SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Obviously most of us agree secular music is not healthy for a believer. This thread is to discuss what [b]styles[/b] of Christian music do people think is acceptable for believers. Christian music covers almost every style imaginable... is a particular style of music evil, even if it's called Christian?

Any thoughts?

Krispy

2005/8/10 10:21
AgapeLove81

Albany, GA

Re: What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

I love all kinds of music. Personally I listen to Mercy Me and music like that, but some of the music like Kutless is great but there is a fine line between them and groups like Korn. As my friend once said it is easy to go from hard christian rock to just hard rock. So no I wouldn't call any of the christian music evil, just boarder line over the edge.

2005/8/10 10:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Quote:
Christian music covers almost every style imaginable... is a particular style of music evil, even if it's called Christian?

Any thoughts?

One or two. ;-)

'Christian' (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1Pet. 4:16) is a descriptive term given originally to men and women were in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ - as disciple to master. How can anything, other than people, be 'Christian'?

I think we are really asking the question 'what kind of music is appropriate?'
but to what'?
and is some music definitely not 'appropriate'?

AgapeLove8
Yes, I like all kinds of music too, and the variety on my iPod might well surprise a few folks here on SI. ;-) I think a good question is 'what do I want this music to do?' and why?

2005/8/10 10:53Profile

Re:

It would surprise many here to know that I am a bit of a metal head. An old Marine buddy of mine in California just sent me a bunch of CD's with mp3's on them of some older (late 80's, early 90's) Christian metal music (all of it out of print, therefore legal for me to have these mp3's) and it's surprising how biblical the lyrics are compared to the standard slush served up by the CCM industry today. Very upfront and in your face...

Krispy

2005/8/10 11:17
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

No it doesn't surprise me that you a 'bit of a metal head' but what kind of music do you like? :-D

2005/8/10 15:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
but what kind of music do you like?

I prefer guitar driven blues... southern rock type stuff (Lynyrd Skynyrd/Allman Brothers style). Country and bluegrass I like too. I grew up on AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Dio... thus my taste for metal. However, when I was real young I used to see my grandfather play bluegrass with his friends I developed a love for that and country. I like jazz if I'm in the right mood, and classical as well.

Krispy

2005/8/10 15:32
dougkristen

Re:

Before I came to Christ in the mid 80's I was a dead head and also listend to some other similar music. I have a classical and jazz training background.

I used to listen to Stryper (TO HELL WIHT THE DEVIL) and Vengence a very heavy metal group that I loved. My roomate in college was saved through Stryper music. He is a prison chaplin today, still serving the Lord.

This is a touchy subject in some Christian circles. Bill Gothard is very strong against most contemporary Christian music that has a dominate 2/4 beat which is says is evil and from Satan. He would be against most Michael Card and even some Steve Green music because of the 2/4 beat and drums in the music.

We had a church split over this music issue, very sad...

In Christ,
Doug

2005/8/10 15:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
This is a touchy subject in some Christian circles. Bill Gothard is very strong against most contemporary Christian music that has a dominate 2/4 beat which is says is evil and from Satan. He would be against most Michael Card and even some Steve Green music because of the 2/4 beat and drums in the music.

I often wonder how people come to these conclusions. What is that based on? Certainly not scripture, since nothing is said about it.

THWTD was a great Stryper album. They have a brand new CD coming out on the 15th called Reborn. First Stryper CD in 15 years! I've heard 2 cuts from it... it's pretty hot. Thank God the stripes and make-up is gone LOL!

Krispy

2005/8/10 16:45
JohnnyAnt

Calhoun, Missouri

Re:

I think first a person should ask what all is music supposed to do? In my opinion music is supposed to be not only praise and worshipful to the Lord, but also strike an action or emotion. I like a lot of different kinds of music, because each different kind of music brings to a different place emotionally. Some music styles, like rock or metal get me pumped up about the Lord. While as blues may bring a person to brokenness before the Lord, or old Gospel bring a person to reverence for God.

To say that style of music is evil is out of line. Some groups motives may be mislead but that does not make the genre of music evil. Many people are moved in different ways. Many people react differently when touched by the Holy Spirit. Some dance, some run, some shout, some cry, some jump,.... the list goes on and on. It is not the action is the meaning. To me music is the same way... if the meaning is behind what is being said then the way it is expressed shouldnt matter. Obviously when saying this I mean Christian music and not secular music which may include profanity and other lingo not appropriate.

Just make sure the music has a sprititual meaning for you, that is what is important. If a certain kind of music brings you into secularism then that genre of music might not be appropriate for YOU, but it is based very much on the individual.

2005/8/10 17:33Profile
Compton

Re: "By their strypes we were amused!"

Quote:
First Stryper CD in 15 years!...Thank God the stripes and make-up is gone LOL!

:-P If not in the Bible, surely there is something in the Mishna prohibiting men from dressing like players in a rock opera about bumblebees. 8-)

[img align=left]http://www.new-mercies.org/cornerstone/stryper.gif[/img]

Just funnin' ;-)

2005/8/10 18:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy