SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The oil is the Holy Spirit.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The oil is the Holy Spirit.

This is a quote from a sermon by Horatius Bonar, about the foolish virgins having no oil.

Alongside 'What is a church?', which is looking at lampstands right now, this may be useful. I am particularly interested in the oil of consecration, the oil of daily food, the oil of fragrance and the oil of healing, as I am in need most, of instruction about them.

Quote:
[u]The oil is the Holy Spirit[/u]. To oil He is likened throughout all Scripture, though in some places to [u]fire[/u], and to [u]water[/u], and to [u]wind or air[/u]. There is the [u]oil of consecration[/u] (Exodus 30:25); of [u]daily food[/u] (1 Kings 17:12); of [u]fragrance[/u] (Esther 2:12); of [u]joy[/u] (Psalm 47, Isaiah 61:3); of [u]healing[/u] (Luke 10:34); of [u]light[/u] (Zechariah 4:12). [u]The Holy Spirit is all these[/u].

2005/7/29 19:54
Azulfire

Washington state

Re: The oil is the Holy Spirit.

Dorcas,
I am also interested, about the oil, are you replying to someone who asked you a question? I too would like more indepth study of the oil if you could be so kind
thanks Michelle

2005/8/1 17:04Profile

Hi,
This has been on my heart of late and I do want to respond.
In your post, you quoted someone else as saying:

Quote:
The oil is the Holy Spirit. To oil He is likened throughout all Scripture,

Sadly, many in church try to homogenize those two sentences. The second half first, He is "likened" to oil is I think accurate. The first part "the oil is the Holy Spirit" is not accurate, even though many in church today use it as though it was.

Let me explain. Samuel went to the house of Jesse to anoint a king. God told him to go, and he took some oil with him. But he did not know which son he was going to anoint. After he had looked at all the sons but David, he was perplexed because he had not heard from God as to which son would be king. So he asked Jesse, do you have yet another son, which he did. When David was brought forth, then and only then did God speak to Samuel and tell him to anoint David as king.
What would have happened if he had just looked for the one who "appeared" to have all the "right stuff" to be king and anointed that one. Do you think for a second that the Holy Spirit would have come upon him as He did with David?
Oil in the church is only useful and symbolic if we are acting upon the express will of God by the leading of the Holy Spirit. Anything else is religious and ineffective. There is no substitute for hearing from God. Jesus said He did not say or do anything, without first hearing from the Father. Dare we do our ministry any different? Is it any wonder we have lots of oil around but see little if any result? Just my thoughts, I appreciate yours. God bless you and keep you.

because He lives,

Lahry

2005/8/3 8:23

Quote:
Oil in the church is only useful and symbolic if we are acting upon the express will of God by the leading of the Holy Spirit. Anything else is religious and ineffective. There is no substitute for hearing from God.

This is absolutely true. I agree with all you've said, actually, but I've never seen oil used inappropriately.

The original context of the quote in the opening post, is Horatius Bonar making an aside to the symbolic significance of oil as it appears variously in scripture, (where of course, it was being used expressly as God directed in each situation) but his main sermon was based on the 5 virgins who had no oil. It is the last post by crsschk on this page. in R.A.S.A.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=2637&forum=35&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=2637&forum=35&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0[/url]

Michelle,

Sorry to be so tardy in replying. It is worth your looking into the thread called 'What is a church?' in the last couple of pages of it, where philologos expounds on the lampstands at the start of Revelation (which are lit with oil), and on Aaron's ministry (type of Christ) was specifically to tend the lights in the tabernacle. The seven branched lampstand of the tabernacle, (in which all seven channels are connected as one, with seven outlets to be lit) is replaced in the New Testament, by individual lampstands (churches). The whole thread is worth a read, but it will take about 3 hours, I believe.

'What is a church' opening post here. [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4793&forum=35&166]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4793&forum=35&166[/url]

To understand this picture more, you have to know that 'Immanuel' means 'God with us' or 'God tabernacles with us'. Then, see that a person who has received the Holy Spirit has become a temple or [i]tabernacle[/i] (tent) within which the Spirit dwells. Christ's ministry within my tabernacle is... you get what I mean?

Please go ahead and post in the 'what is a church?' thread, if you want to bring it back up.

2005/8/7 8:31
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

I have always understood the oil in the lamps of the five virgins as representing the indwelling Spirit of God.

It seems appropriate that 'virgins' are used in the parable. These virgins have kept themselves pure for the wedding feast. That is, all ten possess 'personal' righteousness, but we see that they do not gain access to the wedding feast because of their virgin status - rather they must have the oil in their lamps. How else will they find their way in the dark?

The teaching in that parable is profoundly deep. Until we have the Holy Spirit, we are in darkness, and unless we have the Spirit, there will be no light to guide us to the wedding feast.

I don't think the oil in the lamps of this parable have anything whatsoever to do with how real oil is used in the church.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/8/9 14:05Profile

Re: The oil is the Holy Spirit

Lahry said

Quote:
Oil in the church is only useful and symbolic if we are acting upon the express will of God by the leading of the Holy Spirit. Anything else is religious and ineffective. There is no substitute for hearing from God.

I'd like to testify that the symbolism of the oil is not lost on God and one would not use oil every time one prays for someone else in person, but, led by the Holy Spirit where healing is part of the need, the Lord ministers the soothing, comfort and protection which the oil represents (wine represents cleansing).

dann said
Quote:
I don't think the oil in the lamps of this parable have anything whatsoever to do with how real oil is used in the church.

As a picture of fulness with the Spirit, (from which all other ministry flows - although it seems to be a different picture), understanding what Jesus meant about being prepared spiritually, and then [i][b]being[/b][/i] prepared spiritually, it may be more connected than at first glance. I thought Lahry raised a very practical point for the real Christian's life. It is vital to the 'success' of praying for a person, that one learns how to wait in the Spirit for the word from the Lord for their situation and allow Him to put the words into one's mouth to pray, immediately believing that this word is the word of life to them, at the very least, connecting God to their need [i]in fact[/i].

2005/8/10 3:48
Logic

Re:

The Holy Oil used for anointing represents the Holy Spirit.
Exodus 30:31 and say to the children of Israel, This is to be the Lord's holy oil, from generation to generation.
32. It is not to be used for man's flesh, and no other is to be made like it: holy it is, and you are to keep it holy.
Psalm 133:2 the precious ointment upon the head, running down upon the beard, running down upon the beard of Aaron, running down upon the hem of his garment,"
The Oil never touched his skin flesh), even tough he was the high priest.

It should be noted that in the Bible, water represents washing and purification (i.e. Lev. 22:6; Ezek. 16:4, 9; Heb. 10:22). In fact, this is what baptism symbolizes: that is, to be cleansed (of sin), to be washed.

Water also represents Gods Word
Ephesians 5: 26 that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

John 4:11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Water also represents Gods Word
Ephesians 5: 26 that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

2005/8/10 13:02Profile

Re: The oil is the Holy Spirit

Quote:
The Oil never touched his skin flesh), even tough he was the high priest.

This helps to remind us that Christ did away with what was wrong with our flesh to such an extent that we can now have the indwelling Holy Spirit. We don't have very fancy outside robes to make us priests, we have a simple robe of righteousness through Christ. What a big change!

2005/8/10 14:44
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

The preistly garb, according to my understanding - is a picture of our being clothed in Christ. We enter the holy of holies through that new and living way - the way that was opened by Christ - but just as the priest could not enter into the Holy of Holies without the priestly garb, likewise we also cannot enter into the holy of holies unless we are clothed in Christ.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/8/10 15:10Profile

Re: The oil is the Holy Spirit - clothed in Christ

Quote:
likewise we also cannot enter into the holy of holies unless we are clothed in Christ.

I think this is what I meant, with this verse in mind. Maybe I should have quoted it. Sorry guys.

1 Corinthians 1
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and [u]righteousness[/u], and sanctification, and redemption:

Here are some more with the same idea of being made fit for the King's presence.

Revelation 7:14
And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have [u]washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb[/u].

Revelation 3:4
Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Zechariah 3
3 Now Joshua [the High Priest] was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and [u]I will clothe thee with change of raiment[/u].

Matthew 22
11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
12 And he saith unto him, Friend, [u]how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment?[/u] And he was speechless.
13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

2005/8/10 16:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy