SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Words

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mr_Nath

The Words

I was trying to hunt down the words of Jesus and came across this website today, and I like the concept. [url=http://www.thewords.com/]The Words[/url]

I can't seem to find anything similar in the KJV though. Does anyone have or know of a document which just has the words of Jesus (red letter) in it. If it as in MP3 like the above link then that would be even better.

Thanks,

God Bless,

Nath.

I just didn't want to have to copy and paste out of e-sword, but I may have to.

2005/8/10 4:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Words

Mr Nath
This is not a rebuke! :-) but just an observation... there is an unseen danger in extracting the words of Jesus, either by means of red letters or mp3s. It is the unspoken assumption that the words of Jesus are 'better' 'more authoratitive' 'more important' 'more inspired'.. One of the interesting things about the gospels is that they insist that the 'words of Jesus' must be understood in context and so refuse to separate them out of the main narrative. In fact, in many places it is quite impossible (and irrelevant) to identify which are the words of Jesus and which are those of the narrator.

I sometimes say "I have seen those Bible which have the words of Jesus in red, but I prefer those Bibles which have the words of the Holy Spirit in black'. :-D

2005/8/10 4:48Profile

Re:

philologos... you're right on the money. I'm with ya 100% on this. I've seen products like what Nath is looking for, and I cant help but wonder if it's merely a new marketing ploy to sell something new to the sales demographic called "Christians".

Krispy

2005/8/10 5:38

Re: The Words

Quote:
cant help but wonder if it's merely a new marketing ploy to sell something new to the sales demographic called "Christians".

Ooh! Krispy, you skeptic ;-).

I'd also suggest it is a way to suggest to Christians they can forget all about those awkward verses which list sins in which they should not engage, and which give information about how Jesus actually conducted Himself.

2005/8/10 6:25
Mr_Nath

Re:

I totally agree with you all. The whole Bible is the inspired word of God, so I don't dare want to isolate anything as more 'holy', 'godly' etc.

I was just wanting to study the ministry of Jesus and how he spoke with people one on one when witnessing, and I thought if I could go through 'His Words' I could find all the relevant scriptures and hunt deeper into them.

As I seem to keep discovering, there are no short cuts with God!

Walking The Narrow Way,

Nath.

2005/8/10 18:40Profile
dohzman

Re:

I agree but disagree with everyone on this topic. I believe it is very important to periodocally review the words of Jesus as found in the red letter and not neglect the rest of the testament.I find that the practice of reviewing what Jesus spoke can be a source of great richness. I also think a cursory reading of the epistles of John several times a year is profitable for balance.Just my 2 scents worth.

2005/8/10 20:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I sometimes say "I have seen those Bible which have the words of Jesus in red, but I prefer those Bibles which have the words of the Holy Spirit in black'.

Actually I preferred this feature in the "rainbow" bible where all the words of GOD (the father) are bolded! it really shows how many times God Himself speaks authortively.

2005/8/10 21:43Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Quote:

I agree but disagree with everyone on this topic. I believe it is very important to periodocally review the words of Jesus as found in the red letter and not neglect the rest of the testament.I find that the practice of reviewing what Jesus spoke can be a source of great richness. I also think a cursory reading of the epistles of John several times a year is profitable for balance.Just my 2 scents worth."

I agree - good comment!

2005/8/10 22:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy