SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How does revival come?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

How does revival come?

Dear all,
I've been away from the site for some weeks, had the blessing and priviledge of the Lord correcting me and allowing me to get back in focus.

I remember someone post: "If God doesn't send revival, I'll die."
Sometimes, when I'm conscious of it, I realise how desperate—if where you're from is anything like Kenya—our collective need for revival is.

But how does that revival come?

I don't know for sure.
This is the extent of my knowledge;

I wonder if pointing out false doctrines, teaching and ministers brings revival, doesn't it just diagnose the sickness not bring the healing?

I wonder if getting mad at the lukewarmness works (I did that and lost my focus on Christ, who sanctifies me).

Shouldn't we just begin to pray.
Yup, just pray.

Pray in accordance with God's promises of revival:
For a moment stop looking at what the enemy is doing, the lies, the lukewarmness, the sin.
And instead look at what God says and pray God's promises down.

Pray against error—if this guy is preaching false doctrine get the facts out to the forum and let's just pray!
"Lord, shut him up!"

Doesn't God still answer prayer according to His will?

The little I've learned about revival is that God moves in answer to prayer, and not because of the worthiness of those who recieve it.

I'm not pointing any fingers. I just remember Duncan Campbell saying something to the effect that he was sorry for those who hadn't experienced revival.

The Lord helping me, I don't want to be one of them.

2005/7/27 13:30Profile
Moriah

Re: How does revival come?

Quote:
I remember someone post: "If God doesn't send revival, I'll die."

Isn't that the main point of revival? You can't be revived if your still alive.

Quote:
Sometimes, when I'm conscious of it, I realise how desperate—if where you're from is anything like Kenya—our collective need for revival is.

It is not our need of revival but the lost around us.

Revival is not hundreds being saved, but the Church coming alive, and the result of that is the hundreds being saved.

I hope I made some sence.

2005/7/27 15:21Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

I think pray is one absolutly curcial part of revival, but Moriah makes a good point about revival coming to awake a dead church. The result salvation for the lost. I think the following quote puts it well. I also think this is much of the reason we don't see any real revival. Who really wants a revival at the price it is going to cost?

"To the church a revival means humiliation, a bitter knowledge of failure, and an open and humiliating confession of sin on the part of her ministers and people. It is not the easy and glowing thing many think it to be, who imagine that it fills the empty pews, and reinstates the Church in power and authority. IT COMES TO SCORCH BEFORE IT HEALS; it comes to rebuke ministers and people for their unfaithful witness, for their selfish living, for their neglect of the Cross, and to call them to daily renunciation, to an evangelical poverty, and to a deep and daily consecration. This is why a revival has ever been unpopular with large numbers within the Church. Because it says nothing to them of power such as they have learned to love, or of ease, of success;

it accuses them of sin, it tells them that they are dead, it calls them to awake, to renounce the world, and to follow Christ." "Revivals: Their Laws and Leaders" by James Burns

2005/7/27 17:38Profile
roadsign

Revival is God's finger pointing at me

I'll never forget hearing a tape of a sermon called "Revival: God's finger pointing at me." by Lou Sutera, a revival leader in Canada in the seventies.

It caused me to ask God to show me what needed changing in my life. That is where revival begins. I asked God to do whatever it took. I was amazed at how far off track I was. A lot of the old self still needed crucifying. I was affected by my culture far more than I realized.

I still pray that God would continue working revival in me, because I have no idea what yet of my old nature still rules, and what faulty thinking lurks in my mind.

When God has us where he wants us to be, then he can use us the way he wants.

There's no point in praying for revival without laying ourselves on the altar first. That is the best offering we can give for the cause of revival.
Then God will also help us to know how to pray.
Diane

2005/7/27 18:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Revival is God's finger pointing at me

Some great things are being shared in this forum thread. We all need revive and God to change us into more of his image and likeness. Allow us to surrender God and give up and resign our wills to yours.

Quote:
I'll never forget hearing a tape of a sermon called "Revival: God's finger pointing at me." by Lou Sutera, a revival leader in Canada in the seventies.

I would love to get a copy of that tape to get up on this site if you could send one to me brother.

2005/7/27 19:06Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Re:

I agree revival begins with the church, and so there has to be piercing, exposing and confrontation of sin and slumber.

But it's easy to say things.
It's far harder to agonise over them in the closet.
It's ever harder to maintain that broken attitude that runs to Father and gets His audience.

But someone living in error will not listen to us, but he'll listen to God. Our words may be on point, but again they don't listen to the correctness of our words, they listen to the Holy Spirit's unction upon our words.

Where does that unction come from?

It's good to point out error, it's good to point out the slumber and the sin. It's good to warn and admonish.

But if this doesn't lead us to prayer, what good is it?
But if it isn't led by prayer, what effect will it bring?
How sincere is it?

Rev Carter Conlon opens a series on the letters to the 7 churches in the book of Revelation by saying something to this effect "When Christ comes, he's able to see what we don't see. He's able to rightly judge the truth and error, for nothing is hidden from His eyes."

All I'm saying is we can't do it in our strength. I spent 3-4 months sending e-mails to over 50 people. I was getting pieces of the deep sermons and the things God was doing in me.

All I got was "I really need to look at my life"
I will not speak for God, but if there was unction, I mean the real thing, there would be changes.

If we live lives and pray prayers that get an audience with God, what would hold revival back?
Would a few people preaching error?
Would people so bound up they don't know the way out, hold God back?

It's rhetoric, but I can only testify to what God did in my life and the stories I've heard about revival. When reivial comes, no-one's prepared except those praying for it.

And even those praying are barely prepared. God came and did something in my life, and I wasn't looking for it.

I'm still learning, and I believe that as the Spirit moves I'll learn more from your contributions.

Sometimes things typed seem rude—the meaning gets carried without emotions.
All this said with love,
Richard

2005/7/28 2:07Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]THE GREATEST REVIVAL OF THE CHRISTIAN ERA[/b]

Dr. Lyman Beecher said of the great revival in Rochester, N.Y., conducted by Mr. Finney, that it was the greatest revival in the Christian era. During Mr. Finney's evangelistic ministry, hundreds of thousands were converted to God through his labors, joined to those of the church.

His Lectures on Revivals " have been most wonderfully blessed in the conversion of sinners, directly and indirectly, not only in this country, but in foreign countries. When they were published in this country, 12,000 of them were sold as fast as they could be printed. They were reprinted in England and France.

They were translated into Welsh, French and German. One publisher in London put out 80,000 volumes of them. Great revivals followed wherever they circulated. But why did such revivals follow Mr. Finney's preaching, and the reading of his lectures?

I will let Mr. Finney answer this question himself. Said he, in his autobiography - "Let the reader remember that long day of agony and prayer at sea, that God would do something to forward the work of revivals, and enable me, if He desired to do it, to take such a course as to help forward the work.

I felt certain then, that my prayers would be answered, and I have regarded all that I have since been able to accomplish, as in a very important sense, an answer to the prayers of that day. The spirit of prayer came upon me as a sovereign grace, bestowed upon me without the least merit, and in despite of all my sinfulness.

He pressed my soul in prayer until I was enabled to prevail; and through infinite riches of grace in Christ Jesus, I have been many years witnessing the wonderful results of that day of wrestling with God. In answer to that day's agony, He has continued to give me the
spirit of prayer."

Said Dr. N. Murray: "Prayer is the power of the Church; and could I speak as loud as the trumpet which is to wake the dead, I would thus call upon the Church, in all branches and in all lands: 'Awake! awake! put on thy strength, 0 Zion! put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem! Arise, shine, for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.' Patriarchs, prophets, apostles. martyrs, reformers, were mighty in prayer. - Prevailing Prayer, by Wigle.

2005/7/28 13:41Profile
ellie

UK

Ways to revival.

Repentence and prayer for ones self. The same in the body of the church.
Asking for gods mercy on the saved and unsaved and that he might pour out his grace.

I always ask for mercy and his grace for everyone or thing that I pray for.
Praying back to him scripture that he brings before us to ourselves and as a church, while waiting on him.

Worshiping with all our hearts our awesome God.

The prayer I pray,
for all the people that God shows me in a day. I have been praying this for four years for many strangers in the street.

Father God I ask that you would have mercy upon that person and that by your Grace they would come to know you.
I ask that the Holy Spirit would redeem them, from the darkness unto the light of the Lord Jesus and that he would so shine his light upon them, that they would see his glory and majesty and know their redemption in him. Amen
And then I follow that with worshiping God in my heart.

Sometimes I pray a little more however I am led.

ellie

2005/7/29 5:08Profile
Apprehended

Revival begins in the hearts of those who realize how far short of the mark their current circumstance is.

When our heart cries out that our life is not properly aligned.

When our heart cries out that our local assembly is not hungry enough.

When our heart cries out that our city or town is not being impacted the way G_d’s heart desires.

When our heart cries out that our earthly efforts are simply not enough.

When our heart cries out knowing that the lost around us are not protected by the blood that came at so precious a price.

When our heart cries out for being in the presence of G_d enough to change us.

When we get on our knees, draw a small circle around ourselves and admit that this is where revival starts – we have at least begun.

Joel 1:13-20
13 Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests: howl, ye ministers of the altar: come, lie all night in sackcloth, ye ministers of my God: for the meat offering and the drink offering is withholden from the house of your God.
14 Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,
15 Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
16 Is not the meat cut off before our eyes, yea, joy and gladness from the house of our God?
17 The seed is rotten under their clods, the garners are laid desolate, the barns are broken down; for the corn is withered.
18 How do the beasts groan! the herds of cattle are perplexed, because they have no pasture; yea, the flocks of sheep are made desolate.
19 O LORD, to thee will I cry: for the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness, and the flame hath burned all the trees of the field.
20 The beasts of the field cry also unto thee: for the rivers of waters are dried up, and the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness.

Joel 2:12-18
12 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.
14 Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the LORD your God?
15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
17 Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?
18 Then will the LORD be jealous for his land, and pity his people.

2005/7/29 7:06Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Brothers and sisters in Christ,

I have never been in a revival, in the sense of a great awakening, so my take is based upon the awakenings of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and from Scripture. Blast me if you think I'm way off.

The New Testament revival is a reflection of the Old Testament sacrifice that is consumed in holy fire. When we do what He says, the way He says it, the flame will come (Luke 3:16), and it will not be a spark, but it will be a consuming fire. So I am not talking about the salvation of sinners during a service, I'm speaking of a massive movement of God that even the non-Christian press must recognize because of the lasting effects. Psalm 126:2: "then said they among the heathen, the LORD hath done great things for them."

I see II Chronicles 7:14's four steps as a must:

1) humility
2) prayer
3) seeking His face
4) turning from our wicked ways

Fruits of these must be the preaching of the gospel, inside and outside the church. During the great awakenings, sinners were converted, but the backslidden were also renewed. Even strong Christians were changed.

I understand that we know God, and we can watch people being saved in our church, and God may work among us as we are. But hearing about these awakenings, I must know that something different happened that we have not experienced. Ravenhill descibed it as an Holy Spirit invasion. Finney described it as a clap of thunder. Wesley had people laying unconcious by the hundreds.

Regardless of our differing opinions, I think we all agree that an awakening is needed. Notice what was done by the disciples that Jesus honored with His coming. God was obeyed with actions (the colt was retrieved), He was lifted up (placed on the colt), and showed publicly (He rode among the people). Once He arrived in the temple, He began to cast out the evil, just as when the Holy Ghost comes, evil will be cast out.

"Prepare ye the way of the LORD."

2005/7/29 8:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy