SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Finney revival in Rochester, NY... (where?)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Finney revival in Rochester, NY... (where?)

I am getting to fly into Rochester, NY on aug12th and driving back to Rochester on the 20th. There will be some time on the 20th to visit a few sights. I would love to find an plaque and church where finney preached in rochester. Amazing revival came to rochester, Ravenhill mentions seeing a plaque, etc. I would love to find 1 or 2 locations to visit and take some pictures and have a time of prayer. If anyone can help find any information and post it here that would be great! (ie physical locations)..

"The zenith of Finney's evangelistic career was reached at Rochester, New York, where he preached 98 sermons between September 10, 1830, and March 6, 1831. Shopkeepers closed their businesses, posting notices urging people to attend Finney's meetings. Reportedly, the population of the town increased by two-thirds during the revival, but crime dropped by two-thirds over the same period."

2005/8/8 20:13Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Finney revival in Rochester, NY... (where?)

"Did you know that Charles G. Finney, a great Revivalist minister, traveled the western NY area. His most successful series of meetings were in Rochester, NY. Crime fell to nearly zero. Jails were almost unnecessary and police had nothing to do. Today in his memory a local high school is named for him."

Charles G. Finney, "the man who made Rochester religious,"

"He is commemorated by a boulder and tablet on our Meigs Street corner as well as being pictured in stained glass windows in the chapel and church." would it be the stained glass windows of this church? http://www.thirdpresbyterian.org/

---

I am going to continue to look for more information on this... I would appreciate the help.

2005/8/8 20:25Profile

Re:

That's amazing.

2005/8/8 20:59
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The revival meetings happened in "1830" and went on for "Six months of Revival Services" in the city of Rochester, New York.

Here is a plaque:

but Ravenhill in his sermon "A Burning Heart" speak of another plaque. It would be interesting also to find the exact church finney preached in during those revivals if its still there.

"This plaque is on a stone on the property of the Third Presbyterian Church at the corner of East Avenue and Meigs Street. " - which is the church I refered to in the other post.

still digging... and sending some emails..

2005/8/8 21:07Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is the school in Rochester that was named after finney:

The Charles Finney School.
http://www.finneyschool.org/

"The arrival of Charles Gradison Finney in Rochester in October 1830 to become minister of Third Presbyterian Church marked a period of religious fervor. Church membership increased dramatically and capacity crowds attended Finney's revival meetings. Henry Stanton became a convert after listening to the charismatic revivalist speak. He became a close friend of Theodore Weld, Finney's protégé and co-worker."

"Revival is a new beginning of obedience to God"

still digging... :-P

2005/8/8 21:13Profile
dougkristen

Re: Rochester, NY

Greg,

I live in Rochester, NY. We have to meet when you are in town!!! Let's talk on the phone and find out when and where we can meet!

In Christ,
Doug Renz
585-227-5793
[email protected]

2005/8/8 22:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy