Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Talk About Controversy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AgapeLove81

Albany, GA

Talk About Controversy

Ok, I'm going to start by giving you a brief history of myself. I was brought up never being taught about spiritual gifts or demonic activity, and especially being taught that speaking in tongues was something that happened during Jesus' era and that it died out MANY yrs ago. So when I married my husband and he started taking my kids to a deliverence based tongue speaking church I was outraged.
After I got over the initial shock and anger, I opened my mind to the possiblity of tongues existing. Well, that was about 7 months ago. My pastor says he sees me speaking in tongues more then English (in my alone time). So what my problem is, is that I have not yet done it. I have had advice given to me like "you just have to step out on faith and do it" but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2005/8/4 14:21Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: Talk About Controversy

I have an issue too when it comes to tongues, I was prayed for many years ago to receive the Holy Spirit, and I did get a small prayer language (a few words that if I say too loudly I cannot hear the others so I end up mumbling them). Recently I was blessed to be next to my Brother who got filled a few days after conversion and he just went of on one, you know? about the same time the preacher was talking about people who had a 'prayer language' but that was not necessarily the Holy Spirit, just somethine they had picked up, or copied and, at worst, a fake. My dilema, did I have the Holy Spirit or not? Well that was early last year, this year I have been prayed for numerous times with ppl all around me being filled and I just felt nothing, some ppl told me the bit of tongues I had was good and with use they would increase, others told me they were not.
Of course I took it to God, and the weird thing is I have a peace about it though I have no clear answer. God has spoken to me (mostly to tell me off, lovingly) and with this encouragement I believe I have a 'measure' of the Spirit, He is a still small voice that is there when you listen and want direction, I often hear Him tell me 'do some praying now, don't go to bed yet'. I believe I am getting closer to God, I am making the effort to pray more, read and learn more, seek His face etc, I guess when He wants to He will give me what I think I need: a noticable filling of the Spirit complete with tongues, but even without, I will continue to seek His face and trust Him.
This has not answered your question I know, but don't get hung up on what others are upto, just trust and obey God, He is our all in all.

2005/8/4 17:51Profile
coops

Re: That important?

As far as some 'prayer language' goes, I was surprised to find it lost (for the most part) until Azusa street. Even in all those revivals, it wasnt a feature, in fact I haven't heard of one instance of it (thats not to say there isn't I just haven't heard of it).

Theres a thing called glossalalia. Its basically speaking jibberish, or nonsense. Many people would call tounges a form of this glossalalia. The problem is that glossalalia has been practiced throughout history, starting with the pagans in the time of Acts, as some sort of spiritual ritual, trances etc etc.

Just to confuse you (not really): I go to a very pentecostal church where speaking in tounges is encouraged. I have also heard of people tell amazing stories of languages, speaking in fluent french and portugeese.

I was prayed for twice and just came up with tounges. Frankly I don't understand if i made it up or if it was God. I went on with it because everyone in my church did. About a year ago I pulled back because I was so unsure of it.

Sometimes when I am in fervent prayer it just spills out, and its like it just bubbles out and over, it feels fine then, but its not a regular thing. I don't understand it and just figured that Christians can still connect with God without it, so I'm not gonna make it an issue.

Quote:
This has not answered your question I know, but don't get hung up on what others are upto, just trust and obey God, He is our all in all.

God bless :-)

2005/8/4 19:01Profile

Re:

I am of the mindset that tongues was an actual language, and not some angelic language or something along those lines. I reject the notion that people are to seek out their "prayer language", as I was taught to believe when I first came to the Lord.

Considering what I believe tongues was, has it died? Personally, I dont think it has, but I do not think it is as prevelant as some do. I think much of what goes on today, in my opinion, is gibberish. I was around it long enough. I can still to this day immitate it. I could walk into any Charismatic church and be accepted with open arms because of my ability to immitate it. It's not hard.

Anyway... I digress...

I have heard and read numerous account of missionaries coming across villages or tribes where they did not know the language, yet were miraculously able to speak to these people in their own language. This resembles what happened in Acts 2. I believe that this is what is active in the world today.

I know this sorta disagree with the last post... but thats ok. You can read that post, and read my post... but in the end, you need to let the Holy Spirit guide you into all truth. Opinions are fine, but the bottom line is the Word of God. And that's where you have the responsibility of getting into the Word and searching and praying. God will be faithful.

Actually, if you compare my post with the previous post, you will see that we do have some points that we agree on.

Krispy

2005/8/5 8:02
Manfred

Continental Europe

Re: Talk about contoversy - Tongues

Quote:
I am of the mindset that tongues was an actual language, and not some angelic language or something along those lines. I reject the notion that people are to seek out their "prayer language", as I was taught to believe when I first came to the Lord.

Krispy,

I agree with you. Tongues was the Spirit-given capacity to speak an unknown actual language, just like it says in Acts 2.

But, it is interesting to read that tongues was a sign-gift of grace, and Paul says that signs and miracles, were for the Jews, (1 Cor. 1:22); intersting...

Manfred

2005/8/5 8:09Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

I don't want to start a debate, just offer my two cents. i believe that both the GIFT of tongues as outlined in 1 Cor. 12-14 as well as the "glossria" (sorry i know that it is spelled wrong) are for today. i do understand that there are many abuses and that there is little discenment when they are used in some churches. Paul in Cor. is speaking of those abuses, he is not negating the gift of tongues as a pratice. In another portion of scripture he state that he that speaks in tongues speaks not to man but to God in mysteries--which is where "prayer language" --I belive---some into pratice. As far as spirit manifestations etc. pre-Azuza street, which if i remeber correctly, was around the earyl 1900's (please correct me if im wrong and realize that this post is written the way i speaks. with a soft answer and a quiet voice.)Check out the Cain Ridge Revival, hearleded as the 2nd Great Awakening as well as the revivals of Wesley and Whitfield in early America.

I DO NOT belive that tongues is essential to salvation,Please let me make that clear--THE BLOOD OF JESUS is what gives us access to the throne to recieve grace and mercy--nothing more and nothing less. (heb 9:22)Nor do i believe that it makes makes you a second class Chrsitain--'I have many frineds that do not pratice speaking in tongues and highly respect teachers that differ completley (shout out to Jonny Mac!) or has to be some wierd mystical experience(no foming at the mouth while your pitchin' poisonus sankes to each other).

I believe that the primary use of both the gift of TOngues and the sign of tongues is to glorify Jesus 1'st--as David said "Oh for a thousand tongues to praise your name!" When we run out of words, then tongues become a means of praise to our king.

Again, not seeking to be a hard nose on this issue nor am i seeking to stir contrversy, just submitting my answer, kind of "throwing my hat in the ring".

i second Steve's remarks, let the Holy Spirit guide. I can but offer my reasoning behind that which i believe. hope this does not confuse you any more.

2005/8/5 9:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
But, it is interesting to read that tongues was a sign-gift of grace, and Paul says that signs and miracles, were for the Jews, (1 Cor. 1:22); intersting...

The way I understand it, sign gifts were meant to show the legitimacy of the authority of the Apostles. Obviously others spoke in tongues too... but I have serious doubts that it was akin to what we see today.

Krispy

2005/8/5 9:42

Re:

Quote:
I DO NOT belive that tongues is essential to salvation,Please let me make that clear--THE BLOOD OF JESUS is what gives us access to the throne to recieve grace and mercy--nothing more and nothing less. (heb 9:22)Nor do i believe that it makes makes you a second class Chrsitain--'I have many frineds that do not pratice speaking in tongues and highly respect teachers that differ completley (shout out to Jonny Mac!) or has to be some wierd mystical experience(no foming at the mouth while your pitchin' poisonus sankes to each other).

Amen... nor is speaking in tongues that intial sign of being baptised by the Holy Spirit. Some believe that you can saved and not have the Holy Spirit. That's impossible.

Krispy

2005/8/5 9:47
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

Quite a few years back I was reading a booklet written by D L Moody that mentioned people singing in tongues. At the time it was interesting to note that the booklet was written before Azusa Street had happened.

In Luke chapter 11 the Word speaks of asking for more of the Holy Spirit. How much more of the Holy Spririt will he give to those that ask? This is an important question. Why should I or anyone else miss out on anything God would have me do just because we do not ask or have been instructed by people not to? If were asking in sincerity, can't the Lord sort it out with us? Do we really have to have peoples ok as to or not to seek more of God?

If the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians chapter 12 were to promote Jesus in Pauls day, and by the Word of God there is nothing that tells us not to seek the gifts today, why should we listen to people instead of God's voice on this issue. Whether we believe tongues are the evidence of the Holy Spirit or not we should continue seeking more of God and asking for these genuine gifts.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/8/5 12:52Profile
DrewIrwin

USA, CHINA, BURMA

Re: Talk About Controversy

My experience! I myself am a skeptic about allot of the tongues that are being spoken, especially by the people that are no different from the drunks down the street. I believe that tongues are real, but that they were laid upon an individual as a gift, not that they could speak it whenever they felt they could. But I kept the faith that God would place a language on my tongue. But I would never try to do it own my own strength.

Months later after asking for the gift. I woke up at 4 in the morning and I knew God wanted me to pray right then for my unsaved friends back home. I jumped out of my bed, and ran out onto the deck on the back of my dorm. God was crushing my spirit for my lost friends, I was balling, and shaking, and I knew that God was doing something in there lives right then even thought I was so far away from them. I started to pray so intensely that I was scaring myself, I was freaking my self out, I knew it was the power of the Holy Spirit. I prayed for about 2 hours, intensely and at about a 1hr and half threw, bam I was speaking I language so powerful, I was starting to get scared, but I knew God was moving! I WASNT EVEN THINKING ABOUT TONGUES AND IT HAPPENING. It was so powerful and so beautiful; it was nothing like I have ever heard. Now I am even more of a skeptic when I hear it spoken randomly. I have seen God use it now and I realize just how powerful tongues are. It scared me! I was more powerful than fire. More powerful than a stinking fire hose! I just knew that something amazing had just happened with my unsaved friends back home.

My best friend that would not talk to me for 5 months (because I told his parents about his heroin habit and he got sent immediately into full time rehab and lost his job, he hated me.) Called me about four hours after, apologizing to me and saying He needs to get back on track with Jesus!

So I wouldn’t focus on gifts, but I would definitely ask for all of them. Keep your eyes on Jesus Christ and He will use you to move mountains!

2005/8/5 17:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy