Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : his dark materials

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

his dark materials

with all the talk about Harry Potter in the air at the moment i thought i would draw peoples attention to Philip Pullman's trilogy called 'His Dark Materials'(also a concern raised by Philologos i think) the three books are:

1: Northern Lights or The Golden Compass
2: The Subtle Knife
3: The Amber Spyglass

please make no mistake this is overt anti-christian children literature, where in the final volume a huge army made up of people, and magical creatures etc. declares war on God and his holy mountain.
God is depicted as the first self created being who due to extreme age has gone totally senial, and now cackles and mumbles and plays with his beard. In the third book God has been 'replaced' by the next oldest being Metatron who has kind of gone mad with power and now wants total dominion over creation.
God and anyone who has anything to do with him including the church, which is depicted as a corrupt organization whose only purpose is to keep people from finding out the truth about God etc.., is of course the bad guys of the saga.
The main characters are of course 2 children called tom (from this world) and lyra (from another very similar world), notice also again a group of children, 2 in this case, rebelling against adults a very very very common theme that children now'a'days are constantly confronted with (rebellion against all forms of authority, 'they dont understand your situation kids').
Lyra has a lifetime companion which is openly called a daemon, which at the start of the first book Pullman writes, the word daemon is to be pronounced 'demon'.
I need hardly go on surely but it gets worse, the whole saga includes a plot to kill God with the subtle knife, a former nun who left the church and her faith (due to her not being allowed to marry the man she fell in love with) to pursue a career in physics which she says is far more interesting.

Oh and they all go to hell and let all the dead out too!!!!

Pullman himself has set himself up as a modern answer to C.S. Lewis who he openly criticizes for his overt christian imagery in his Narnia series, has written this as a kind of response.

most unsettling of all is this. about 18 months ago in england we had 'the Big read' a competition to find the nations best loved book, his dark materials was 3rd and hardly anyone had heard of it, it was only beaten by, Lord of the rings and pride and prejudice, it beat harry potter an every other book out there. Due to the Big read the attention given to his dark materials escalated to the point of it outselling all other books in the competition.

why have i posted this? mainly for christain parents whose kid's come home with a book to read called [b]northern lights, the subtle knife or the amber spyglass[/b]. Also be aware that some schools prescribe it to be read aloud in class time.

first harry potter and now his dark materials, what next for childrens literature? open satan worship with incantations etc...?

2005/7/28 8:04Profile
todd

California

Re: his dark materials

Wow, thanks Matt. I had never heard of that before.

2005/7/28 10:48Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: his dark materials

Thanks Matt for fleshing this out. It is interesting to me that I have not been able to read this author, although I have tried a couple of times. It arouses such anger in me that I can scarcely concentrate on what I am reading. As you say, it is so overt in its antagonism to God and biblical revelation.

Some might say, "why try to read it?" Sometimes we have to examine poisons to understand them and to provide an antidote. Do you know of any Christian apologists who have taken on the subject matter of 'his dark materials'?

2005/7/28 11:19Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

Hey lover of the Word ;-)

Quote:
"why try to read it?"

well i was one of those poor sheep who went bleating after the opinion poll that said it was the third greatest literary work ever so i read it ironically 6 months later the Lord saved me, so praise His glorious name.

The strange thing was though everyone else who i spoke to who had also read the books and weren't saved came to the same conclusions, that Pullmans obvious anti-christian bias ended up ruining what was quite an original piece but seemed like he couldn't hold himself back by the middle of the third book and spent the rest of the work just in a viament full frontal attack on christianity, well catholicism really, but would people who have no religious background be able to distinguish? i think not.

Quote:
Do you know of any Christian apologists who have taken on the subject matter of 'his dark materials'?

recently found this: [url=http://crowhill.net/journeyman/Vol1No1/Darkmaterials.html]
Answers in Genesis and CARM have no info on it that i can find

2005/7/28 11:53Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

Thank you for this post. I work with teens and this is helpful information in detouroing and combating. God Bless you.

2005/7/28 12:01Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy