SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Concerning Christian Clichés & Concepts...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Thats why the house church movement is starting to get traction. I can tell you from experience tho... it's hard to turn other people on to it because they have been so trained into thinking you need to go to 3 services a week, listen to three sermons... pass the plate, sing 3 hymns... and thats church.

Oy.

Krispy

2005/8/2 6:05

Re:

Hey Krispy,

You forgot the "only 3 verses per sermon".

:lol:

I'm sorry, after crying, I always like to laugh a while, to undo the other.

Thanks !

2005/8/2 7:24
free

Re:

Quote:
As for church attendance... ever notice preachers love to preach about the day of rest (which they should!), yet they fill up Sundays with services, etc. Ever notice how frustrating it can be to get your family out the door on time... get to Sunday school by 10... get home around 1pm... have lunch... and then about 2 1/2 hours after lunch is over you have to get the family out the door in time for evening service? WHERE IS THE RESTING TIME?? Sunday can be the busiest day of the week! You get home from the evening service... and drop.

We should never subject our children to such an overdose. It will only turn them off. Dont allow even a pastor to give you such a guilt trip when you dont show up for yet another service in one day.

2005/8/2 8:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
We should never subject our children to such an overdose. It will only turn them off. Dont allow even a pastor to give you such a guilt trip when you dont show up for yet another service in one day.

I dont know if I can go along w/that 100%... but you are right, there needs to be balance.

The only person I allow to guilt trip me... is my wife.

Krispy

2005/8/2 10:07
Bomar

Re:

Being Born Again

Many times when witnessing, after confronting someone with their sin and judgment, and they try to wiggle themselves out it, I ask them "When were you born again".

They usually respond by telling me the time that they were baptised when they were 6 years old.

I have to patiently unteach and then reteach about being born again, the witness of the Spirit, etc.

The Nobody's Perfect Doctrine

This quite simply comes from well-meaning preachers preaching, with great tenacity and repetitition, that "Hey, nobody's perfect, and God understands". And so, when I tell some drunkard or fornicator that God will judge them unless they repent, then they beging to preach the "Nobody's perfect" sermon to me.

2005/8/2 11:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Sunday Morning meetings...

Most of us meet on Sunday mornings for "worship services." But have you ever thought as to why?

We know that the Sabbath was the "holy" day for the Jews. But in the New Testament, we learn that [i]every day[/i] is a "Sabbath" rest for the people of God [u]if[/u] they spend time in the Lord's presence (Hebrews 4:1-13). The early Church met [i]daily[/i], and often in one another's homes (Acts 2:46). Such a legalistic, required observance of a "single, holy day" was considered by Paul to be "nailed to the cross" -- just like mandatory circumcision.

Quote:
[b]Colossians 2:8-17[/b]
8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Word of God also states that such legalistic honoring of such days is insignificant -- we must just be convinced in our effort to live for the Lord (Romans 14:5).

Yet many Churches preach [u]against[/u] those who miss a service due to work, school or even sickness. A Church that I once attended almost [i]demanded[/i] that its members attend every time the door was opened (usually 4-5 times a week). Those who did not attend for one reason or another were frowned upon by other members of the Church. Some were considered "unspiritual" or "immature" in their faith. Still others were not allowed to participate in ministry at the Church because they were so "[i]unfaithful[/i]." I probably attended more than anybody else, but I just felt very uncomfortable by the attitudes of the "faithful" attendees over those who did not attend every service.

While it is a good thing (and a wonderful blessing) to often meet together with believers, I don't think such legalistic requirements were what the writer of Hebrews 10:25 had in mind when we were encouraged to meet together.

Does anyone else have any input on this?

:-)

2005/9/4 13:46Profile
roadsign

Re: cliches

Here is a quote I found:
" Many Christian websites, even those which hope to be evangelistic, tend to use Christian jargon. This may be incomprehensible to many non-Christians, and perceived as ‘church’ or ‘preachy’ by others. The result is that we tend to communicate well only to the ‘churched’ people (that is, those with some degree of church exposure in their lives), and fail to communicate with the much larger numbers of ‘unchurched’.

I did not know just how many evangelical cliches I had absorbed until I started attending a Presbyterian church. I had to change my talk - a good excercise for me.

Here are a few sites with some typical cliches. I can't find my favorite link, but these give the drift.
[url=http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/12976.htm ]Christian cliches[/url]

[url=http://www.jcsm.org/biblelessons/cliches.htm ]Christian Cliches[/url]

[url=http://training.truthmedia.com/howto/cliches.html ]Cristian Cliches[/url]

[url=http://training.truthmedia.com/howto/cliches.html ]Cristian Cliches[/url]

[url=http://www.weirdcrap.com/recreational/cliche.html]Christian Cliches[/url] (from an atheists viewpoint)

[url=http://ied.gospelcom.net/dayframeforlinks.php?id=http://guide.gospelcom.net/resources/jargon.php&referer=&des=Avoiding%20jargon]Avoiding jargon[/url]

2005/9/4 16:36Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Concerning Christian Clichés & Concepts...

In witnessing to others I have learned to never use theological terms. It is far better to use twenty words in discussing a concept when ordinarily one would do because of the problem of being misunderstood. Cliches should never be used, IMHO.

Some terms one should not use is trinity, rapture, eschatology, etc. Discuss the concepts but do not use these words because some have a bias against them because of their religious upbringing/affiliation like Jehovah's Witness. It is so crucial to communicate, almost like you have learn another language but in reality you just have to be so simple that a child could understand it. And the wonderful thing about it is the Holy Spirit will help you in this...He, after all, is more interested in this person then you ever could be.

ginnyrose

2005/9/6 12:08Profile
roadsign

Re: How to avoid cliches: LISTEN MORE THAN TALK

Quote:
some (words) have a bias against them because of their religious upbringing/affiliation

I agree, Ginnyrose. The more we can understand how a person thinks, feels the more we will know what words to use. We need to get on his map and off of ours.

If we spend more time [b][size=large][color=CC3300] LISTENING[/color][/size][/b]
and less time talking, we may very well have been more effective.
Diane

2005/9/6 12:24Profile
baruch_48

Re:

the term "church service" is not ordained of God

also especially the phrase "worship service" is bogus - it implies one cannot worship the Lord, or does not have to .... at other times

modern christianity has transmuted the term 'worship' to have to do largely with what one "does" in the building -- namely singing and hearing the sermon and then donating money

i really dislike how 'worship' is primarily categorized as "singing" ( "the praise and worship time" of the "service" )

I believe "service" came in under Constantine's pagan invasion in the 300's A.D.

I believe it's the case that the 'pagan gods' were to be 'serviced' in elaborate and ritualistic ceremonies ... and this whole Form was imposed upon the new "christian worship"

2005/9/7 16:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy