SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the best New Testament translation?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

What is the best New Testament translation?

This can either be from a stand alone NT or from a complete bible.

2005/7/26 9:34Profile

Re: What is the best New Testament translation?

Perhaps the question should be "which is the best revelation"?
The bible in it's original form is the best text. There are many different translations. It was the heart of God and all the reformers that the bible be translated into every man's native tongue. This was first birthed into the heart of Wycliffe. What he began is still going on today, with much work yet to be done. I believe when this work is completed, soon after the trib will begin culminating with the second coming of Christ.
There are some translations that should be avoided. "The Message", "The Living Bible" are a couple. Also the one that JW's use, the "New World Translation", I believe it's called has major errors.
One need only do a little research online to find out that there are problems with the NIV as well. I know this rattles some folks, but when you leave the word "blood" out of 41 places in the bible text, you have more than just error. You have a conspiracy to decieve.
I recommend that you ask the Lord to lead you and guide you. I pesonally have a parallel bible. On the left hand side of the page, there is the KJV, and on the right, the Amplified Bible. I love reading the amplified and it is my text of choice when I do read God's Word.
The majority of reference material published uses the KJV as a text. Therefore, in my humble opinion, no serious bible feeder should be without one. But that is not to say that the KJV is the only useful text to the christian.
The bible tells us that the Holy Spirit will lead us and guide us into all truth. God's Word is truth. Seek the Holy Spirit's direction on how you live your life day by day. He will quicken your heart as you do as to what He would have you read and drink into your spirit. God bless you as you go on with Him.

Immersed in Christ,

Lahry

2005/7/26 9:49
Corneliu

Re:

I use paralel bible reading wiht e-sword (free program from e-sword.net), can use up to 4 at a time (even foreign languages). One that I like is KJV+ because of the Strong's numbers: if you put the pointer on the number, a small box wiht the original word and a description of it, pops up.

Now, for understanding we still need grace and revelation through the Holy Spirit, from God.

2005/7/26 10:26Profile
TiltedHalo

Brooklyn, USA

Re:

With very little to none elaboration, I prefer the NIV but this doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I am ignorant in all the translations so i would not be the judge.

In Christ

2005/7/26 10:37Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Hi Nasher,

Having just completed reading several books on the topic, 'In Awe of Thy Word' by Professor Gail Riplinger, is a rounded look at the issue of translations with all the information on the subject.

http://www.avpublications.com/avnew/home.html

I have heard her speaking on radio, and she is pleasant and soft spoken and confident in the Lord. A really refreshing experience to listen to a woman of her calibre explaining things that would take a tremendous amount of research to reach. I think she has been researching the topic for about 7 years. Enjoy!

In Jesus,
Aeryck
:-P

2005/7/26 11:57Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

There are some that I would avoid, The Message, Cotton Patch...etc. But generally the best translation as I see it is the one you read. The Bible is like an excersize machine. It doesn't do you any good until you use it ;-) .

2005/7/26 12:19Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

This is a little like asking which is the best tool? For what?

2005/7/26 12:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
Corneliu

I use paralel bible reading wiht e-sword (free program from e-sword.net), can use up to 4 at a time (even foreign languages). One that I like is KJV+ because of the Strong's numbers: if you put the pointer on the number, a small box wiht the original word and a description of it, pops up.

Now, for understanding we still need grace and revelation through the Holy Spirit, from God.

Bells & Ringers .... you've just won the GrannieAnnie prize for the day ... ho-ho-ha !!!
:-?

E-sword's got more versions than you can count.
And they keep'on'a comin'. Besides tons of commentaries, dictionaries, and Tons of other books ... and the Study Notes part, where you can Paste all's yer findings.

Yesterday I downloaded the Westcott-Hort ... it's got the Strong's numbers, [u]Plus[/u] the Grammar abbreviated above each word. (I'm not a fan of Westcott-Hort's ideas on the textus receptus, but at least having the grammar there is cool. )

I've got tons of charts comparing the 'Versions', and I have to stick with the KJV, just based on that & cuz it's closest to the greek, for general everyday reading.

And because of what Lahry said, "The majority of reference material published uses the KJV as a text. Therefore, in my humble opinion, no serious bible feeder should be without one."

Having the Strong's #'s on top like Corneliu said, is just dandy too. And then when ya see the grammar too, then you can pick the version from e-sword's group that best fits the greek definition and the grammar.
The ALT version on it, is good for fitting the grammar well. So far I've downloaded 17 bible versions. Some are just in Greek or Hebrew, but it's great fun.

I've had the e-sword for about 3 yr.s now, and when my computer broke down, that was all I missed.

Before that, I had to spread all'a these books all over the kitchen table to do a word-study or whatever.

Greek's great. With 24 "the" s alone, it was the Most exact language in human history, so it's no wonder why God chose it, for the most important book in the world.

JMO :-)

Love, GA

2005/7/26 15:13
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

I've gone with the King James, but I'm not afraid of other versions. Sometimes I'll read the others, but just when they get good, I do a word for word comparison, and the KJ comes out better every time.

Like it was said earlier, none of them do you any good unless they are being put into practice. I'll stand side by side with another Christian regardless of what version they use, as long as they have certain essentials right (diety of Christ, virgin birth, etc).

2005/7/27 0:03Profile
Moriah

NKJV

I like the new King james version best, but I think it crucial to look at other translation in order to get a more claere understanding of what the author is saying.

I know that the NIV is not that good for it is a thought by thought translation. By translating that way you have the caution of the translatores own oppinions.

2005/7/28 13:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy