SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : William P. Nicholson - Prayer Makes History (article)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 William P. Nicholson - Prayer Makes History (article)

[img align=left]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/billynicholson.jpg[/img]
[b]Prayer Makes History[/b]
[i]by David Smithers[/i]

True passionate preaching is the flower and fruit of passionate praying. The fiery preaching that transforms the Church and the market place is first kindled in the secret place. This truth is powerfully illustrated through the life of W. P. Nicholson. In the early 1920's, Northern Ireland passed through a period of great strife and bloodshed. These were times of great despair and apprehension. Fear gripped the heart of many and even spread to the churches and religious community. "In the mercy of God, an intervention came from an unexpected source. There began a series of evangelistic campaigns, which in the course of the following years had a profound effect upon the religious and communal life of the Province." The evangelist used of God during these meetings was W. P. Nicholson. He was a fearless individual, peculiar to some and offensive to others. Nicholson didn't care what others thought of his manner of speech or methods. He had been taught by God Himself in the secret place and as a result was quite unique in his preaching and dealings with men. To be all-out for the Kingdom of God and it's interests was his passion. Burning zeal was the chief characteristic of Nicholson's whole life and ministry.

"Nicholson used to say that when a mission was begun it was not long before they had either a riot or revival. Sometimes we had more riot than revival, but never a revival without a riot." Nicholson wielded the Sword of the Spirit with a fury. His hearers were always affected one way or another. Some through his preaching were brought to humble repentance, while others resisted God's Word with indignation. Two favorite themes of Nicholson were "God's love" and "God's hell." W. P. Nicholson always preached the love of God with all the warmth and tenderness he could muster; but for those who rejected this Good News, he offered the only alternative, GOD'S HELL. He preached on every aspect of hell with such zeal and passion that his hearers claimed to be able to almost smell the burning sulphur. Still others, under deep conviction and anxiety, dripped with sweat and unconsciously shredded the hymn books they held in their laps. Through this kind of fervent preaching, God brought entire communities face to face with the question, "What shall I do with Jesus?" One elderly man who had recollections of the Ulster Revival of 1859 said that some of the effects of Nicholson's meetings even exceeded what happened in '59. Another commentator on Nicholson's work said that he had seen nothing like it since the days of D. L. Moody.

Apart from prayer such revival power is unattainable. Mr. Nicholson was always a man of deep prayer. "Prayer might be called his habit, for he loved to pray. His campaigns had nights and half nights of prayer. Praying in the Spirit kept him in the spirit of prayer. From the prayer closet he mounted the pulpit - endued." Mr. Lindsay Glegg wrote of W. P. Nicholson, "The secret of his power was no doubt in his prayer life. He stayed at our home . . . and he was up in the morning at six o'clock but he never appeared until twelve noon; he spent the hours wrestling with God in prayer. By his own special request he was not disturbed by telephone or visitor, however urgent." On another occasion the sheets of his bed were found to be torn to shreds. Mr. Glegg again commented; "What had happened was that he unconsciously, agonizing in prayer had ripped the sheets into strips . . ." Yes prayer was surely the secret of his powerful life and ministry.

Perhaps the sweetest fruit of Nicholson's prayer life was the deep familiarity that was produced between himself and the person of Christ. In Nicholson's book, On Towards the Goal, he writes, "I do not know anyone in the world that I know better than the Lord. I do not know my wife or my mother the way I know the Lord. I do not know the best friends I ever had the way I know the Lord. We walk together, my Lord and I, because we are in fellowship, and there is nothing that I have but is His." Truly this is the essence and heart of revival, an intimate visitation and fellowship with Jesus Christ. Lord, will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice and delight in You? (Psa. 85:6).

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3033]Click here to hear W. P. Nicholson on Prayer!!![/url]

2003/10/29 1:22Profile
Christian

Washington DC

Re: Christians are devoiced from God!

I just listened to W. P. Nicholson on Prayer, great, absolutely great! O that God would rise up men like Nicholson who have the authority to tell the truth. This authority can only come from a true prayer life, a true intimacy with Jesus.

“Prayer might be called his habit, for he loved to pray. His campaigns had nights and half nights of prayer. Praying in the Spirit kept him in the spirit of prayer. From the prayer closet he mounted the pulpit - endued." Nicholson

I have been crying out to the Christian that our relationship with God is broken because we love our sin. Nicholson says it even better; that Christians are devoiced from God. You still have eternal life but because you have other lover God has devoiced the Christian. He will not hear your prayer. If only Christian would understand the seriousness of the sin they are committing against God and how the relationship is broken. We must ask ourselves do we see Jesus or is it only an intellectual understanding of Christ. O lord pour thy waters on the thirsty and floods upon the dry ground. REVIVAL! REVIVAL! Amen.

2003/10/29 12:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: William P. Nicholson - Prayer Makes History (article)

Quote:
"I do not know anyone in the world that I know better than the Lord. I do not know my wife or my mother the way I know the Lord. I do not know the best friends I ever had the way I know the Lord. We walk together, my Lord and I, because we are in fellowship, and there is nothing that I have but is His."

Powerful!

2003/10/29 21:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I just listened to W. P. Nicholson on Prayer, great, absolutely great! O that God would rise up men like Nicholson who have the authority to tell the truth. [b]This authority can only come from a true prayer life, a true intimacy with Jesus.[/b]

Yes Nicholson was an awesome man of prayer but this authority in prayer can with an intimacy with Jesus Christ that dwarfs many Christians experience of Christ these days. As Glyn Owen once told me: "there is a place in God where you can ask anything and it will be given, this is not stealing from God, like Jacob who wouldn't release till he recieved the blessing. Are our desires God's desires? if they are then Psalm 37:4 is fulfilled.

Quote:
Nicholson says it even better; that Christians are devoiced from God. [b]He will not hear your prayer.[/b] If only Christian would understand the seriousness of the sin they are committing against God and how the relationship is broken.

If your heart is not right with God, sometimes he will [b]not[/b] hear your prayers. We can't go on living lukewarm, half-hearted Christian lifes with one foot in the world and expect to recieve the full benefit and blessing of following God. I recommend anyone to listen to: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3032]Hindrances to Holiness by William P. Nicholson[/url]! prepare to give all to the Lord!! :-D

2003/10/30 11:04Profile
Christian

Washington DC

BILLY Nicholson a friend of Tozer

I was very impressed with Willam Nicholson, but couldn't recall his name. I asked my father if he every heard of William Nicholson. He said yes, Billy Nicholson. Then I recalled what Tozer said about Billy. Yes the friend of A.W.Tozer. Tozer was talking about the affects of revival and how they would clean up towns. Tozer said "once Billy was marching in a parade and saw a large tummy saloon keeper with his arms crossed standing out side his saloon. Billy couldn't take it so he ran over to the saloon keeper and said what a splash you'll make when you land into hell. That kind of fearless talk closed up saloon and cleaned up towns."

I have read most of Tozer's books and have listened to him for years. It has really given me the strength to stand for my convictions. Listening to Ravenhill, Campbell, and Bill Nicholson have been a real comfort as I stand in opposition to the world and the corrupt church. It's good to hear these men, though being dead yet they live. And the same Holy Spirit that inspirer them still speaks through their words and their meaner to my heart.

2003/10/31 8:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy