SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : help! I have a "ten year old" dad!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
4everhis85

help! I have a "ten year old" dad!

Well, my dad really isn't ten years old, and i'm not even sure this is the best place for this post, but i really need your all's prayers! My dad has bi polar disorder, although he is unaware of this, and it is so hard in so many ways for him and his state as his reasoning, actions and ideas are very child like at times. The situation is kinda hard to describe but on my fathers side there is a long line of mental illness, and my Dad suffers from anxeity and as some of you may know this illness is kinda like the gateway one, or because he has anxiety problems it makes it easier for him to have parinoia or other problems. Right now it is actually looking like he will be spending some time in jail, 10 days to a month, for an inccident were he was involved in a kinda fight. He was buying a Christmas present for my mother at his former place of employment when a security guard, who hated my father as an employee c/ of his faith, approached him with out identifying himself. Now my dad hit the guy knocking him out c/ he felt threatened c/ the guard didn't id himself and was laying hands on him, now if this is a result of his anxiety i don't know, but when this happened he stayed there and waited for the officers to come in the back room. While in the back room the guards buddy came back, a very large man, and proceeded to beat the ever lovin day lights out of my dad. Now the two of them got together to make it look like my dad assaulted these men, which i know is untrue, but the situation has continued to draw out some major mental problems. I would really appreciate your prayers and advice from those who have a spouse that suffers from bi polar disorder or even a grown child! I would really appreciate it!
Ur bro in Christ
TJ

2005/8/1 21:49Profile
ellie

UK

Re: help! I have a "ten year old" dad!

Hi, In the UK their are speacial laws some quite new.
If arrested here and family or himself say he is ill under psychiatry, A Doctor and or Psychiatrist would be called to examine the person. As he might not be well enough to be Questioned. He would I think be Hospitalised.For reports. All would choose which procedures that he
he would be best with.

Tell me what you think so far. Can you or someone else do any of this.

ellie

Ellie

2005/8/1 22:48Profile

Re:

TJ, this is just heart breaking.

How are you holding up under this stress ?

Of course we will pray for your poor Dad and remember him as the days progress.

Keep us posted, and I mostly pray, that The Lord would find your Dad the Best Attorney in the world.

Lord have mercy on this Family. In Jesus Name.

2005/8/2 4:13
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

This must be very difficult. My brother is bi-polar, and has done some pretty outlandish things in the past. I pray for you, though I don't know if I have any good advice, as my brother is not Christian (unless he got converted from the last email I sent him), so this situation is quite different.

First off, from your comments about your dad being a "ten year old," I would assume that he acts very immature at times. My brother is highly intelligent, has a college degree, runs his own business, etc. However, he acts towards me as an adolescent would, in that he must always make a mocking or negative comment about everything I say, especially anything Scriptural.

I don't know if this is taken out of context or whatever, but Proverbs 17:17 fits the relationship between he and I: "a brother is born for adversity." So I suppose the first part of the verse is the key to dealing with this: "A friend loveth at all times."

It seems to me that God is using, and has used my brother for many years, to strengthen me, to try me, and to build up my patience. Now don't let me fool you into thinking that I don't lose my patience with him. He knows how to push my anger buttons better than anyone I have ever known. So I would guess that God gave me my brother to make 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and James 1:3 real in my life:

[4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
[5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
[6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
[7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

...the trying of your faith worketh patience.

I hope that all with your Father turns out well, and may Christ be the winner in all of our trials.

2005/8/4 6:27Profile
Nellie

Re:

I know you will stand by your Dad, and I ask God to give you the strength you need, in this most trying time.
The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight.
God Bless you.
Nellie :-)

2005/8/4 9:31Profile
juls

WALES

HELLO,I do understand some of what your going through, i have a daughter she is 15 but her mind is of an 8 year old she has autism and adhd. if someone touched her she will hit out, she is always mocked and teased the only safe place for her is Christ, i cried as i was reading your message, your dad will be prayed for, please go to www.bethelpulpitministries.com and give then your prayer request they are a praying church, also look up norma forster's testimony that is my daughter, brother just to let you know your not on your own. together we will send up are prayers in faith.

Quote:
The truth shall make you free. what is truth? truth is Christ, What is Christ? Christ is Life.
4everhis85 wrote:
Well, my dad really isn't ten years old, and i'm not even sure this is the best place for this post, but i really need your all's prayers! My dad has bi polar disorder, although he is unaware of this, and it is so hard in so many ways for him and his state as his reasoning, actions and ideas are very child like at times. The situation is kinda hard to describe but on my fathers side there is a long line of mental illness, and my Dad suffers from anxeity and as some of you may know this illness is kinda like the gateway one, or because he has anxiety problems it makes it easier for him to have parinoia or other problems. Right now it is actually looking like he will be spending some time in jail, 10 days to a month, for an inccident were he was involved in a kinda fight. He was buying a Christmas present for my mother at his former place of employment when a security guard, who hated my father as an employee c/ of his faith, approached him with out identifying himself. Now my dad hit the guy knocking him out c/ he felt threatened c/ the guard didn't id himself and was laying hands on him, now if this is a result of his anxiety i don't know, but when this happened he stayed there and waited for the officers to come in the back room. While in the back room the guards buddy came back, a very large man, and proceeded to beat the ever lovin day lights out of my dad. Now the two of them got together to make it look like my dad assaulted these men, which i know is untrue, but the situation has continued to draw out some major mental problems. I would really appreciate your prayers and advice from those who have a spouse that suffers from bi polar disorder or even a grown child! I would really appreciate it!
Ur bro in Christ
TJ

2005/8/4 9:49Profile
ellie

UK

Re: Re: 4everhis85 Your Dad.

Hi again, 4everhis85

I too have a brother who has Bipolar; he has also done and does some very scary things. He is unable to work in these later years; the whole thing debilitates him, although he does live on his own with a nurse calling in on him.
I have thought on many occasions, how he copes with such voices that attack him most often daily. He shows endurance and great strength so much. Will sometimes stop taking his tablets and things can go quite haywire, until they settle him on his medication again. Our family are not lovers of medication but his is such that it is necessary, for at least until he gives his life to God. He has a heart that reaches out. He loves Jesus but won’t come under the authority of God; I believe if he did there would be a break through in his illness. He is now 58.
Seems there are many different symptoms of Bipolar.
And so you can see that we understand your plight. I think it must be particularly hard that it’s your Dad.
As you can see we are all praying, for you and your Dad and family.

juls. I have looked at your Daughters Testimony, How wonderful, infact amazing for her life to change so dramatically, the quality of which she now enjoys.

ellie

2005/8/4 15:06Profile
4everhis85

Re:

Thank you letsgetbusy, it's so nice to know that someone out there knows what it is like, thank you others too!
Yeah, my dad is very intelligent! like actually close to genious levels. But despite this his social interactions and such are very child like, and like you said letsgetbusy about pushing buttons, children KNOW how to do it the best! lol Its just weird c\ he'll get this idea like, i want to buy/invest inot some brick buildings. At first hearing this it could sound legit, but if you were to ask him how this would be an investment or what he would use them for he wouldn't be able to answer, kinda like a kid who says, "i'm going to go build a plane!" In their mind he is actually going to build a workable, air worthy plane. But as the child goes into his project he learns of his limitations and soons settles for make believe.
That is my dad in a lot of ways, but he never gets to the point of "hey i actually cannot do this" but instead puts blame upon people saying things like, 'if you would JUST support me!"
These ideas are in his manic stages and it is a constant cyble and the person who it is hardest on is my mother c/ she usually is the one getting crapped on by him c/ of this, kinda like a sister would, right letsgetbusy?
But anyway, my dad went and saw a pschologist(sp?) and it seems as things are on there way for treatment! PRAISE THE LORD! and i just pray that the jail time that my dad does spend brings healing instead of more wounds!
Thank you all!
Ur bro in CHrist
TJ

2005/8/5 21:29Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

My brother's manic stages have calmed down with medication, but now he doesn't express himself very often as a result. I mean, he is a better artist, and has better artwork than all the stuff being done today, in my opinion. But after work, he just kind of lays around.

It sometimes doesn't seem to fit into God's "plan," but I know that this is just my inability to see Him working. So I must focus on God, and remember that wonderful verse,

Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

2005/8/5 23:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy