SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prayer Burden

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
coops

Prayer Burden

Ive just listened to another sermon by ravenhill and his emphasis on prayer is so challenging...

Im also reading "Revival Fire" by Wesley Duewel, which just goes through history and tells stories of revival. At the moment its about the Prayer revival from 1857-1859.

Theres alot of talk about "prayer burdens" to be honest I don't really know much about prevailing prayer or prayer burdens or anything that is linked to revival.

I don't know how to pray like that. I don't know about the "spirit of intercession" etc. I did notice though, that a fire can be ingnited from hearing someone else pray...

Are there any downloads of prayer warriors (eg ravenhill) who are simply praying? Ive got a hold of the prayer meeting ones, but i mean stuff that happens after he praches.

Or if theres another way i can learn more, please help... I want to have prevailing prayer...

2005/8/2 22:37Profile

Re: Prayer Burden

Wow coops,

What you said in your post "was" a prayer.

The other guys could lead you to Authors that may say what you're looking for ...

But I felt your heart in this, and MUCH more importantly ... God has and sees your heart.

I think if you just start, by yourself, to just talk to Him, just like what you've said here ... you're bound to be a prayer warrior.

God puts those Desires in your heart ... so that means HE intends to bring it about.

Romans 8 says ~ Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

And you said from your heart... "I want to have prevailing prayer... "

May I confess, that though I've read the classics all of my saved life, I didn't read or want to read any on prayer.

How come ?
Because I trust the Holy Spirit to pray through me. He does a Much better job than I do.
I didn't want a "method", or someone else's way ... because, just like a Father, with many children, He knows each one, by their voice and Individuality.

And a nutter' thing, I think we formalize our communications far or way too much, by using that word "prayer" sometimes.

I talk to Him as I would My Father, but yet, knowing full well and with the reverence deserved, that He is also King of Kings, The Great I AM, etc .... but yet, He's still my Father.

I think it would be strange, if children had to read a book on how to talk to their dad's.

I mean no harm at all, to those type books, because I'm sure they've blessed many .... it's just my personal preference, that's all.

He Loves you coops.
And I enjoyed reading your post and what's in your heart very-very much.

You are desiring The Good Things !
:-)

God Bless you Bountifully.
In His Love.

2005/8/2 22:57
coops

Re: Prayer burden

Hey

Thanks for the encouragement... and for the reminder too. I wanted to find books on "how to pray for revival" etc and go through them... but i felt the Lord say that they might be good to teach and challenge, but not to learn. I can learn [i]about[/i] it there, but I can only learn prevailing prayer on my knees.

The best person to disciple me is the Holy Spirit, but I feel a lack of human discipleship. I know its a need that set out biblically, but I dont know one person in my life (and I was a missionary kid) who has a prayer burden and a passion for prevailing prayer.

I guess what I was after was to hear someone like ravenhill pray, and catch a bit of that passion and desire, to hear someone who is so burdened for souls and see what it should be like. Looking at the history of revivals, it shows that they can just catch on like wildfire between people, usually when they hear them pray...

So I have this balance to mainain, my inspiration being the Holy Spirit, not man, my motivation being Him, not reputation, my teacher being Him, not man, my prayers being from Him and to Him, not man. But at the same time He uses man, if I hadn't heard some of these sermons I would still be lost in my sinful life, with no desire to pray whatsoever...

...and now I want to have prevailing prayer, but it's such a battle. I feel when I pray a sudden attack of thoughts, it takes so much energy to sift through and find the truth. As soon as I enter into the spiritual, I feel a fog of war. I only last about 10 mintues (on most occasions) before my mind becomes numb and I begin to get sleepy (no matter the time). This isn't wrestling with God, this is wrestling with princes of the air, and all I want is to connect with God. What is wrestling with God? Im usually numb after 10 mins, how on earth do these people stay up all night petitioning God? I want to learn...

2005/8/2 23:24Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

Re: Prayer Burden

Coops, you spoke also my heart burdens to pray as i never prayed before, I have heard that prayer is "caught not taught" know that the desires of your heart is not concedental, he gave you the desire to seek after intercessory prayer. this kind of praying is done by a contrite spirit like jerimiah, and job and moses who when prayed prayed standing in the gap as thou a yoke placed upon them to pray as thou they had no choice but to pray.....for me as i have had these burdens placed upon me my cry is Lord that i would know your heart, let me share what you feel for the lost that i may pray boldly as i outght too pray.....are you willing to be a reproach to men and christians too with such a cry thrust upon your own heart? a living sacrafice given to prayer?I too would love to hear men on fire pray, but it is thru the holy spirit that such prevailing prayer with power and anointing comes thru, so it would be wise to ask the father to allow the holy spirit to use you for prayer to be a voice crying in the wilderness.....for the lost needy dying world. in his service
Michelle

2005/8/2 23:28Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

and now I want to have prevailing prayer, but it's such a battle. I feel when I pray a sudden attack of thoughts, it takes so much energy to sift through and find the truth. As soon as I enter into the spiritual, I feel a fog of war. I only last about 10 mintues (on most occasions) before my mind becomes numb and I begin to get sleepy (no matter the time). This isn't wrestling with God, this is wrestling with princes of the air, and all I want is to connect with God. What is wrestling with God? Im usually numb after 10 mins, how on earth do these people stay up all night petitioning God? I want to learn...

ah the battle feild....Casting all vain imginations under your feet
do not despair if it is ten minutes do not despise small beginnings....do not beat yourself up if you should fall asleep but know this as long as you are going forward, even after you sleep pray and move on asking for strength for your mind to be protected etc, but if you still fall asleep it is not that you didnt pray ....if you should think to say oh i forgot to cover myself in prayer be aware that is only spiritual superstion, but it is he who should move your boundry to pray longer,as you prove yourself faithful. it is he who put a song in your heart pslam 40 michelle

2005/8/2 23:38Profile
coops

Re:

Quote:
"Caught, not taught"

yeah! thats what i was trying to say. Does anyone know how I can catch that?! I guess He burdens us with the need to pray...

Quote:
he gave you the desire to seek after intercessory prayer.

and often i ask in frustration, "Then why dont You give it to me?!" I want to spend alot of time in prayer, nobody sees me, and the results arent very obvious, but I want it anyway. I just don't understand the lack of a burden. After 10 mins im all out! So i guess I wanted to see how prayer warriors prevailed, i wanted to hear them and catch something.

Quote:
"as thou they had no choice but to pray"

No, I have a choice. I have a desire too, but it fades into exhaustion. So I guess the questions then are this:

1. Why is it a battle and so hard?
2. What is it to wrestle in prayer? Do we wrestle with God?
3. How do they go on all night in previvaling prayer?
4. Where can I catch a burden like that?

2005/8/2 23:46Profile
TiltedHalo

Brooklyn, USA

Re: Elizabeth Alves

Hey, what's happenin' Coops =)

The one thing I can say is that no matter what information you read, what people say, what you do, if it is absent of the Holy Ghost, then it is ineffective.

There is one book, that helped me in a MIGHTY way.

Becoming a Prayer Warrior:A Guide to Effective & Powerful Prayer by Elizabeth Alves.

I tell you brother, it has some awesome awesome insight on prayer. It truly is amazing. There are certain things that I don't agree with but all in all, we can eat the meat & spit out the bones.

I 100% recommend this book to you & to anyone who seeks to have a clearer outline of prayer & the way it can work effectively instead of reciting vain repetitions.

God Bless

2005/8/3 0:39Profile

Re:

Hi again coops,

Something made me think about an experience I had with the Lord, and that reminded me of other men of God's Testimonies of their praying time.

It happened that one night, about midnight, I was making my tea and I felt a strong compelling to take my tea outside, to drink it out there, And to pray out there.

I said, Nooooo, I ain't goin' out there at this hour. Ha !

But the compelling kept up ... so finally I did.

As I sat there, I started to pray my same ol' prayers, "Lord we're such a mess, help me ... blah,blah,blah .... then 4 planes went through the sky, and that's not unusual, cuz I live not far from an airport, and the word "Disaster" came really strong in me.

I pushed it off, thinking, that was in my head.
And I went back to my blah,blah prayer.
But again, "Disaster" and again.

So finally, I said, "Lord, if this is You, just let me know what to do with this word" and I knew it had to do with these planes. I felt He was saying, that it would be "one event". After a while, I went to bed.

That was the early morning of 9/11.

When I woke up that morning and saw the second plane hit ... I knew why God did that for me. He is so unbelievably Merciful.

I would have been waiting for the other shoe to drop, for the rest of that day at work, if He hadn't prepared my heart and let me know, that what happened within that hour or so, would be one event.

Why couldn't He just told me inside my house ?

That's what I asked Him.

He's basically showed me, how distracted I am inside.

So then I called my best friend/sister in Christ way up north and told her what happened with the Lord outside, and she said, "Annie, the same thing happened to me, when I woke up this morning at 6 am, I felt the Lord telling me to have my prayer time outside for a change, so I took a walk, and the Lord prepared my heart, for 'something' big, as I walked."

So what, I'm trying to get at ... is many people have had "a place" to go pray, where they are the least "bothered".

I've read of great praying men, who would walk off to "their favorite part of the woods", etc. etc. and ya see that in the Bible with some too.

Maybe, I don't know, but maybe, there may be a place like that with or for you.

Azulfire - I've enjoyed all of your posts also.

Let's pray for each other for a while.

We all want the same things.

Thanks !!!

Love.

Annie

2005/8/3 0:39
coops

Re:

Hey grannieannie,

I've heard of "prayer closets" and such, I guess wherever it is, it's a time to get the distractions out of our environment.

...but i want more! I want to be able to pray anywhere anytime! I want to practice the presence of God!

i it want my thought life to give way to my prayer life!

But nevertheless you are right. Baby steps. Finding a place to get to know God more and become more experienced in burdened prayer is very good advice. Thankyou, and I will start thinking of how I can rid myself of distractions.

2005/8/3 2:55Profile

Re:

I'm with you on that ... we always "want more".

But the Word says, "as you received Christ ... so walk in Him" and that is By Faith.

He's always with us, by His Spirit. But we access Him by faith in His Word, that He wants more of us, then we could even want of Him ... we've GOT to believe that.

When it's says "pray without ceasing", that's possible too.

It's just constantly talking to Him in your head, no matter what you're doing.

I read Bro. Lawrance's book, heap-big-many-moons ago. And I desired that Presence at all times.

Well, He's right with you.
Just talk to Him, as constantly through-out the day as possible.

He who began a good work in you ... Shall complete it.

Whosoever hungers and thirts after righteousness, Shall be filled.

We walk in the Faith, that He is with us, and that as long as we "will it" (the deeper walk),,, well HE Wills it for us, 100 times more.

That's what we are saved to, Rom 8:29.

We've got to Trust Him and totally LEAN and not strive in our own selfs. But Know, He wants to form you and me, into the Image of His Son, more than we ever could.

If we get bumbed out, that we don't have enough this or that ... we're saying that God isn't working fast enough.

It's a faith walk, that HE works "ALL THINGS together for the good ... in order to work the image of Christ into us." Rom 8:28 is FOR 29.

Live in the minute. Minute by minute walk, of making the right decision on what to do with this very minute and trust Him also, to lead you on what to do.
That's what the Comfortor has been given to us For.

It has to be His working in us, otherwise, it's no longer a faith walk, and we can't say with Paul ... that "It is no longer 'I' that lives, 'but Christ' that lives within me.

Desire is good, as long as it doesn't lead to looking inward & depression, instead of looking at the Author and Finisher of our faith.

He is the One Who is 'transforming' us, if we are just 'willing'.
He asks for our will, and desire, to dwell in His presence and to be made, as much like Him as humanly possible ... and HE Works.

Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit, says The LORD.

It's HIS will and plan for all of us, to resemble His Son ... and only HE can do that in us.

Chill out with Jesus, under a nice shadey tree and Believe His promises to make you into what HE wants. Trust Him for that, and in all things 'give thanks'.

Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS, and again I say Rejoice. We serve a GOOD GOD & He's Faithful, to fulfill the desires that "HE" put into your/our heart.

I'm alone a lot at home, so I talk to Him most of the day. Not cause I'm Holy ... but because I'm helpless.

In my head, I'm saying stuff like, "Lord, did you see that ?" or "Lord, where'd I leave my glass this time ?" Etc. Etc. and He never lets us down.

And besides, He Does have the best sense of Humor I've found. :-) He comes back with some riots.

He only wants your 'will' coops, and He's got that ... you've shown that.

PEACE, JOY & LOVE in the Holy Spirit.

and Peace again.

Annie

2005/8/3 8:43

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy