SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I was hit by a van yesterday - PRAISE THE LORD!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I was hit by a van yesterday - PRAISE THE LORD!

I became an avid cyclist this summer - riding my new mountain bike to work and back every day. It is a ten mile trip one way, and through this exercise (and eating less - see my post on gluttony) I have lost 30 pounds this summer!

Where I live, there is no provision made for cyclists in traffic - that is, there are no 'bike lanes' and lanes are narrow enough in some places that it makes it dangerous for a cyclist to ride there. So it is that in my city cyclists ride on the sidewalk a lot. It is not legal to do so, but the law is not enforced at all unless an accident takes place. Should an accident take place because the cyclist was coming off a side walk into traffic, the cyclist is always at fault because he had no legal right to be on the sidewalk.

Now having started riding my bike this summer for the first time in twenty years, I have been the "model citizen" of cyclists - stopping for almost every stop sign, and never, ever running a light. Yet I began to let that slip a bit, and, because it seemed safer to do so, I rode on the sidewalk a lot. Conviction came, but I allowed myself to believe that it was okay because it was one of those laws that wasn't being enforced.

So I found myself yesterday, traveling eastbound, on the sidewalk, and crossing a major intersection. A lady was turning right on a red (which is legal where I live) from the southbound lane of the intersection to westbound lane. I would have to drive directly in front of her van, but the light for east and westbound traffic was green, and she was slowing down to wait for an opening so that she could turn right. So I entered the intersection in front of her, but her attention was on the traffic coming from the other direction. She saw an opening, and accelerated, and in so doing broadsided me.

Now, if you are going to get slammed by a motor vehicle while riding your bike - may I suggest that minivans are the way to go? I was hit simultaneously in the left shoulder, elbow/forearm/ ribs, and thigh - but tumbled off her grill, with what must have seemed a surprising grace, as I found myself immediately on my feet, I picked up my bike from where it had been thrown into traffic, and engaged the terrified lady who was by now out of the van and quite concerned that she had actually hit someone.

In the moment I was hit, I knew that the Lord had sanctioned it - He had convicted me, and when the Lord's hand is upon you for chastening, you just know it. So I must have seemed ridiculously cheerful - and I was - I was so thankful for God's chastening me with such a light hand! I could have been creamed, but I came out with a few welts and scratches. The poor lady must have thought I was delirious - I think the smile on my face must have been disturbing - but I knew that the Lord loved me, and in the strength of that mercy and love I knew my repentance was immediate and full - I wasn't going to ignore the Lord anymore - and that made me happier than a man should be who has just seconds ago bounced off the hood of a van.

All I can say is, Praise the Lord! We exchanged numbers in case there were any complications - but after I had been home last night for a half hour or so, I decided to call her and reassure her that I was perfectly fine.

It was a wonderful thing - This is the third time the Lord has had to correct me in some unusual way - but every time it happens, the love of the Lord washes the whole thing - it has given me such instruction each time - especially in how to correct my own children. Boy, there is something about being hyper-aware that God loves you, that makes all correction, however bitter or painful - it makes that same correction not only bearable, but a time of close fellowship that drives the heart to repent.

Praise the Lord!

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/7/28 11:22Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: I was hit by a van yesterday - PRAISE THE LORD!

Great testimony brother! All this life is, is an opportunity to grow closer to Jesus Christ before we spend all eternity with Him. God chastise us not in your wrath Lord! "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you a with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?" (Hebrews 12:7).

2005/7/28 12:04Profile
ellie

UK

Re: I was hit by a van yesterday - PRAISE THE LORD!

That is so wonderfull all the way through I felt the caution that God gave to you, I also felt the delight of his such loveing chastening, thats how he does with me. I get some odd looks sometimes when I talk of it as I too smile and am so cheerful.

Some years ago I got a bike and biked into town which was not too far away. The route was quite scarey,two lane traffic. Longsided heavy lorries, double decker bus's, cars and vans,other buses rolling past me. I kept to the kirb as much as possible. I would look at the pathway, longing to ride in safety, some people do it but I knew it was against the law and had conviction about it. I obeyed on those occasions. Partley due to not wanting to be stopped by a police car. I would keep my hand partialy on the breaks in case I had need to stop quickly and trusted that I would make it to my destination.
Thankfully I always did.

Your testamony is wonderful.

ellie

2005/7/28 12:26Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Thanks Ellie - I too was absolutely in love with God to think of how He was looking out for me. He knows what is coming down to us, and gives us opportunity to turn before He allows it to chasten us - and when the chastening comes, you know He loves you though it!

It was awesome.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/7/28 17:01Profile
ellie

UK

Re: It was awesome

Yes you will remember it, throughout your life. Such a wonderful testamonial and illastration of knowing him intamatly, his caution, his chastening with love for you. And no serious injuries

Correct a wonderful, Awesome experience. Containing interesting substance. Will keep those you speak it too, hanging on to thier chairs in suspence and laughter and Praise for God at the end.....

I give thanks to thee Almighty God.

ellie

2005/7/28 20:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy