SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to stand out as a follower of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougkristen

How to stand out as a follower of Jesus

This morning I had an interesting experience and God showed me something about myself.

A very nice gentleman I work with at my company just told me that "God was big in his life"

and that he went to a "bible believeing" church and that he has been a born again Christian for many years. What came to my mind first was, How was it for almost 2 years I never knew he was a Christian and also that He didn't know that I was a Christian. I have met many people who I have known that didn't know that I was a Christian or vice versa... How can this be?

In the early church, people knew who were the "followers of Jesus" but today it's very hard to tell... why?

A also very sobering story was here in Rochester a very large Christian concert called Kingdom Bound that happens at Darien Lake Six Flags amusement park has the worst reputation of trash, stealing of property, immodesty and has given Christ a very bad name to those who are watching

How can this be?

For me I want to know how I can stand out as a Christian to others so that they know that I'm not "just a nice guy" but a follower of Jesus.

I have heard of this phrase, "Tell others about Christ, if necessary, use words.." I'm not sure where I have heard this, but I'm not sure if this is Biblical.

Let's talk about how we can stand out in the world as followers of Jesus.

a Jesus freak,
Doug Renz
[email protected]

2005/8/5 10:50Profile
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Re: How to stand out as a follower of Jesus

after reading your post, it made me think of romans 10:17. it says faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. i believe that people DO come to faith by the word of God. i also believe that we find out whether others are believers (or not) through hearing the word of God from US. it all begins with opening our mouth! the tongue is a powerful weapon isn't it?

i like to wear christian t-shirts too to stand out as a follower of Christ. i dare anyone to ask me about my shirt because i will gladly share with them who Jesus is and what he means to me!

2005/8/5 16:09Profile

Just my first thoughts. In the days of the early Church, would not there have been a dropping off in numbers of those who took gifts to present to the priests and to offer sacrifices for various things? Then, weren't they in trouble with the authorities for healing people and preaching? Didn't one have to be seriously committed to want to hang out with them? Or, to have been seriously delivered and wanting to follow Him?

That was major league dropping out of societal norms, whereas today, the standards of the sermon on the mount are notionally enshrined in legal systems and people who don't adhere to them are subject to prosecution. Don't all these things add up to a very large swing in favour of the appearance of Christianity as an outward form, which has been accepted in previous generations, such that today, it is so familiar, we are tired of its deadness and lack of demonstration of relationship with God? I'm trying to say, in the early Church, as one who had encountered Jesus, you were marked out by changes, which now we think are the mark of 'civilisation', rather than of Christianity.

2005/8/5 17:26
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

haha denim7 christian shirts are now found in k-mart! one whith a couple of psalm references on it and all sorts of awesome stuff written on it.

and dougkristen, i went to tafe a little while ago, i ended up being the only girl in my class, but because it was a pre-apprentiship course people thought it automatically gave them a license to swear, and act like pigs but people could see how i refused to swear, listened to authority and i kept my standards, there are friends that i have made through that course because words that came from my mouth made them feel like there was such a promise and hope over their lives.

others showed a disregard and it got out of hand. i slapped one guy in the face for calling me all sorts of names and making me out to be something used for nothing but a man's pleasure and so i knew that because i retaliated i couldnt call it persecution. many of my guy-friends were honestly telling me i should kick one of them where the sun doesnt shine for what they were saying and doing to me, im not repeating it here, but unless you're prepared to face the rejection when you travel against the current, i dont mean rebel, but by all means refuse to submit to authority when its in conflict with God. he'll vindicate that. but when the world is headed to the slaughter you're expected to turn and head for God regardless of teh sweeping tide around you, then jumping on to God's road, which sometimes lands you in the middle of the traffic of lost souls..., what im getting at is, you need to live it before you'll be recognised by it, there's a time and a place for everything, whats done in secret is for God but what's done in the open is for lost men.

i love it when i've found another christian, whether it was obvious or not, it usually means a potential brother/sister to love and challenge or a life waiting to really experience the full measure of God's restoring nature. such a thing really excites me. be glad you found another born again christian!

2005/8/8 3:33Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Dorcas wrote:

"the standards of the sermon on the mount are notionally enshrined in legal systems and people who don't adhere to them are subject to prosecution."

Where on the earth do you live??? I live in America and it is totally the opposite!!
In the eyes of people here, it is definatly not a blessing to be poor, meek, mourning, etc...
My family and I are certainly not rich and my daughter gets harrased at school for not having all the "in" stuff.
I think people have gotten the blessings and the woes mixed up and anytime you try to tell people what Jesus really said you get slammed!
Just a couple of weeks ago, I tried to tell my uncle that Jesus said we are not supposed to build up treasure here on earth- he told me Jesus said he could put his $ in real estate! and that somebody else was taking care of the lost and dying- he could tie up all his $ in real estate.
Lord- please have mercy on us- I personally know of many native missionaries that are not being sent out because of all the "christians" money and resources are tied up in real estate and the like.
no, it is definatly not seen as a blessing from the Lord to be poor, meek, mourning etc.. in the eyes of most Americans.
Whatever happened to Kingdom teaching? In the age of prosperity teaching and everybody wanting to out do the "Jones'" it is hard to get people to love the truth of our blessed Lord anymore. what a shame.
Let's look at Luke 6:24-26
What sorrows await you who are rich, for you have your only happiness now.
What sorrows await you who are satisfied and prosperous now, for a time of hunger is before you.
What sorrows await you who laugh carelessly, for your laughing will turn to mourning and sorrow.
What sorrows await you who are praised by the crowds, for their ancestors also praised false prophets."
How do the prosperity teachers make this fly??
I think by actually following the commands of Jesus will make us stand out as followers of Him.
Jn 14:23 "all those who love me will do what I say"

mary0418

2005/8/8 14:05Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I heard this story before:

Spurgeon once was heading down a road when he overheard two people talking in an alley, saying:

Person 1: "You're a Christian?"

Person 2: "Yes, I am."

Person 1: "Well I am a Christian too! And all this time we've been working in the same place, 14 years, and we never even knew it!"

Spurgeon stepped in and said,

Sprugeon: "Neither of you are Christians, you both need to repent."

This just came to mind. It's quite challenging, and I believe the message is that we need to be fires, lamps, for the Lord that all may see. Remember what Jesus said?
[i]"You are the light of the world. [u]I city on a hill cannot be hidden[/u], neither does someone light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Rather, he sets it on a lampstand and it gives light to the whole house. In the same way, let your light so shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."[/i]
Hope this helps.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/8/8 15:03Profile

Re: How can you stand out as a Christian?

Christisking,

You're absolutely right. I should have chosen my words much more carefully. I was trying to say that when the State undertakes certain duties, such as caring for the poorest or trade standards and there are laws against assault (etc) the Chritsian is not challenged to demonstrate these qualities, because they are 'the law'. Not for a moment to I think the State delivers what a Christian would, but, Christians may feel there is less for them to 'do' - which of course isn't true either. The matter of being available and listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit and following it, pushes those who are willing to be pushed, deeper and deeper into service. Here, it may be only a few know, or notice, but that doesn't matter. We are not being judged by the world's standards, we sincerely hope. As a brother on this website is always pointing out, we have an Audience of One. ;-)

2005/8/8 15:29
Deadtosin

Re:

Good afternoon brothers and sisters.

Do what Paul advised Timothy.

1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no man despise your youth; but be an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in purity."

Our words have to be backed up by our actions.
We have to be examples.
Obedience will identify you as a Chrsitian.

By their fruits you shall know them.

Titus 2:7-8 "In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: In doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8- sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is on the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you."

2005/8/8 18:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Doug,

Reading your post reminded of of somethig that happened 18 years ago.

At that point in time I was a tester for MS DHIA where we would go to dairy barns and collect data to be sent ot a lab for evaluation. For the most part it was a boring job and to make the time go fast, I would take an old Christianity Today magazine along to read. At this point in time we likely had an 8 year stash of them. Anyhow, as I was looking through it I can to a pic of a famous 'Christian' rock group. Something about their pic fascinated me: they looked so ungodly, so worldly. On impulse I asked a milk hand "do you think these people look like Christians?" He looked, shook his head no and asked "are they?" I told him they say they are. And he just kept shaking his head...later the owner came to the barn and I repeated the question. He asked me one in turn: "What are Christians supposed to look like?" I was taken back. Here was a upstanding
man in his church and community and asked this question. So I told him what they should not look like: sad, depressed, etc. Then he replied: "sounds like the church choir!"

The fascinating thing about this story is that the milk hand smoked a lot vs his employer who was a clean man, no filthy habits.

Personally, I think if we walk in the power of the Spirit, we will look and act like Christians. Others will notice it. We sell tomatoes retail and meet the public a lot. We can often tell who is a Christian and definately who is not. . Some radiate a brightness which is so outstanding. And they do not know it. This has also been the testimony of another person who is involved in retail sales.

This has been my opinion and experience.

ginnyrose

2005/8/8 19:37Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

John 13:35 - "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

That love is a two-sided coin. Here are some pointed questions Leonard Ravenhill asks:

"And there's no room for Him in the inn.
He got a bit older, there was no room in His family, His family turned on Him.
He went to the temple, no room in the temple, the temple turned on Him.
And when He died there was no room to bury Him, He died outside of the city."

"Well why in God's Name do you expect to be accepted everywhere? How is it that the world couldn't get on with the holiest Man that ever lived and can get on with you and me?"

"Are we compromised? Are we compromised?"

"Have we no spiritual stature?"

"Have we no righteousness that reflects on their corruption?"

I am often disbediant, don't misunderstand me. But if people don't even know you are a Christian, what kind of witness are you. I say this out of love: (remember, I'm putting this on myself, too) He hung battered on a cross for you, you could at least let people know, somehow, that you appreciate what He did by showing others your FAITH (What DID Jesus do?).

The next step is doing what Jesus would do (HOLINESS).

The next step is to tell people what Jesus is going to do -JUDGEMENT-

Acts 17:30-31 "God...now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead."

2005/8/8 21:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy