would think would he say that one is good and that one is bad!! do we let jesus be part of are music collection or do we keep him in a hidden corner!!
I have played and used my worship cds as a witness to outsiders and I think it should be used as that!! I need jesus!!!
What do you think
Dom

2005/8/10 18:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Krispy,

This is a very touchy subject! I am not going to tell what style I enjoy the best but let me tell you a true story.

One day at the Crisies Pregnancy Center, where I worked as a volunteer counselor, I got inspired to ask my single church going clients "Why do you go to church?"

They thought, then said "I like the music."

"What is there about the musice that you like?" I asked.

They said, "It makes me feel good!"

Sir, these women were unrepentent fornicators! They knew their lifestyle was sinful but did not feel compelled to change.

Years ago when you had great revivalist preaching, they considered music essential in bringing people to the LORD is repentence and sorrow for sin. Contemporary music make people feel comfortable in their sins! Something is dreadfully wrong here. The testimony I shared was echoed by several persons, none differed.

Dan Lucarini wrote the thought provoking book on this subject: "Why I left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement."

ginnyrose

2005/8/10 19:36Profile
dohzman

Re:

I believe we all have different tastes in music. Sometimes that makes it difficult for me to warm up to some of the heavy metal christian stuff. Mainly praise and worship here. I guess what I understood about music early on was this. Music is going to feed something, flesh or spirit, it will either bring me closer to Christ or not. And so for me I judge music according to what I see as to the results for me. A little selfish I know, but I don't speak evil of other kinds of christian music either. In this area I pretty much keep my thoughts to myself as to kinds.
:-)

2005/8/10 19:54Profile

Re:

i will chime on this one (and most don't know me well) so if there are questions i will be happy to entertain some.

a) how come, when you read some hymns the words blow you away and then when you sing some song these days they don't
b) what's the point of admiring a song or music if indeed there's no depth of theology, and emotion in it
i have exteremely strong opinions on this subject and a lot of things that i have not hatched out with others... to compound matters worse, i feel that i am one in about 1million who feels this way, not to mention i sometimes feel and think i have lost touch with people in my age group. I AM SO so amazed that the hymns are thrown out because the music is not up-to date for our jaded apettites. oh,and i don't like some of the renditions that come out trying to modernize the hymns too. now, i agree with some if they say not even all hymns are that deep or spiritual. I want to tell you a true story of how really sensitive i am to this.
I heard a song one day on the radio-maybe about 3 years ago called "My Only Hope". back then, yeah i was a worship/pop whatever you call it christian music listener. just from listening the lyrics i loved it. (there are parts of the song i didn't like even with the song though, that's another story) anyways, i knew the song lyrics were too deep to have been written at this time. Mind you, i hadn't heard of the hymn ever before, neither have i ever heard of the guy Caedmon, the monk. so i went to research the song, and lo and behold, to the group's shame i think, they butchered the hymn to make it fit on a CD. that's fine with me. but, i share this story to tell you guys and gals, i don't know if there is anything with me, but i just now love hymns because the depth of the words mean so so much to me. oh my favorite ones, breath on me, I will praise my maker, rock of ages, oh and the most favorite that i stumbled recently upon "O THOU TO WHOM ALL SERARCHING SIGHT" and one more- O thou who camest from above

2005/8/10 22:36
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

music is for Gods ears, the way i see it, if you arent able to worship God, by listening to wholesome lyrics then its not the kind of stuff you want to be filling your head with, classical and instrumentals are different. it's like incense a pleasing aroma to God, music is or was originally intended to be a pleasing melody to Gods ears.

P.s. i absolutely adore the heavier metal bands, yes thats uncommon in a girl but bands like demon hunter, chevelle, (pillar dont scream but they challenge even the best of us christians) emery, ohh goodsness the list goes on and they have some awesome rifs, you're looking at bands that rival and succeed secular stuff with the secular people, then you know you have quality. becuase the music is something that has an absolute annointing on it and draws people in. POD are a classic example, so many people i knew were right into them then when word broke out that they were Christian so many of my secular friends were so shocked. but i still adore metallica, traitor i know! haha i'll leave it there...

ohh one last question, if anyone knows about it, is 'emo' a really ethical genre for a christian to be listening to?

2005/8/11 3:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
If not in the Bible, surely there is something in the Mishna prohibiting men from dressing like players in a rock opera about bumblebees.

Yea, I cringe when I see those old pics. But I wasnt a fan back when they were around. I wasnt saved. I knew of them, but considered them a joke. After being saved I gained an appreciation for them.

They look a little better now, wouldnt you say?

[img]c:\fritz family stuff\my pictures\promo-reborn3.jpg[/img]

Krispy

2005/8/11 6:57

Re:

Quote:
Contemporary music make people feel comfortable in their sins!

I like different forms of contemporary music, but y'all know how I feel about sin and lack of holiness. These women were probably not saved. And I do agree that a lot of contemporary music in the church is nothing more than slush.

I think we need to wisdom when listening to music. You'll get no argument from me about the lyrical content... if it's shallow, it's junk. If it's theologically wrong... it's junk. Some of Fanny Crosby's hymns are junk, in my opinion.

My observation has been that Christian metal is far more biblical in it's content than the top40 fluff on Christian radio. Many bands lyrics are available online... go and find out what the lyrics are saying. I get the impression that those who are against it (not necessarily meaning those on this thread) have never read any of the lyrics.

Krispy

2005/8/11 7:05
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Hi Krispy,

Have you watched/heard these two sermons by Keith Daniel:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4224]The Power of Prayer (Video)[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1865]Finished with the world (Audio)[/url]

If not, please take time and listen these two messages. This concern also the other readers of this thread.

Kire

2005/8/11 7:18Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Too many Christians are choosing churches based on personal musical tastes rather than seeking whether or not God is wanting to connect them to the ministry and seeing if the unadulterated Word of God is being proclaimed there. I am thankful to be connected to a ministry http://www.hopeforhurting.net/ that honors all styles of worship music. We sing contemporary, hymns, gospel, black gospel. The qualifying factor is ...does it exalt and glorify Jesus? This whole debate over styles of music is bringing division to the body of Christ. You even see in on banners outside of churches. Traditional worshop at 8:00, Contemporary worship at 10:00. This my brothers and sisters should not be.

Do you think there will be just one type of music in heaven? The God I serve is not that narrow. I can't say that a certain song or class of music is not of God because it does not personally stir my spirit. I recently read this little story in reference to a sermon but I think it can also be applied to music.

Presbyterian minister Fred Rogers, creator
and host of television's "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood,"
recently gave an address describing the time he
was a student at Pittsburgh Theological
Seminary and attended a different church
each Sunday in order to hear a variety of preachers.

One Sunday he was treated to "the most
poorly crafted sermon (he) had ever heard."
But when he turned to the friend who had
accompanied him, he found her in tears.

"It was exactly what I needed to hear," she
told Rogers.

"That's when I realized," he told his audience,
"that the space between someone doing the
best he or she can and someone in need is
holy ground. The Holy Spirit had transformed
that feeble sermon for her--and as it turned
out, for me too."

All my
HopeinChrist

2005/8/11 7:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
If not, please take time and listen these two messages. This concern also the other readers of this thread.

Actually I have listened to both of those... and I disagree with him on this point.

Krispy

2005/8/11 8:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy