SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Need help to figure out

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Logic

Need help to figure out

This verse brings a question to my mind that I would like ya'lls opinion on, please.

[b]Jam 1:14,15[/b] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
[b]:15[/b] Then when lust hath conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringes forth death.

This says to me that you are tempted only when you are drawn away and is also a sin to be tempted. In reality, it is the giving into the temptation that is sin.

According to this verse, since Jesus was also tempted, He was drawn away of His own lust and enticed.

[b]Hebrews 4:15[/b] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; [b]but was in all points tempted like as we are,[/b] yet without sin.
[b]Mathew 4:1[/b] Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness [b]to be tempted of the devil.[/b]

I know that Jesus was never drawn away and He did not lust, for that is against His nature and the Law of God.

My only answer to this, for myself, is the punctuation, that it is wrong. It should read:
Now every man is tempted.(period) When he is drawn away of his own lust and enticed,(comma) Then lust has conceived;(semi-colon) it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

If it is put this way, it is not a sin just to be tempted. It simply states that every one is temptedand and your not always drawn away. When you are drawn away from the straight and Narrow path for that which you are lusting after(which is the giving into the temptation), that is when you are being enticed. When that lust has caught you: you are then breaking the Ten Commandments which is sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

"enticed" actually means in the Greek
1) to bait, catch by a bait
2) metaph. to beguile by attractions, allure, entice, deceive

"conceived" actually means in the Greek
1) to seize, take: one as prisoner
2) to conceive, of a woman
a) metaph. of lust whose impulses a man indulges
3) to seize for one's self
a) in a hostile sense, to make (one a permanent) prisoner
4) to take hold together with one, to assist, help, to succour

Please give me your mind on this.

2005/8/9 14:54Profile

Re: Need help to figure out

As an aside, I'm quite interested in the meaning of conceive - to take hold together with one, to assist, help, to succour.

James 1
12 Happy the man who doth endure temptation, because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of the life, which the Lord did promise to those loving Him.
13 Let no one say, being tempted--`From God I am tempted,' for God is not tempted of evil, and Himself doth tempt no one,
14 and each one is tempted, by his own desires being led away and enticed,
15 afterward the desire having conceived, doth give birth to sin, and the sin having been perfected, doth bring forth death.

YOUNG'S LITERAL

It seems to me that 'his own desires' are what do the enticing, not necessarily something outside the man.

This suggests these desires are from the flesh - the uncrucified flesh?

2005/8/9 15:06
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

I'm not a theologian, so this is just my opinion:

Verse 14 is temptation.

Verse 15 is sin.

I think the Scripture is saying that the "drawing away" is just the desire of the flesh, or the "enticing." Flesh will always desire it's own if you ask me. That's why the spirit has the ability to war after it, and bring it under control.

Like you said, and I agree, it is not sin until it is conceived, until it becomes part of us.

2005/8/10 1:02Profile
arbustum

Sydney Australia

i own a copy of the amplified bible which basically puts the context into the verses where other translations lack, but reading james 1:14-15 in this bible, i'm sure you can pick up what they really ment: it says:

14. But Every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed and baited by his own evil desire (lust, passions)
15. Then the evil desire, when it has conceived, gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully matured, brings forth death

so as you can see, 'when' you actually give your lust a chance it will overrun you but you still have that conscious choice to allow your lust or Christ to take over in the circumstance. but you can see in the next verse, verse 15 the concequence of 'choosing' your lust over Christ

p.s. how awesome and challenging is the book of james to your spirit! its a good book.

also, get yourself a copy of the amplified if you would like a more uh precise translation. i can't read king james, niv tends to leave me confused like that and the message doesnt have verse numbers, its all about finding a translation that you'll understand...

2005/8/10 2:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy