Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Violence

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Violence

It is ever ok to use violence?

What if the person is trying to hurt your family?

When Jesus said in Mat 5:38-39 "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."

was that a call to complete and utter non-violence?

2005/8/10 7:35Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Violence

Dear brother Nash,

I agree with you on that account, that if someone is doing violence to you, especially as a witness of Jesus, we should not attempt to hurt them bodily.

However, if someone broke into my home, and was after my wife or daughter, they have put themselves in danger of bodily harm. I hope I never have to do this. I give my body to be burned, however, I won't give someone else the authority to rape or murder someone in my family or anyone else for that matter.

Matthew 24:43 "But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up."

Luke 22:36 "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Please notice the message to Peter after he used his sword to defend Christ:

Matthew 26:52 "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

Jesus doesn't need physical defending by man's device, but people do need defence.

Please read Romans 13:1-4:

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

2005/8/10 8:21Profile
Logic

Quote:
[b]Mat 5:38-39[/b] "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."

This is not talking about non-violence, or passivism.
I tell you if some one breaks into my house and threatens my family, I will shoot to kill.

This verse is talking about insults. When slapped on the right cheek is a specific act. The right cheek being slap indicates the person is being slapped with the back of the others’ right hand, which is an insult. For example, if someone takes their right hand glove off their right hand then slaps that person with that glove.

2005/8/10 12:02Profile
roadsign

Re: When Darkness Falls

There have been many dark times in the history of the Christian church when the scriptures about violence have been mishandled.

There is an excellent series of sermons on this site, The Meeting House in Toronto: [url=http://www.themeetinghouse.ca/sermons_search.php?doSearch=true]When Darkness Falls by Bruxy Cavey [/url] that deal with the concerns on this thread and address the scriptures mentioned.

It is well worth your time to listen to them.
Diane

2005/8/22 19:18Profile
rocklife

usa

Nasher, I suggest you keep studying Jesus, His Life, His Life purpose, and do what 1 John 2:6 says for God's people to do "Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did."

2005/8/22 22:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy