SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did God give us our conscience or did we steal it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Can we all agree that our heart could be our conscience?

These terms are much more difficult to put into little boxes that many imagine. Do you believe that we are given a new heart in regeneration? Does that mean we have been given a 'new conscience'? Can a 'new conscience' then become defiled and seared? Then what? would we need to be born-again again?

2005/8/4 10:39Profile
todd

California

Re:

The following is my opinion, though I may state as fact for convenience sake. These are some observations and conclusions I've come to while focusing on these things in recent months.

This is a deep topic it seems. I think it's important to first establish a common ground on what we believe about humans.

I think most here believe that humans, like God, are tri-part. We are body, soul, and spirit. And then I think that most here believe that our souls are mainly tri-part. That the soul is primarily made up of the mind, will, and emotions (I believe those are the classic distinctions).

I think it's better to think of the soul as composed primarily of thinking process, will, and instincts. Since these 3 parts of the soul are always influencing each other, they can not be separarted, but they can be distinguished (like God, I suppose). When we use the word "mind," we are referring primarily to the thinking process part of the soul. When we use the word "heart," we are referring primarily to the instincts part of the soul.

I have heard some teach that the conscience is synonymous with the (human) spirit. But I am not convinced of this. I have recently come to believe that the conscience is like a link or bridge between the soul and the spirit, and it is most closely related to the heart (instincts). That is, the part of the soul that the conscience is most directly related (or possibly "connceted") to is the heart. So far, these concepts have seemed to hold up biblically. But I haven't held them very long yet. We'll see.

I have also come to firmly believe that our conscience is not God. In fact, I don't even believe that our conscience is the same thing as God's voice. I do, however, believe that God uses our conscience to communicate with us, so perhaps in an indirect sense one might consider it like His voice. But it seems clear that they are not synonymous, and that obeying our conscience is not necessarily the same as obeying God. But we do need to keep our conscience clean, so they may often go together.

2005/8/4 12:55Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
Do you believe that we are given a new heart in regeneration? Does that mean we have been given a 'new conscience'?

I might think so. Remember that when we were not Christian, our desires were our own and were selfish and worldy with the world's values. When I became saved, my desires turned from the world's and my own desires to God’s.
Before I was saved I never desired to do anything with God, but now my desires are only with Him and for His glory.
Philippians 2:13 “For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him.”
God puts His values and HIS desires to into ours hearts. HE wants our life and our actions to reflect or be replaced by His.
Before we are save our minds (hearts, conscience) are reprobate.
Romans 1:28 “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting.”
But, when we become saved we receive the mind of Christ.
1Corinth. 2:16 "For who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ."

Quote:
Can a 'new conscience' then become defiled and seared?

Well, Yes. 1Timothy 4:1,2 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their [u][b]conscience seared[/b][/u] with a hot iron;

Quote:
Then what? would we need to be born-again again?

Yes, What do you think [u][b]some shall depart from the faith,[/b][/u] means?

2005/8/4 12:57Profile

Re:

Hi Logic,
Good to see you up and about today. :-)

I am glad you have joined SI, in case you hadn't picked up on that, since my First post to you, on the other thread.

Anyhow, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest here, on the topic of "reprobates", but, there is a difference between just "unsaved", or just "backslidden" and then "reprobate".
Three different spiritual states.

The first two 'can' repent.
The differentiation with 'being given over', and by GOD no less, in which being 'reprobate' is ... makes repentence impossible.

:cry:

There are reprobates in the Church ... and that is the scariest scenario of them all, because they usually spout off a lot of Scripture or other spiritual manifestations.

Now 'that' is the "[u]mystery[/u] of iniquity".

Those 'religious' spirits, that claim to be "doing God a Service" (that wind up killing us, b/o it), are Reprobates, and the 'mystery of iniquity' (the spirit of antiChrist), are a type, that in very most cases, are 'religious' in nature.

That is why it is called "Mystery".

It's not your average 'sinner'.

These are the creepy things, that will and are manifesting increasingly, as we enter the Last days.

They are 'crafty', in so much that, "If it were possible, even the Elect will be deceived."

If they were not 'religious' in nature, the Elect or 'Christians', could see the deceit or counterfeit spirits in them, all the more easily.
But because they are Reprobate, and by 'God's' giving them over, then they are all the more plugged into Satan then you're average unregenerated, or unsaved person ... because, you're average sinner, still has a chance to be saved/repent.

When God gives one over to reprobation, they are "cut off - totally rejected", because the Lord knows (only He does), that these people never will, nor want to repent. They had rather serve the creature (one being Satan), than The Creator.

I didn't want to bring this up, because a lot of young in Christ folks, get this fear that they are 'reprobate', just because their walk is not Strong yet.

Only God, and occasionally the gift of discerning of spirits, or other revelation from God, can and will, show the Elect when they are dealing with a reprobate.

A reprobate loses all fear of Hell. And the Mystery of Iniquity, is where they feel they can defeat Hell. Some get to where they even "want" to go there. (Just as Satan)

It's a 'deep' delusion. Or "strong delusion".
One that God has "given them over to".

Not the sin or the state of your average sinner.

Welcome to SI Logic, and pray it is mutually beneficial for you too.

God be with us...In HIS Love.

Annie

2005/8/4 14:29
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

There are two verses which interest me here...1Cor. 8:7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1Cor. 8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; They're interesting because, without trying to set it all in concrete, Paul seems to link 'knowledge' with 'conscience'. Conscience might almost be described as 'the knowledge within every man'. He makes it personal in the first reference my speaking of 'in every man' but apparently 'knowledge/conscience' is not the same in 'every man'.

The word for 'conscience' is 'suneidEsis' which is made up of
[b]sun[/b] - as our syn-thesis, syn-chronise meaning 'together' and is the prefix we get in a little flurry of words in Ephesians; co-crucified, co-raised, co-seated.
[b]eidO[/b] is one of Greek's words for 'know' and really means 'to see' in the sense of perceiving something. I don't want to create a definition of 'conscience' from this but I would suggest that the 'conscience' is a faculty of the mind which enables comparison or 'seeing things together'. It enables us to put one action alongside another action and 'to see' that they are of unequal length, morally.

The highest 'morality' that we have known becomes the measure and we compare our action (or intended action) with that 'highest standard'. Even here we 'fall short' of what we 'see' to be the 'higher' standard. However the Jewish people had this 'inward measure of the highest morality' strengthened and increased by revelation. God revealed His truth to them, and their consciences now became 'honour bound' to compare any action or intended action against the 'highest that they knew'.

In this the Romans references to 'conscience' are very helpful. Romans 2 does not compare those without conscience to those with conscience, but those without the revelation of the Law to those with that revelation. Rom. 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,
Rom. 2:18 And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; The Jew had no excuse for an 'untaught' conscience; he had received revelation. That 'revelation' immediately added to the 'highest' that he knew and became his standard. Failure to choose the 'highest' known to his conscience was 'transgression'.

The Gentile, however, did not have the Sinai Law in its form of words, but he did have the 'work' of the Law written in his heart and consequently was 'a law unto' himself. Rom. 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom. 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) As with the Jew the 'organ' of comparison/measurement was the conscience. However the 'knowledge' in the Gentile was not the same as the 'knowledge' in the Jew. We see an illustration of this in the Acts. To the Jew, with his specific Sinai revelation, idolatry was 'transgression', but to the Gentile God calls it 'ignorance' Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men From the moment of this revelation the Gentiles continuation in idolatry would not be 'ignorance' but 'transgression'. There consciences were now 'educated'; there was 'in them that knowledge'.

Sometimes a conscience can have received a bad 'education' so that he 'knows' duff information. Even if the information is inaccurate it will inform his conscience if he believes it, and he will be conscience-smitten if he goes against it. To develop a practice of going against the counsel of the conscience will 'confuse' this 'organ of comparision' and leave it feeling defiled even if the counsel was inaccurate. eg I am driving at 70 mph in an area I 'know' to have a limit of 40 mph. This will defile and dull my conscience, even if I later discover that the speed limit on this stretch of road was actually 70 mph all along. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. This 'knowing' is our word 'eideO', perceiving. To go against what my conscience 'perceives' is sin. (wow!)

I will pause to give folks an opportunity to reply...

2005/8/4 14:41Profile
Logic

reprobates

Quote:
Anyhow, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest here, on the topic of "reprobates",

Might be a good new thread.

Quote:
When God gives one over to reprobation, they are "cut off - totally rejected", because the Lord knows (only He does), that these people never will, nor want to repent.

Sound like you are saying that "reprobates" are the ones who committed the unpardenable sin.
where do you conect them two in Scripture and how do you come to this conclusion?

Go ahead and start a new thread if you want, since this is off the subject.

2005/8/4 15:17Profile

Re: reprobates

Hi Logic - I got off the computer, to go do housework, but then felt I needed to come back on, because something got on my heart, that I wanted to post as a thread ... but came to see your post first.

If you don't mind, I'd rather not start a thread on this topic, because from my experience, it can scare the heck out of young folks, as I said before. I've seen it happen enough to be careful with this discussion.

But just to give the few places this word is used and how ... And then below, give 'assurance' to any here about "deception" and 'how to handle it' and 'not to fear'.

I love His Words better than mine, so please accuse the amount of His Word on here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reprobate is only used 4 times in the Bible. Once in the O.T. and 3 in the New.

Greek #96 adokimos
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384; unapproved, that is, [u]rejected[/u]; by implication worthless (literally or morally): - [u]castaway, rejected[/u], reprobate.

Hebrew 3988 maw-as'
A primitive root; [u]to spurn; also (intransitively) to disappear: - abhor, cast away[/u] (off), contemn, despise, disdain, (become) loathe (-some), melt away, refuse, reject, reprobate, X utterly, vile person. [u]Used in Jer. 6:26-30[/u]

The 3 times used in the N.T.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind ................ Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

2Ti 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
2Ti 3:9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

If you have an e-sword or something, do a study on 'reprobate' and see where it says, as in "Rom.10:1" etc. "That Paul would have Not Prayed for Israel, if they were "reprobate". (Quote from just one Commentator-Word Study).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Those Deceitful ....[/b]

Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

[b]Angels of light[/b]

2Co 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works

[b]Damnable Heresies[/b]

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Pe 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

[b]We should examine ourselves[/b]

1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1Co 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1Co 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1Co 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
1Co 11:33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
1Co 11:34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come

[b]Also...[/b]

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2Co 13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobate

[b]Last days - departing from the faith.[/b]

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth

[b]Command them not to teach false doctrine.[/b]

1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
1Ti 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
1Ti 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
1Ti 1:6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
1Ti 1:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

[b]Unable to endure sound doctrine.[/b]

2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2Ti 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

[b]Antichrist with all deceivableness[/b]

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
2Th 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
2Th 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

[b]The unlearned and unstable.[/b]

2Pe 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other Scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.

[b]Many false christs.[/b]

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Mat 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be

[b]Many shall say LORD, LORD on that Day.[/b]

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Mat 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

[b]Because straight is the gate.....[/b]

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

[b]Many shall come in my name.[/b]

, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

[b]Wolves in sheeps clothing[/b]

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

[b]Because iniquity shall abound....[/b]

Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

[b]Satan blinds.[/b]

2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

[b]There will be a great falling away,
plus a strong delusion.[/b]

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
2Th 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
2Th 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie

"Strong" here means "effectual". When The Lord does something "effectual", (so in turn they accept the antiChrist), then that is permenant.
And the reason "why" He gives them over to this, is because they did not Agape Love (Unconditional, GOD'S type Love) The Truth.

[b]My sheep will not be deceived.[/b]

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
Joh 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
Joh 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
Joh 10:6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Joh 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
Joh 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Joh 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Joh 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
Joh 10:12 But he that is a hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
Joh 10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is a hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

[b]Those that are His, will not be deceived.[/b]

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

[b]This is the condemnation.[/b]

Joh 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Joh 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

[b]A condition for belief[/b]

Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. ([u]This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.[/u] (Joh 15:12)

[b]Holy Spirit will lead into all truth.[/b]

Joh 16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
Joh 16:2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
Joh 16:3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
Joh 16:4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.
Joh 16:5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
Joh 16:6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
Joh 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.
Joh 16:16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.

[b]Our weapons of warfare.[/b]

2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[u]LOVE God - His Truth - Others ...[/u]

(Jam 2:8-9)If ye fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. (Eph 3:19)

Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. (Rom 13:10)

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. (1Jo 4:17)

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2Ti 1:7)

2005/8/4 16:46
arbustum

Sydney Australia

re:

philologos, sorry i spoke too quickly. i am sorry and i totally acklowledge that i was wrong to speak out like that. i lent too much on my own understanding and stepped out of line.

and grannyannie... wow...

2005/8/5 20:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Logic
RonB wrote:

Quote:

Do you believe that we are given a new heart in regeneration? Does that mean we have been given a 'new conscience'?

Logic wrote:
Quote:
I might think so. Remember that when we were not Christian, our desires were our own and were selfish and worldy with the world's values. When I became saved, my desires turned from the world's and my own desires to God’s.

I asked my question to probe into the idea of whether or not our conscience is completely renewed in regeneration, or does the process start in regeneration? I note what you say above but I am not talking about 'desires' but conscience. I came across an interesting comment on the conscience today from the writings of F B Meyer; the conscience... is a soul conscious of itself, and passing judgement upon its own states and actions. It is the judgement seat of Christ set up in our nature. It is the Great White Throne in miniature
Jottings and Hints: F B Meyer If Meyer is right, and I am not saying that I think he is, the conscience almost seems to be a place rather than a thing. Or an event rather than a thing. Does our conscience begin again brand new at the point of our regeneration or does is undergo a fundamental overhaul?

RonB wrote
Quote:
Then what? would we need to be born-again again?

Logic wrote
Quote:
Yes, What do you think some shall depart from the faith, means?

I didn't really expect you to answer like this. I am probing again and really asking the question 'how many times would we expect regeneration to have to take place if our conscience became 'unreliable' again. I think 'departing from the faith' is referring to apostacy rather than to a failure in the conscience.

Here's another interesting feature about the conscience...2Cor. 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. This is an important passage because it shows that when Paul preached he was thinking about the conscience. He knew that somehow a person's conscience had to be involved in the matter of conversion. It would never force another man's conscience but would only progress as the man's conscience could keep pace with what he was hearing. This truth now becomes very important for our evangelism.

I find it intriguing that Paul respected another man's conscience and never rode rough-shod over it. He did not try to force his own opinion on another; neither did he use any 'tricks' to get his message across. This expression of Paul regarding preaching has long arrested my thoughts; 'the manifestation of the truth' which somehow impacted upon a man's conscience.

2005/8/6 16:34Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
philologos, sorry i spoke too quickly. i am sorry and i totally acklowledge that i was wrong to speak out like that. i lent too much on my own understanding and stepped out of line.

That's OK. We are all learning here.

2005/8/6 16:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy