Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : philosophy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
arbustum

Sydney Australia

philosophy

the word philosophy actually means 'the love of wisdom' so when i look at 1 cornthians 13:4-8 and then think of the definition of wisdom: the application of knowledge, i'm lost for understanding. hmm the love of applying knowledge, perhaps they really mean: a distinct appreciation of applying knowledge?

also i know this has swayed far from this meaning. instead it brings connotations of confusion, mystery speculation and puzzles using facts and misunderstandings,

someone, please tell me, what is philosophy and why is it a scorned topic among christians?

2005/7/26 2:54Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: philosophy

Hi Arbustum,

Philosophy has one huge problem. It is man's mental gymnastics at trying to explain things, like the Existence of God, our existence, etc.

Paul who had studied under Gamaliel, and certainly was familiar with philosophy, finally turned away from all his learning and focussed on one great truth:

[b]'Christ and him crucified.'[/b]

It is not that we should be brain dead, it is just that the area of Philosophy is very lonely and most of those therein are desperately clinging onto truths with their minds. Most of the time the language is so complicated that only a select few really know what they are talking about.

A couple of really good people who have mp3 audio on the net, may show you how to approach such subjects. The one is Ravi Zacharias [Jesus among other gods] and the other is Dr Robert Morey. [He has a lecture on Existensialsm]

I hope that some of my words have been helpful.

Two verse for you to remember:
2 Corinthians 11:3
Colossians 2:8-10

In Jesus,
Aeryck
:-P

2005/7/26 12:12Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Philosophers are, many times, the most confused people you'll ever meet. Aeryck put it quite succinctly in stating that wisdom is Christ and Him crucified--to the Greeks foolishness. The very seekers of wisdom often reject the very thing they are looking for. Wisdom, true wisdom, only comes from God graciously revealing Himself to us.

2005/7/26 12:16Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: philosophy

Philosophy is the attempt to figure out things simply using nothing but reason. Philosophers, using reason, try to explain everything from the existance of God, to why we believe things are beautiful. Ultimately, philosophy tries to cover itself in the clothing of reasoning. Though ultimately, it is nothing more than wild speculation with no real boundaries to operate within to determine what is truly "reasonable."

I used to be in love with philosophy as determining what is truth, and highly read folks like Plato and such. But eventually I determined that my study was really nothing more than wild speculation, and mostly vain exercises. Though that is not to say there is some profit to studying philosophy. Thinking about some of the philosophical problems will surely stretch your thinking ability, as well as help you understand and better perceive underlying assumptions that colour our thinking. About the only reason I study philosophy these days is to better understand what others believe and why they believe it.

Philosophy teaches us that the beginning of wisdom is wild speculation and critical thinking. The Scriptures teach that the beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord. One begins with man, the other begins with God and His revelation.

2005/7/26 12:34Profile
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

ahh, dont know if you've read it then king jimmy, but there is this book i was given by a philosopher when i was 13 or so called sophie's world, it explained well the different viewpoints of various philosphers, religious figureheads and it even visited christianity, and i re-read the book last year and found that the explaination it gives of Christianity, while it misses the rest of the story it grasps pretty well some of the basics of Christianity ahd had a whole lot of valid points. the only thing is, i still know this philospher but about the only thing he wont hear from me is anyting about Christ nor 'peace' he's had a very very tough life and thats just what i've heard of, he's got so many boundaries and my heart just breaks for him to come to know God. i was kind of hoping to catch him in his own game but then i dont know enough about it anymore. see, i found outthe real menaing of the word and i try to keep a strict vocabulary by using words only in their proper context, like using them where their true meanings apply, not the worldly meanings so skewed perceptions on words can trip philosophers up but he'll tell you he'll hate you for it, 'hate' because he doesn't understand the power behind that word. or so i've found. i intend to break the silence between us which initiated after the last time i witnessed to him, but truthfully, all he needs is a real friend. he's still going through sheer pain, and i dont know how to tell him that God intends otherwise for his life -jeremiah 29:11 ahh, i dont want to give up hope, can, all i do, is pray?

2005/7/26 20:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy